I'm looking for a Universal Remote.

zimmertr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I'm not sure if I should post in this forum, or Computer Peripherals, or something else. So If I posted here in error, I apologize.

Anyway...

I'm looking for a universal remote that controls my TV, computer, and preferably my stereo as well. Cross OS platforms would be really nice too. I have a Hackintosh, so being able to control Windows 7/8, Lion, and Ubuntu would be great though I suppose it is not required. I know all about this remote here. But as far as I know, it only controls your computer.

After asking around on Reddit, I understand that an IR or a RF receiver can make it so a normal universal remote can interact with my computer. What IR Receiver should I buy? Are they just tiny USB dongle or are they signal receptors that you put in your HDD bays?

Also, if I have an IR/RF receiver on my computer what functionality will my remote have? Will I be able to use it as a mouse? Will I be able to "click" with it? How about "right click"? Will I be able to pause/play/next/mute/etc in VLC/iTunes/Firefox? Where would I find the software driver for all of this?

I looked on Newegg and I can't seem to find any sort of IR/RF Receiver or anything else of that nature. I assume it's just a tiny micro dongle if not a drive bay insert? Also, does it matter what universal remote I pair it with aside from the IR or RF factor? A person on Reddit also said something about an HDMI CEC adapter and how that might work. Do you guys know if this setup is CEC compatible or how I can find out this information?

Here is the TV that I have. It is connected to my computer via this HDMI cable and it is coming from this Graphics Card. What do you think would be the best option for me here?