Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Main ATX cable into 12V plug

Last response: in Components
October 31, 2012 10:37:44 PM

Hello,

My PSU has 24-pins as the main motherboard power connector which can be split into a 20-pin and a 4-pin connector so it can support older mobos with 20-pin ports. By mistake, I plugged in the 4-pin connector -- that I split off -- of the main power connector into the 12V(4-pin) port. The dealer I got the mobo from thinks that I fried the mobo as a result.

As I was reading up more on the PSU, I realized that the main connector has 12V as well....although the part of electricity that causes damage is actually the amperage? Is it true that I can blow up a mobo by the mistake described above? I wanted to get a second opinion from an expert.

Thank you for your help!

Best solution

a c 701 ) Power supply
October 31, 2012 10:43:17 PM

Yes it can the extra pins do not only carry +12 volts, http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors....
a b ) Power supply
October 31, 2012 11:32:52 PM

The extra 4 pins on the 24-pin connector carry 1x3.3V, 1x5V, 1x12V and 1xGND. By plugging the +4 connector in the ATX12V motherboard connection, you shorted at least one of those three lines to ground and shorted the other two to each other.

If the PSU is bulk-regulated, the line(s) shorted to ground should have prevented voltage on other rails from 'ringing up' to their normal voltages.

Connect things properly and try booting again to see how your luck turned out.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2012 10:03:16 PM

Best answer selected by Matrixlaser.
m
l
November 14, 2012 10:04:07 PM

InvalidError said:
The extra 4 pins on the 24-pin connector carry 1x3.3V, 1x5V, 1x12V and 1xGND. By plugging the +4 connector in the ATX12V motherboard connection, you shorted at least one of those three lines to ground and shorted the other two to each other.

If the PSU is bulk-regulated, the line(s) shorted to ground should have prevented voltage on other rails from 'ringing up' to their normal voltages.

Connect things properly and try booting again to see how your luck turned out.

Thanks a million for your hwlp!
m
l
!