Refurbished GTX 460 okay?

SpacedMoth

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I'm looking to get a GTX 460 on newegg because from what I've heard its the best for my price range.
I found this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130690

I'm wondering if Newegg refurbished products are trustworthy, and if I should get it

Please don't just say "Just spend the 50 bucks and get a new one" I want honest opinions on the quality of refurbished items, and if I won't just get a card that was returned, left in the box, and then sent to me with a new sticker
I am super tight on cash, so I want to spend as little as possible

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
It is refurbished. It was returned for some reason. The manufacturer tested it, cleaned it up and put it back out into the retail chain.

Is there risk associated, yes. What do you want to know?

It is like buying a used car. You are taking a risk because you don't know who did what with it. If it comes with a factory warranty, treat it as new and go for it.

If the manufacturer is not warrantying it then I would spring for the extra bones to buy a new one.

DM186

Splendid
Refurbished is a product that had or didn't have a little problem. Some times when they say refurb could mean that in the limmited warranty the owner didn't like it and sent it back.

Since it was used they cannot by law resale as a new item so they mark it refurb. Sometimes there is a problem with it and a quick fix in the lab and back out for sale.

Any item sold has some kind of retrun or warranty by law. My sell phone is a refurb. I have a dell laptop referb and I have a camcorder that is referb. I have yet to find anything wrong them.

You have a better chance of getting a new item that is bad then you getting a refurb item. They already have been test driven and they know it is working.

So yeah get it and if it is bad which newegg has a good retrun program. I like referb stuff. Just because it doesn't have the new car smell doesn't mean that it isn't as good as the new one. Good luck to you and have with your upgrade.

G

If it was the 192 bit interface version id say pay the extra 10-15$ and spring for a new one.This one is the 256 bit version thats a really good price for that even a refurb id sau go for it.

G

ahhh your rightwish they wouldnt have made so many versions of the 460 cards.kind of out of hand.ya those are even slower then the 768 mb version.still a decent card but not worth $100 for a refurb imo.

DM186

Splendid

I am very curious as to how you know this to be the SE version? I am not trying to disprove you or any other reason to spark a problem. I truly don't see the difference.

The only thing I see is the cudda. It is 288 and the rest are 336. I would like to know if you care to share that info with me. I learn new stuff on this web site everyday.

Click on the OP's link and you'll see it plain as day.

It's not always the case, I purchased a totally new Antec 850W PSU for $200 and was faulty, so were the RAMs.

EDIT: I say go with the card, as long as you'll have a pretty good time to test the card.

4745454b

Titan
DM186, it says SE right in the model name.

For me, computer parts depreciate in value much to fast. When I built my first NEW computer, I spent $240 on my x1800XT. In about 3 years time the card was too old to keep using and I moved to a used 8800GS for around $80. I realized then that it didn't make much sense for me to drop so much money on a card when I can just buy a used one for much less. Even if I don't get 3 years out of it, I can just spend another ~$75-100 and pick up another one. I've been doing it ever since.

DM186

Splendid

:ouch: God you know me I am blind in one eye and can't see out the other. If it had been a snake I would be dead HA HA on me. Now I feel stupid. I look and look and never saw it.

Thanks man for pointing that out and I hope people can get a good laugh out of it because it is funny as heck. :pt1cable: :lol: :D