UK log in being forced instead of US login!!!

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
[strike]Why the hell have I suddenly lost the ability to use my login to tomshardware.com for forum posting??!! Why do I now have to use the tomshardware.co.uk domain and lose the posting history from .com??!!

Please, one login worldwide, is f***ing stupid to be doing anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/strike]

OK, I've calmed down a bit now.

The specific problem is related to the redirection of domain based on IP address. I am in the UK, but I have reason to use the .com site for news comments and forum, so I log in on .com. However, what's just started happening is once logged in to the .com forum, I go to forum subsections and find I've been redirected to the .co.uk domain, where the login is lost. So I have to login again, only to find that it's not giving me my .com profile.

So it looks like the domain redirection based on IP address has been re-instigated, which isn't a good function of a site like Tom's where there will regularly be IT staff accessing it from countries other than their home.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Why do we still have a dozen different versions of comments for news articles etc.? If you read any other article other then the US version then its empty. I really only want to use the US version (as thats where 99% are) but every time I login I get the empty UK version which is a waste of time. I have to then go to the US version.

Isn't it time we just had one worldwide comment section for the whole site?

been getting swapped about a bit the last few days.

over the last month or so i have submitted 2 or 3 avatar changes and over the last week they have shown up at different times only to be replaced with my current 1 half a day later.

so my guess is that tom's is working on the back end while trying to keep the site live. thus the problems with different logins.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Still not getting automatic access to the US version. I still arrive at the the empty UK version which is useless. I then have to go and manually choose the US version to find any comments.

Not a good advertisement for the site if new folks arrive and think no one else goes there.

lourson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

The .co.uk should now be absolutely similar to the .com forum. If you feel something is not working as it should, don't hesitate to report it of course. The redirection to .co.uk for European users is a business decision for now on which we can't do anything.

logainofhades

Titan

But I am US member. lol I click on a link on the .com site and get redirected to the .co.uk. Had this happen on the best CPU and GPU for the money articles.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Quite frequently, it's a cache issue that's been the culprit in the redirects for anyone in the US seeing the .co.uk domain. Be sure to clear your cache thoroughly, cookies and temp files, and then see if it's still giving you the same issue.

I am currently in the UK. I can not get in on the .com forum not even if I go through the tomshardware.com forum tab which means I can not jump back to the .com article links on the right hand side always end with the UK articles. How come I as a PERSON can not specify what site I go to and how can that be a business decision? I can at will go between ebay.com or .co.uk same with Amazon.com or .co.uk. On those sites I do not unwillingly get redirected.
Hope this does not apply as well when I am in other European countries.

Rollie did you clear your cache on the browser? I know you may have but sometimes even the smallest things can trip you up. Try doing an inprivate browsing , it cleared up my issue after spending a coulple weeks trying everything short of a full format and reinstall of Windows. I did one instance of inprivate browsing and restarted and then everything was back to normal and I don't have to do the inprivate any more.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
I am currently in the UK. I can not get in on the .com forum

If you are in Europe, you will be automatically redirected to the .co.uk site - that is the case. Please note that there are no differences between the two, and from the .co.uk site, you can view not only the News and Article commentary for the UK, but also the News and Article commentary for the US from the main forum view.

News and reports when hitting the links default to the .co.uk site http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/
I know I can type the .com in the address bar and that is the only way I am able to get those from the .com site presently.