Hoontech SB III I/O

mazyar

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2001
Hi all,
I have looked at a lot of various forums for my answer without any success.

I have: Sound balster live! value 4830

PII 400, 256 MRAM
Hoontech SB III

ATI Radeon 64 VIVO

OVATION DVD player

Windows 2000 with SP2

OK, I have been trying to get AC3 output from my setup.

I gather that the new drivers should have fixed this problem for win2k. (Please confirm this for me)

How do these drivers work with ATI's DVD player (in relation ship to AC3 passthrough)

But I am also wondering if I can use the on-board CD-Digital on the Hoontech board to send SPDIF signal from DVD player to the Hoontech and straight out of the optical out.

Is such a thing possible.

Would this be a AC3 passthrough solution?

How does this work with ATI's DVD player and it's ability (or inability to passthrough AC3?)

HAs anyone with a ATI VIVO in win2k and soundblaster live value card been able to have AC3 passthrough (using the native ATI's DVD player?)

P.S. The reason I use ATI's DVD player and not windvd or similar software is because of my low CPU speed (400). By using ATI's, at least some of the CPU load is taken by the graphics card.

Thanks for you responses.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you download DVD Genie, it has a feature that will allow you to send the signal SPDIF out. It will be in the "other" option tab. you can find the free software <A HREF="http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.html" target="_new"> here</A> This may fix your problem, and it has a lot of other tools you can use to manupulate the player.
Also, you may have to enable digital out on the Creative Surround mixer. Follow these directions:

By default, the Analog/ Digital Out jack of the audio card outputs analog center and subwoofer
channels. To allow it to give digital 6- channel or compressed AC- 3 SPDIF output (digital output
mode), do the following:
1. In the Main deck of the Surround Mixer, click the Speaker button.
2. In the Speaker view, click the Digital Output only check box to select it.
(This is available for all speaker modes except for the Headphones mode).
Alternatively, you can do the following:
1. In the Mixer deck of Surround Mixer, click the red plus sign above the VOL control.
2. In the dialog box that appears, click the Digital Output only check box to select it.
To switch back to analog output mode, clear this check box.
Changes made will be reflected in the Speaker view.

Hope this works out for you.

If it works for you then don't fix it.