Shameful PC Limitation!

kenj64

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Recently, my friends have been asking how to record streaming audio from websites via the web browser. I couldn't do this, either. I thought it was just me and my rig but it seems that Apple computers CAN do this with NO problems! But every PC user reports they can NOT do this? What's up with that?

I have heard of a virtual audio card. But why is this necessary? Shouldn't people be able to record anything coming in from the Internet? I installed the very latest drivers for my audio card and tried two different audio apps that have recording capability but could not get the audio stream. Your help is appreciated.

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
It is all app related. There are a million plug ins for different web browsers that can do this try that. Also you could just record the PC audio in general (everything) while you are listening to the stream.

kenj64

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
By continuing to search the Internet I finally found an answer, which I will share here.

I have an inexpensive aftermarket audio card which had basic C-Media drivers (no features). I used SIW (System Information for Windows) utility to find the C-Media version number, found and installed the latest driver (2009!). Now I have a configuration utility with an equalizer I was looking for.

Still no way to tap the incoming audio stream from my Internet browser. I went to Multimedia Properties/Sound and selected the Recording tab. Seems the problem is that most of the options are dimmed and the nomenclature says, "Currently unavailable." If it's unavailable then........ it must not be available! Not so.

Per instructions on another forum I found I could select an unavailable device, click Set Default and ...... it magically became available! Who knew? Apparently very few because I found people with my same compliant all over the web. This option is not intuitive. And the C-Media documentation gives no clue - useless.

I sure hope this post helps some people. Apple computer users with virtually no tech skills can do this stuff easy. Why is it so hard for PC users to figure it out? I'm a retired IT guy and have been stymied by this problem for years. Remember when GUI operating systems were promised to be "intuitive?" How come we still have some miles to go. Oh wait, Windows 8 will resolve all these problems :)

Blessings,
-=Ken=-