Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Will this triple monitor setup work?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 1, 2012 11:20:20 PM

What's up guys. So like many PC gamers out there I want options. I've been researching which new displays to get.I want a 5760x1080 setup. I love 3d gaming. then I just tried a 120hz monitor on BF3. Holy crap! Sooo smooth and realistic.I don't think I can go back to 60fps in FPS games. So I'm trying to figure out a setup with the option of all 3 without breaking the bank to much. Triple 3d displays would just be impossible to run 120hz or 3d at the same time. So I want to save some money and put 2 60 hz monitors as the side monitors.

Ok been researching so i choose this monitor for middle screen http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063BM5NK/ref=as_li_s...

And 2 of these for the sides.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VK278Q-27-Inch-LED-Monitor/d...

WOULD IT WORK?

Also thinking about 23inch versions of the Asus monitors if 3 27in might be to big
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2012 12:14:57 AM

What are you using for a graphics card?

27" is huge, especially if you have three, they will take up your entire desk. My 24" monitor is 25" almost 26", meaning by the same ratio, a 27" monitor will be close to 29" wide per monitor, so you would need a 90" (7.5 ft.) desk to fit them side by side (slightly less angled).
May 2, 2012 12:24:13 AM

You're not going to be able to use it in 120 Hz mode. The refresh rates need to be the same for all displays.
Related resources
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2012 12:31:26 AM

Swolern said:
680SLI. As for desk space I would need a tri monitor stand because the side monitors would be hanging over. Something like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E9VF1U/ref=mp_s_a_12?...


Ah, but realise that certain settings (Eyefinity for one, HDMI as a connection for another), the monitors will only run at 60Hz.
May 2, 2012 12:35:05 AM

aicom said:
You're not going to be able to use it in 120 Hz mode. The refresh rates need to be the same for all displays.


yes I understand that. my goal is to only use the middle monitor when playing first person shooters at 120 hertz. then you use the triple monitor setup for 5760x1080 @ 60hz in adventure or racing games.

that is my question. will all 3 monitors completely synchronize at 60 hertz
May 2, 2012 12:44:41 AM

Ah ok. Yes, your monitors will all work at 60 Hz.
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2012 12:54:54 AM

Swolern said:
yes I understand that. my goal is to only use the middle monitor when playing first person shooters at 120 hertz. then you use the triple monitor setup for 5760x1080 @ 60hz in adventure or racing games.

that is my question. will all 3 monitors completely synchronize at 60 hertz


Also, if you buy that stand, buy velcro or zip ties just so you won't have a cable mess everywhere. Even if you have cable management built into the stand, use three different colors of zip ties so you can differentiate which cable goes to what monitor, instead of "guess and check".
May 2, 2012 2:03:19 AM

Thx ski 1939 that's some good tips.

I just heard some people were having problems with a triple setup (all 60hz) if the monitors weren't exactly the same. I know I can just downclock the 120hz monitor to match the other monitors. I just want to make sure before I invest the money.

Has anyone actually seen or heard of a setup like this?
May 2, 2012 3:13:12 AM

Anyone? I want to buy tonight. :D 

Best solution

a b C Monitor
May 2, 2012 3:31:10 AM
Share

Swolern said:
Thx ski 1939 that's some good tips.

I just heard some people were having problems with a triple setup (all 60hz) if the monitors weren't exactly the same. I know I can just downclock the 120hz monitor to match the other monitors. I just want to make sure before I invest the money.

Has anyone actually seen or heard of a setup like this?


No problem.

They've tried it over on the "[H]" forums, but have come to the conclusion that "It is possible to set them with different rates, but you'll get major screen flickering/jumping. I had this happen when I had two different model monitors and one kept defaulting to 59hz and another to 60hz." Although they did have someone who supposedly got an 85Hz CRT to work with 2 60Hz LCD's.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1492572

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1641349
May 2, 2012 4:13:57 AM

sk1939 said:
No problem.

They've tried it over on the "[H]" forums, but have come to the conclusion that "It is possible to set them with different rates, but you'll get major screen flickering/jumping. I had this happen when I had two different model monitors and one kept defaulting to 59hz and another to 60hz." Although they did have someone who supposedly got an 85Hz CRT to work with 2 60Hz LCD's.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1492572

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1641349


Thanks ski1939. Ive been looking everywhere. Their scenarios were a little different. One had a setup with different screens CRT @ 85Hz and LCD @ 60Hz. And the other ones used Eyefinity. My current 120Hz monitor defaults to 60Hz on Nvidia's profile. So maybe when i connect the other 2 Asus they will all default to 60Hz. I definitely know ill have problems trying to run different refresh rate. But hopefully if i can get them all to 60Hz then it might work.

I guess i can jump in with both feet and if it doesnt work I believe Amazon has a pretty good return policy. But kepping my 120Hz for sure.
a b C Monitor
July 8, 2012 8:02:24 PM

Best answer selected by Nikorr.
a b C Monitor
July 8, 2012 8:02:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!