~1500 Gaming and Editing Rig

DBounlom

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hello. First build.

Date needed: Immediately unless great deals coming up

Budget Range: ~ $1500. Flexible.

System use: Gaming (all types from Skyrim to Diablo 3 to BF3). Photoshop. Also some video and sideshow editing.

Parts NOT required: Need everything

Preferred parts sites: Will use any site.

Parts preference: I lean towards Intel and nVidia

Overclocking: In the future

SLI/Crossfire: Maybe, but most likely not.

Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1080

--------------------------------------------
I am very open to any suggestions. I am a novice who reads forums. I previously posted about a month ago, but something personal happened. I haven't been able to purchase anything since then. All personal conflicts cleared up, and I want to buy within the next day or two. Here is my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aQDz

The only question I have is will the Ram be compatible? I looked up the RAM on this compatibility list,

http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3

I do not see my RAM on this list. Does anyone know if it will work?

Rough price is $1512

I plan on getting a 1TB 7200 HDD later in a few months.

I kind of want the i7 for more processing power during video edits (not sure if this is even true).

Please let me know if there are any compatibility issues. Any comments on other things I might need is appreciated. Please let me know if I forgot anything. Thank you in advance for the help!

Solution
You have made some good choices.

The PSU you picked out is good. PC Power and Cooling is one of the best in the market. The RAM you picked out is also of good quality. You might as well get the 1600 for a few bucks more.

I would get the AMD Radeon 7970 for its GPU compute power. GTX 670 is better for gaming though (in terms of price and performance). Up to you to decide.

The rest of your parts are good to go I think. :)

Patflute

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Screw compatibility lists.

Get a Z77 and i7-3770k instead, also you don't need an i7 for gaming. i5 does fine. I have no idea if you need all that horse power just for editing though.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288
As you can see it has very similar performance for $100 less lol. Go with an i5-3570k if you're going with an i5.

650 watts will be good if you're not going to sli.

Get 8gb of ram 2x4gb 1600mhz.

You forgot Windows 7 and a hard drive (128 is literally nothing.)

DBounlom

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hi!

I think I prefer the i7 for video editing and photoshop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CPU is more intensive for that type of work.

Do you have a suggestion for the psu or ram? I picked the psu because it is a decent price.

I forgot to mention that I have a copy of windows 7 64 bit ultimate from a previous laptop I got a few years ago. I also forgot to mention that I'll probably buy a 1 tb hard drive in a few months.

Thanks for any help!

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
You have made some good choices.

The PSU you picked out is good. PC Power and Cooling is one of the best in the market. The RAM you picked out is also of good quality. You might as well get the 1600 for a few bucks more.

I would get the AMD Radeon 7970 for its GPU compute power. GTX 670 is better for gaming though (in terms of price and performance). Up to you to decide.

The rest of your parts are good to go I think. :)

Solution