Benefits of a guild?

Just wondering what they are...
Having people to join you on hard quests/instances
Trading between guildee's
Being part of something bigger than an individual
Anything else?

"Fugwump" <fugwumpN0SPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering what they are...
> Having people to join you on hard quests/instances
> Trading between guildee's
> Being part of something bigger than an individual
> Anything else?

Ask if you get a free T-shirt

No T-shirt dont join :)

Fugwump wrote:
> Just wondering what they are...

From what I gather it sounds like "all of the below." I say this
because I've stayed unguilded up to 41 on my Paladin. Many pickup
groupmates have asked whether I want to join their guild after seeing
me in action in the course of an instance or a quest, which is always
flattering. So far I've always answered "Thank you, but I've made it
this far without being in a guild and am curious how much farther I
can go. Can I take a rain check?"

The above isn't quite true; I *did* sign a charter for a guild and was
technically a member up through about 20. I say "technically" because
I never once did anything with a guildmate. It's entirely possible
that my viewpoint is colored by being one of the few members of a new,
small, obscure guild. Were I a member of Rapture or Irate Pirates, two
of the highest total-XP guilds on Llane according to the census sites,
that might be different.

> Having people to join you on hard quests/instances

My Friends list filled up a while ago with people I've met through
questing and struck me as above average in some way. Most I haven't
seen again, but I've stayed in touch with some.

In general I've typically not had trouble rounding up a group should I
feel the need through channel 3. But it sounds like a good guild
should reduce such downtimes to near zero.

> Trading between guildee's

Although I like the idea of a 300-level blacksmith making me an
Arcanite Reaper someday, I've been happy enough with random drops and
quest rewards to not miss access to high-level crafted items.

(Incidentally, I do get the sense that my drops-only policy might be
catching up with me; now that I can wear plate twice I've had
groupmates ask me why I don't wear more of it. I've found three plate
items so far; one I wear, one I can't wear until 42, and the plate
shield actually was inferior to a 37 Blue shield. Is 1400+ AC with no
Devotion Aura or shield horribly low for a Paladin my level? (That 37
Blue shield would add another 1700+ AC, but I haven't found a good
level-commensurate one-handed weapon to replace my aging
Electrocutioner's Leg, and in any case, I enjoy using a slow
two-handed weapon with Seal of Command too much.)

> Being part of something bigger than an individual

Again, were I a part of some superguild with more than 100 members and
many active participants I might wonder how I'd ever gone without
membership, so it's entirely possible I just don't know what I'm
missing. At the same time, I'm leery of committing to anything that
entails (say) regular raids; I just don't have the time.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 7.9% us, 1.8% sy, 0.5% ni, 87.9% id, 1.8% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Fugwump" <fugwumpN0SPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering what they are...
> Having people to join you on hard quests/instances
> Trading between guildee's
> Being part of something bigger than an individual
> Anything else?

I soloed to 60, joined a guild around 58. At the time saw no real benefit
to a guild - looking back, I would have wanted to join (my guild, at least)
at about 40.

With the later instances, things are a whole lot nicer. Loot rules are
never even mentioned - a good blue drops and before any one even bothers
passing or rolling, the best candidate for the item starts getting "gratz"
messages from the rest of the players.

In the more challenging instance runs, things are INFINITELY better than
doing a group non-guilded. Even if one were to assume guilded and mixed
guilded/non-guilded groups are of equal ability, the fact that we've played
with eachother enough to know strengths and weaknesses makes these instances
much, much more enjoyable. Wipes are very, very rare.

Also, while I've been 60 for about 6 weeks, I'm still not very good in
instances. In part cause I'm a hunter and instances are a bit trickier for
us to get range, use pet effectively, etc. In part cause I soloed so much I
just have less experience than most. At least once per instance I'll
unsheep something (usually several times) or shoot off a bad tab targetting
and pull a bunch of adds. I always apologize and always get a "lol. np"
No condescending tone, no "noob!!", etc. Thankfully I'm not the only one to
screw up fairly consistently.

Bottom line - getting to 60 unguilded is do-able and your not missing much.
Though I do think there's a nice benefit to joining a guild for instances
past Scarlet Monastery. For end game instances, I think finding a good
guild is the only way to go.

On 2 May 2005 19:45:26 GMT, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> So far I've always answered "Thank you, but I've made it
> this far without being in a guild and am curious how much farther I
> can go. Can I take a rain check?"

I did exactly that with my priest right up to 60. Eventually, at 60, I
joined a small guild of the people I had mostly played with from 40-60,
since it seemed easier that way (can chat on the guild channel) and to stop
the insane amount of offers to join someone's guild (and at 60 I just ran
out of explanations, but also didn't want to offend people by constantly
declining their well-meant invitations).

M.

"Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 2 May 2005 19:45:26 GMT, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>
> > So far I've always answered "Thank you, but I've made it
> > this far without being in a guild and am curious how much farther I
> > can go. Can I take a rain check?"
>
> I did exactly that with my priest right up to 60. Eventually, at 60, I
> joined a small guild of the people I had mostly played with from 40-60,
> since it seemed easier that way (can chat on the guild channel) and to
stop
> the insane amount of offers to join someone's guild (and at 60 I just ran
> out of explanations, but also didn't want to offend people by constantly
> declining their well-meant invitations).

My reasoning given was pretty simple. I'm a solo player, so I'm not
particularly interested in heavy raiding and questing guilds. I'm a crass
cynical foul-mouthed bastard in-game, so a family guild would be about as
much fun as gumming on dirty socks. I enjoy roleplaying, but the
sword&sworcery bad-fantasy-novel stock rp most guilds engage in just doesn't
engage me. I was tempted to join one guild, around my late 30's, but had to
admit that I would never... ever... join a guild run by a bunch of longears.
I remained happily guildless, though I had plans on starting something of my
own (laid out in a very militant fashion - an rp guild based on psychosis).

Then this alchoholic dwarf started heckling me during one of my street
preaching episodes. He did such a good job, that it quickly became a
near-curse-match between he and I, as the crowd went wild. Then he
described his guild, which was, of course, insane. 15 minutes later, I was
in.

The one I'm in is more of a social club. We talk, we goof around, sometimes
we quest but mostly we try to out-weird eachother. It's all in fun,
extremely casual, and nobody has to do jack.

"Fugwump" <fugwumpN0SPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering what they are...
> Having people to join you on hard quests/instances
> Trading between guildee's
> Being part of something bigger than an individual
> Anything else?

My guildmaster is an excellent weaponcrafter. As soon as my pally hit 47, he
awarded me with a free Truesilver Champion 2-handed sword for free. I would
have never been able to afford one otherwise...that right there made joining
the guild worthwhile.

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Fugwump <fugwumpN0SPAM@gmail.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> Just wondering what they are...
> Having people to join you on hard quests/instances
> Trading between guildee's
> Being part of something bigger than an individual
> Anything else?

You can get all those things from joining a guild (though in some
guilds - none of those (but not for long. /gquit will fix that:)), but I
didn't join a guild for any of those reasons. the reason I joined a
guild was for the camaraderie. I wasn't thinking of trading with
guildies or getting help with hard parts of the game when I joined, I
just joined up for the comradeship. I guess that your answer "Being part
of something bigger than an individual" would cover that, but to me it's
all that and more.

--
Doc

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Everett Hickey <everett@ev1.net> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 2 May 2005 19:45:26 GMT, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>>
>>> So far I've always answered "Thank you, but I've made it
>>> this far without being in a guild and am curious how much farther
>>> can go. Can I take a rain check?"
>>
>> I did exactly that with my priest right up to 60. Eventually, at
>> 60, I joined a small guild of the people I had mostly played with
>> from 40-60, since it seemed easier that way (can chat on the guild
>> channel) and to
> stop
>> the insane amount of offers to join someone's guild (and at 60 I
>> just ran out of explanations, but also didn't want to offend
>> people by constantly declining their well-meant invitations).
>
> My reasoning given was pretty simple. I'm a solo player, so I'm not
> particularly interested in heavy raiding and questing guilds. I'm
> a crass cynical foul-mouthed bastard in-game, so a family guild
> would be about as much fun as gumming on dirty socks. I enjoy
> roleplaying, but the sword&sworcery bad-fantasy-novel stock rp most
> guilds engage in just doesn't engage me. I was tempted to join one
> guild, around my late 30's, but had to admit that I would never...
> ever... join a guild run by a bunch of longears.

<gasp!> That's specieism (or something) that is!! You can get into
trouble for that!

--
Doc
;)

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Everett Hickey <everett@ev1.net> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:

> The one I'm in is more of a social club. We talk, we goof around,
> sometimes we quest but mostly we try to out-weird eachother. It's
> all in fun, extremely casual, and nobody has to do jack.

Sounds like my guild, apart from the "out-weird eachother" part.

--
Doc

On Tue, 3 May 2005 11:06:09 +1000, "Doc"
<the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:

>Everett Hickey <everett@ev1.net> stared blankly into space for a
>short while before writing:
>>
>> The one I'm in is more of a social club. We talk, we goof around,
>> sometimes we quest but mostly we try to out-weird eachother. It's
>> all in fun, extremely casual, and nobody has to do jack.
>
>Sounds like my guild, apart from the "out-weird eachother" part.

Sounds exactly like the guild i run. Except we have taken to NUDE
RAIDING!

Basically we raid a low level alliance territory, with just our capes
on.

Our favourite is the gnome starting area.

--
Gamertag: unclechibi
http://unclechibi.blogspot.com

Trooper

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

Alastair Foster loved her ferret enough to say...
> On Tue, 3 May 2005 11:06:09 +1000, "Doc"
> <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Everett Hickey <everett@ev1.net> stared blankly into space for a
> >short while before writing:
> >>
> >> The one I'm in is more of a social club. We talk, we goof around,
> >> sometimes we quest but mostly we try to out-weird eachother. It's
> >> all in fun, extremely casual, and nobody has to do jack.
> >
> >Sounds like my guild, apart from the "out-weird eachother" part.
>
> Sounds exactly like the guild i run. Except we have taken to NUDE
> RAIDING!
>
> Basically we raid a low level alliance territory, with just our capes
> on.
>
> Our favourite is the gnome starting area.

But what about our sexy tabard?

--
Trooper
usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

Fugwump wrote:
> Just wondering what they are...
> Having people to join you on hard quests/instances
> Trading between guildee's
> Being part of something bigger than an individual
> Anything else?

All of those are true.

Also people to do all the different tradeskills and to help each other with
getting the components. And telling each other how to find things and do
quests, and giving advice on where to go next. And helping out with those
things when people need help.

But the main reason to me for being in my guild is the people. We're only a
small guild but I'd find the game a much duller place without some friends to
chat to in the guild channel. I don't know any of these people in real life at
all but I'd miss them now if the guild was to go away.

Yarral, 42 Tauren Shaman of Silvermoon EU. Member of Wraiths and Strays guild.

TRENDING THREADS