in the market for a new digital camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 2, 2005 5:16:02 PM

Hey all.

I'm currently use an Olympus C-700 Ultra Zoom. Bought it in 2001 for
its 10x optical zoom and, at the time, monstrous 128MB memory cards.

Some good friends of ours are budgetting some money to buy us a new
digital camera for our upcoming wedding, and would like us to pick
which model to get. We figure we can spend $400-$450 on the camera and
use what's left on an extra memory card; I'll use PriceGrabber.com to
find the best deals.

So I'm here to solicit some opinions on a sturdy digital camera that
fits our needs:

Our primary necessity is a fast autofocus. My C-700 takes a good 4-5
seconds per shot to focus and the shutterspeed is horrible when taking
action shots, especially in low light. We attended a dance recital for
our junior bridesmaids and more than half of the photos had to be
junked because they were blurry. We'd like for that not to happen
again, even if it means sacrificing megapixels for it. Now, we don't
take pro photography at sporting events or anything, we don't need
something super high end, but something that will let us track kids
running or playing in the yard and not be blurry would be really nice.

Secondly, being a bit of a shutterbug, I enjoy having the 10x optical
zoom, but I haven't seen many models in our price range that continue
with such a high zoom capability, but I'd enjoy something at least 5x
optical. I avoid digital zoom like the plague. My biggest beef with the
C-700 is that at 10x optical zoom you're pretty much forced to being on
a tripod for steady shots.

Thanks for any insight or ideas. Feel free to Email my gmail account
with info.

More about : market digital camera

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:47:48 PM

Thanks dms ... In the time between posting and seeing your reply, the
Canon S2 IS was a model that stuck out at pricegrabber and cnet for
great reviews, guess I'll consider that one.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:36:35 AM

On 2 Aug 2005 13:16:02 -0700, id.at.w98.dot.us@gmail.com <id.at.w98.dot.us@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> I'm currently use an Olympus C-700 Ultra Zoom. Bought it in 2001 for
> its 10x optical zoom and, at the time, monstrous 128MB memory cards.
>
> Some good friends of ours are budgetting some money to buy us a new
> digital camera for our upcoming wedding, and would like us to pick
> which model to get. We figure we can spend $400-$450 on the camera and
> use what's left on an extra memory card; I'll use PriceGrabber.com to
> find the best deals.
>
> So I'm here to solicit some opinions on a sturdy digital camera that
> fits our needs:
>
> Our primary necessity is a fast autofocus. My C-700 takes a good 4-5
> seconds per shot to focus and the shutterspeed is horrible when taking
> action shots, especially in low light. We attended a dance recital for
> our junior bridesmaids and more than half of the photos had to be
> junked because they were blurry. We'd like for that not to happen
> again, even if it means sacrificing megapixels for it. Now, we don't
> take pro photography at sporting events or anything, we don't need
> something super high end, but something that will let us track kids
> running or playing in the yard and not be blurry would be really nice.
>
> Secondly, being a bit of a shutterbug, I enjoy having the 10x optical
> zoom, but I haven't seen many models in our price range that continue
> with such a high zoom capability, but I'd enjoy something at least 5x
> optical. I avoid digital zoom like the plague. My biggest beef with the
> C-700 is that at 10x optical zoom you're pretty much forced to being on
> a tripod for steady shots.

The current generation of superzoom (mostly 12x) cameras list for $500;
you probably can find them for $450ish without too much trouble. Most of
them have image stabilization, which helps alot with the camera shake
issue.

I believe that the current champion for fast focus in this group is the
Panasonic FZ5. That's the model I have (more for the light weight than
anything else; it's definitely the lightest of the stabilized
superzooms) and it focuses pretty well at most light levels, usually in
under a second. Other, comparable, models to look at include the Canon
S2 IS and the Sony H1.

-dms
Related resources
August 3, 2005 11:08:46 AM

In article <1123013762.550950.204350@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "id.at.w98.dot.us@gmail.com" <id.at.w98.dot.us@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hey all.
>
>I'm currently use an Olympus C-700 Ultra Zoom. Bought it in 2001 for
>its 10x optical zoom and, at the time, monstrous 128MB memory cards.
>
>Some good friends of ours are budgetting some money to buy us a new
>digital camera for our upcoming wedding, and would like us to pick
>which model to get. We figure we can spend $400-$450 on the camera and
>use what's left on an extra memory card; I'll use PriceGrabber.com to
>find the best deals.
>
>So I'm here to solicit some opinions on a sturdy digital camera that
>fits our needs:
>
>Our primary necessity is a fast autofocus. My C-700 takes a good 4-5
>seconds per shot to focus and the shutterspeed is horrible when taking
>action shots, especially in low light. We attended a dance recital for
>our junior bridesmaids and more than half of the photos had to be
>junked because they were blurry. We'd like for that not to happen
>again, even if it means sacrificing megapixels for it. Now, we don't
>take pro photography at sporting events or anything, we don't need
>something super high end, but something that will let us track kids
>running or playing in the yard and not be blurry would be really nice.
>
>Secondly, being a bit of a shutterbug, I enjoy having the 10x optical
>zoom, but I haven't seen many models in our price range that continue
>with such a high zoom capability, but I'd enjoy something at least 5x
>optical. I avoid digital zoom like the plague. My biggest beef with the
>C-700 is that at 10x optical zoom you're pretty much forced to being on
>a tripod for steady shots.
>
>Thanks for any insight or ideas. Feel free to Email my gmail account
>with info.

Maybe look at the Olympus C7070
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_c7070...

Or the Canon Powershot S2 IS
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s2is....
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:31:12 AM

id.at.w98.dot.us@gmail.com wrote:
[]
> Secondly, being a bit of a shutterbug, I enjoy having the 10x optical
> zoom, but I haven't seen many models in our price range that continue
> with such a high zoom capability, but I'd enjoy something at least 5x
> optical. I avoid digital zoom like the plague. My biggest beef with
> the C-700 is that at 10x optical zoom you're pretty much forced to
> being on a tripod for steady shots.

Look at one of the cameras with an image-stabilised lens:

Panasonic FZ5: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/

Panasonic FZ20: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/

There are other makes but my view is that the Pansonic have the better
image quality. The Canon S2 IS and Panasonic FZ30 have a swivel LCD and
more resolution in movie mode.

David
!