Sign in with
Your question

ATI & NVIDIA COEXISTANCE!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2012 1:21:23 AM

Hi I am currently planning on upgrading my computer to newer better graphic cards. I currently have installed 2 ATI Radeon HD 6770 series working together with crossfire, the reason for this is that some games work better with nvidia and others work better with ATI so my question is; Can ATI and NVIDIA coexist on the same computer, lets say I use one card for as the display output for my monitor and the other as the graphic processing card for my games or vise versa depending on witch card the game works best with?

More about : ati nvidia coexistance

a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 1:38:59 AM

Why waste your money on 2 cards that run one game better? Why not just combine the money from the 2 and get a much better GPU that will most likely be a lot faster than both?
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 1:43:30 AM

^+1
You will have conflicting drivers, the CCC, and the nVidia control panel. It wood be cool but the on way you can do that is with two rigs with a KVM switch. So both rigs share the same monitor.
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2012 2:09:50 AM

More often than not, running two lower end cards in crossfire/SLI will offer similar performance to a single GPU of the same value. And some games tend to have problems with multiple GPU setups, until drivers address the issues. I would just get a single GPU like Bavman said. Less Driver issues, less heat = pretty good deal.
m
l
May 2, 2012 2:26:07 AM

why would it be worth it anyway? sure sure a game could perform better with an NVIDIA card for example but is the performance gain really that greater than using an ATI card that would be at the same performance? it sounds like you are just trying to cause a headache for yourself just for a small performance gain
m
l
May 2, 2012 2:59:02 AM

it's complicating the simple. the simple is, get the more powerful card than your competitor. just dont get enough, you may consider to have spare performance to counter its disadvantages on specific games. the most important is you must have a target of what average fps you want to achieved all time (for me 35-50 ok, >50 better).
m
l
May 2, 2012 1:12:08 PM

37712 said:
Hi I am currently planning on upgrading my computer to newer better graphic cards. I currently have installed 2 ATI Radeon HD 6770 series working together with crossfire, the reason for this is that some games work better with nvidia and others work better with ATI so my question is; Can ATI and NVIDIA coexist on the same computer, lets say I use one card for as the display output for my monitor and the other as the graphic processing card for my games or vise versa depending on witch card the game works best with?

The problem is that the card your monitor is plugged into is the one that will output the display.

I guess you could disable a PCI-E slot, and then have 2 sets of drivers and enable/disable the slots as needed and install/uninstall drivers as needed as well as swap your display port from one card to the next, but what a headache. Might as well just have 2 cards and actually open the case and swap them out as needed etc.

There will be conflicts running two different sets of display drivers at the same time while both cards are powered up.

Some games are optimised for ATI and some are optimised for Nvidia but the top end cards from both companies are more than capable of running any game regardless of its preferred brand.
m
l
May 2, 2012 1:36:38 PM

BigMack70 said:
^^ wow I'd love to see someone review that and test a bunch of combinations

I highly doubt that it really works, but if it does, that would be a really unique and cool selling feature.

In an ideal world :D 
m
l
May 2, 2012 3:02:36 PM

MSI Fuzion boards leverage Lucid Hydra. It had very poor reviews and suffered from poor compatability:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_Engine

I haven't heard much about it since 2010 or so. It may be dead. As referenced by the post above "rip lucid hydra".
m
l
May 2, 2012 9:19:11 PM

graemevermeulen said:
The problem is that the card your monitor is plugged into is the one that will output the display.

I guess you could disable a PCI-E slot, and then have 2 sets of drivers and enable/disable the slots as needed and install/uninstall drivers as needed as well as swap your display port from one card to the next, but what a headache. Might as well just have 2 cards and actually open the case and swap them out as needed etc.

There will be conflicts running two different sets of display drivers at the same time while both cards are powered up.

Some games are optimised for ATI and some are optimised for Nvidia but the top end cards from both companies are more than capable of running any game regardless of its preferred brand.

The reason why I want to do this is that i like to play several different games that support different technologies from ATI or NVIDIA cards for example i wish to play doom 3, it was designed for NVIDIA and is known to have some severe ATI complications specially when using mods, I am lucky enough that i can play this game in its original version but i cant play it with mods. another example would be oblivion witch works much better with ATI, NVIDIA users are known to have several problems with this game and are not allowed to enable HDR rendering with NVIDIA on this game this is why i want to do this plus crossfire and sli does not do much for increasing performance in some of these games. this is why I want to do this i don't care about the cards working together i just want to be able to choose witch card i want to use to play a game
m
l
May 2, 2012 9:23:21 PM

C12Friedman said:
MSI Fuzion boards claim to be able to accomodate one from each (only one of each) on the same board
http://event.msi.com/mb/fuzionseries/
I have no clue how or if it works

I dont really care about the cards working together i just want to be able to choose witch card i want to play a game with ATI or NVIDIA
m
l
May 2, 2012 9:31:18 PM

37712 said:

I have more than enough processing power to play all the games I want at ultra high quality so the performance upgrade is not the main issue here my issue is that some games have technologies that are compatible only with ATI or NVIDIA or in most cases work better with either of them. games that i play: doom 3 and its expansion, oblivion, fallout 3, fallout 3 las vegas, skyrim, minecraft, penumbra, amnesia, SW empire at war, among others.
m
l
May 2, 2012 10:09:52 PM

care to explain what technologies you are referring to.
m
l
!