> Mine is...
>
> Warrior - Tank Tank and more Tank
> Rogue - DPS Baby
> Mage - For sheep and shackle
> Priest - Healing
> Shamman - Totems rock !!

> Mages don't shackle. Priests do. =P

Sorry had a Blonde moment there :)
Didnt meen to put shackle with the Mage :(

"nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Mine is...
>
> Warrior - Tank Tank and more Tank
> Rogue - DPS Baby
> Mage - For sheep and shackle
> Priest - Healing
> Shamman - Totems rock !!

It sounds a bit limited... but honestly, after having experienced it a
number of times, my all-time favorite has to be:

Paladin
Paladin
Paladin
Paladin
Paladin

You're guaranteed healing even in the worst extremity, it quickly turns into
a buff fest (if your party can organize who buffs what), and while it takes
longer for the bigger baddies to drop, wipes are rare (especially
considering that each and every party member can res any other). It's even
better when there is a variety of specs (some retributions, some holy, and
some protection).

Optimally, working with long-time guildees w/ Teamspeak, when the party is
hyper-organized and everyone knows everyone else's moves, interests, and
weaknesses by heart, the following is probably the most ballanced:
1 Warrior - the uber-tank - first into combat, and holds his attention
2 Mages - the heavy artillery - with a pair of these guys, most encounters
go pretty damned quick - especially when you have two different specs
2 Pallys - good for general purpose combat - not as big on damage, but great
for buffing, healing, ressing, and general close-combat support of the tank
1 Rogue - melee dps. Nothing on the level of a mage, but when all hell does
break loose that Rogue is still dealing monster DPS after the mages have
gone down

But under most circumstances, especially when the party isn't that familiar
with eachother, the easiest, slickest, and most awe-inspiring dungeon
assaults I've seen came when you had a quintet of paladins riding in. That
weak-combat jack-of-all-trades effect can be amplified immensely when you
have 5 of them.

I suspect something similar may occur for Shamans, due to their similar
nature.

"nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Mine is...
>
> Warrior - Tank Tank and more Tank
> Rogue - DPS Baby
> Mage - For sheep and shackle
> Priest - Healing
> Shamman - Totems rock !!

Did a quest yesterday with 4 rogues and a priest... I'm sure there are
instances where this would not work, but for your average quest situ-
ation, you'll roll thru everything like a steamroller. It was the most
unbelievably fast and viscious quest completion I've ever been a part
of, I almost felt sorry for the poor bastidges we were slaughtering like
helpless lambs.
-Marshall (and the priest pretty much just read a novel thru it all...)

mikel

Marshall wrote:
> "nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Mine is...
>>
>>Warrior - Tank Tank and more Tank
>>Rogue - DPS Baby
>>Mage - For sheep and shackle
>>Priest - Healing
>>Shamman - Totems rock !!
>

> Did a quest yesterday with 4 rogues and a priest... I'm sure there are
> instances where this would not work, but for your average quest situ-
> ation, you'll roll thru everything like a steamroller. It was the most
> unbelievably fast and viscious quest completion I've ever been a part
> of, I almost felt sorry for the poor bastidges we were slaughtering like
> helpless lambs.

I'm interested in experiments with unconventional groups.

I played for a while in a trio consisting of two rogues and a shaman.
That was fun.

I'm in a group that is experimenting with a fairly intense RP thing, and
this particular group is a little unusual in its composition--three
mages and two warlocks. We always play with the same group. We're having
much less trouble with deaths than we expected. We have only wiped once
so far (we've been playing at regular times for four weeks now), and we
have had only a few scattered individual deaths. Mainly, the high DPS
seems to save us most of the time, though some potions are also
involved. Battles are totally crazy, and very fast. We expect to have
more trouble as we move into higher-level instances, but that's part of
the challenge that we intentionally set for ourselves.

The 4 rogues and one priest party sounds great.

I'd love to try 5 shamans.

I also play regularly in a duo with a warlock and a hunter; that pair is
surprisingly effective. We've found that adding a third person often
actually makes u sless effective. I speculate that we get a lot of
efficiency out of knowing each other's play styles extremely well.

On 2 May 2005 12:43:57 -0700, nvrsbr wrote:

> Mine is...

Hmm ... depends on the instance. ;) From 40 to 60 I played with an
"unusual" group (pal, priest, mage, warlock, hunter, no warrior), and we
did really well. Being an instance junkie, I (priest) have done all kinds
of combinations so far, and I think that many work, even if they are not
perfect. Imperfect groups with good, fun people are quite enjoyable. But
anyway... on the paper, my perfect group looks like this:

Warrior (defensive, 1H/shield)
Mage (skilled for instances, arcane explosion)
Priest (well, me! - disc/holy)
Hunter *or* Rogue, with a preference for the hunter
Paladin *or* Druid, with a preference for the paladin

I also like playing with warlocks, and I think they can take the fourth
slot. A well-played paladin (rare as they are) is great in a party ... the
aura, the seals, the ability to rez, the ability to off-tank, the ability
to be secondary healer if the situation calls for it, all quite useful!
Hunters deal great damage, are low maintenance for the priest, their pet
can be a small DoT or a situational off-tank, the hunter can tank a little
if it's necessary, the traps are quite useful if used properly. Rogues can
be a priest's nightmare, but do excellent damage and can stun. I do prefer
hunters for that slot, though. Druids, well, most are actually replacements
for the priest, so I rarely play with any (being a priest), except in raid
instances.

M.

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

"nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Mine is...
>
> Warrior - Tank Tank and more Tank
> Rogue - DPS Baby
> Mage - For sheep and shackle
> Priest - Healing
> Shamman - Totems rock !!

Warrior - Tank!
Rogue - DPS, and with the warrior hopefully holding attention, a lot of it.
Hunter - sustained range, an extra entity on the field (pet), and good at
pulling things off the squishies....plus, Eagle Eye and Track [blah] for
scouting will save your life.
Priest - duh.
Mage - sheep and ranged burst damage.

-[Blayde]-
But that's just a personal favorite...there are plenty of group dynamics
that work. Hell, I had a great ZF group that was a warrior, a druid, and
three hunters.

mikel wrote:

> Marshall wrote:
>
>> "nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>> Mine is...
>>>
>>> Warrior - Tank Tank and more Tank
>>> Rogue - DPS Baby
>>> Mage - For sheep and shackle
>>> Priest - Healing
>>> Shamman - Totems rock !!
>>

>> Did a quest yesterday with 4 rogues and a priest... I'm sure there are
>> instances where this would not work, but for your average quest situ-
>> ation, you'll roll thru everything like a steamroller. It was the most
>> unbelievably fast and viscious quest completion I've ever been a part
>> of, I almost felt sorry for the poor bastidges we were slaughtering like
>> helpless lambs.
>

> I'm interested in experiments with unconventional groups.
>
> I played for a while in a trio consisting of two rogues and a shaman.
> That was fun.
>
> I'm in a group that is experimenting with a fairly intense RP thing, and
> this particular group is a little unusual in its composition--three
> mages and two warlocks. We always play with the same group. We're having
> much less trouble with deaths than we expected. We have only wiped once
> so far (we've been playing at regular times for four weeks now), and we
> have had only a few scattered individual deaths. Mainly, the high DPS
> seems to save us most of the time, though some potions are also
> involved. Battles are totally crazy, and very fast. We expect to have
> more trouble as we move into higher-level instances, but that's part of
> the challenge that we intentionally set for ourselves.
>
> The 4 rogues and one priest party sounds great.
>
> I'd love to try 5 shamans.
>
> I also play regularly in a duo with a warlock and a hunter; that pair is
> surprisingly effective. We've found that adding a third person often
> actually makes u sless effective. I speculate that we get a lot of
> efficiency out of knowing each other's play styles extremely well.

I've played some fun groups. My two favourites are:
1 enhancement shaman
1 elemental shaman
2 hunters
1 holy priest (me)
and
1 enhancement shaman (me)
2 shadow priests

I've very recently tried to group with a warrior in an instance. It's
been so long that I had forgotten how some warriors definitely amazed me.

Instance: Zul Farak
Group:
def Warrior
arms Warrior
rogue
mage
priest (me)

We face two bosses in one fight.
Warrior 1 charges boss 1
Warrior 2 charges boss 1
Rogue charges boss 1
Mage fireballs boss 1
Priest shoots wand at boss 1
After a while, I say to myself, ok, now there's a heal definitely
needed, I just hope they attacked boss2 at least once with, I don't
know, a demoralizing shout, a thunder clap, or a cleave...

boss 2 crits you for 500
boss 2 crits you for 498
boss 2 hits you for 360...
....and of course a wipe. And the very exquisite advice from the arms
warrior: "why didn't you fear them?"

Trooper

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

mikel loved her ferret enough to say...

> I'd love to try 5 shamans.

We did 4 shamans and a hunter through RFK yesterday afternoon.
The tactic talks started off with a dedicated healer, buffer, etc...
but it soon became apparent that wasn't necessary.
The hunter didn't get much to do as the shamans just waded into
everything, when everybody can heal themselves and everybody else at
any time, and do a fair amount of damage in both melee and magic, mobs
fall very quickly and there is no downtime.
Run out of mana? Just walk in a hit something till it ticks back,
somebody will heal you if you get in too much trouble, and if not,
someone will res you or you can res yourself.

A few shamans with windfury active make quick work of everything...

--
Trooper
usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> I've very recently tried to group with a warrior in an instance.
> It's been so long that I had forgotten how some warriors definitely
> amazed me.
> Instance: Zul Farak
> Group:
> def Warrior
> arms Warrior
> rogue
> mage
> priest (me)
>
> We face two bosses in one fight.
> Warrior 1 charges boss 1
> Warrior 2 charges boss 1
> Rogue charges boss 1
> Mage fireballs boss 1
> Priest shoots wand at boss 1
> After a while, I say to myself, ok, now there's a heal definitely
> needed, I just hope they attacked boss2 at least once with, I don't
> know, a demoralizing shout, a thunder clap, or a cleave...
>
> boss 2 crits you for 500
> boss 2 crits you for 498
> boss 2 hits you for 360...
> ...and of course a wipe. And the very exquisite advice from the arms
> warrior: "why didn't you fear them?"

That's just bogus. The def Warrior should have charged #2 and held aggro
on him so that you could shoot your wand (no pun intended) at #1 and
heal as required. Obviously a miscommunication between the warriors, but
the Arms guy didn't make up for it with his dumb comment.

I can't talk though, I charged a sapped creep in SM the other day. The
rogue was backing off with the 2nd creep chasing him and I tried to get
in too early (accidently highlighted the sapped guy). After that I
waited until the rogue had pulled the unsapped guy further back. To his
credit, the rogue didn't say a word (was probably too angry:)

--
Doc