brutuzrawk

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I hate computers so much, I am a mechanic if I want to know what is in under the hood, I pop it and have a look. Why can't computer engineers follow suit?
I am attempting to setup an external monitor after my laptop monitor has broke. The method of transmission is VGA and so far I am not sending any signal. I have done a small amount of research to discover that graphics cards can be "single output" and "dual output" Does this mean then that there is a possibility I am totally screwed?
Of the info I could extrapolate 'under the hood' my computer is using "PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0" which of course makes no mention of the distinction of single or dual output..... great.
Furthermore, upon aquiring a dell users guide I could not follow the step by step instructions to activate a "dual independent display mode" this laptop is meant to use windows XP and is operating on windows 7. Thus all the labels in all the control panel tabs are different and the process is altered!(smooth move microsoft)

So as you can see I need alot of help, but that's only if I have a dual output graphics card...... why is this info so well hidden?

-B

brutuzrawk

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I hit all the 'fn + f1-12' ... no such luck, I must have a single source graph. The VGA is func, tested another lap. Isn't there a way to test a signal, cuz so far it appears that port is non func, i bet if I opened it up, i would find a "non-connection" cheeky 3rd world.

sk1939

Distinguished

Did you hit it a couple of times? It could be that the monitors wasn't what went bad, rather it might have been the video card.

brutuzrawk

Honorable
May 1, 2012
My fn key does not light up, both the key itself and there is no 'fn' panel decal that can light up... SO if i tap 'fn THEN tap Fanything' is this valid? cuz I've been holding the 'fn' button down and hitting the other keys, like crt + alt + delete styles....
If the video card went bad wouldn't I always have no image displayed? Again as a mechanic I can't see how a piece of hardware can produce results when it is broken. (Granted I've seen alot of nearly broken motors in my day, but leaking isn't something computers do, which would help alot!haha)

brutuzrawk

Honorable
May 1, 2012
so the comms between the system and the port is invalid why?.... how could any operating system neglect the communication between the system to its graph ports? i.e. video output

Dovetonsils

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
It could be that the monitors wasn't what went bad, rather it might have been the video card.
hjk

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
dell go bios a 12 who give a fix for intel and nvidia bios video also thermal control,there is a process to do it in windows,try the dell diagnostic tool to see if it could find something,
setting for tv are on page 58 and 59 check device under contol panel if there is a ? mark somewhere