Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Debating updating options

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2012 6:22:54 AM

Ok, so I am debating doing a moderate update to my home rig, but i'm unsure of what would be the best update to make..
For starters, I'm running a Phenom 2 x3 720x BE with the 4th core unlocked.
I have 12 gigs of DDR3 ram, although i'm unsure of what speed it is actually running at. In CPU-Z, it shows the DRAM frequency at 666.7 mghz, with 9.9.9.24.33 clocks. I have no idea if i said that right, as RAM has always been slightly confusing to me. It's all G. Skill ram, with slots 1 & 2 sporting 2 gig sticks of PC3- 10700, and 3&4 sporting 4 Gig sticks of PC3 -12800.
My Motherboard is an Asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X chipset -
and my GPU is a XFX Radeon HD 5750, 1 G ram
My HDD is a 7200 speed 1 terabyte partitioned into 2 drives (1 mostly for OS, other for storage and such - although i plan to undo this once i wipe my puter).
has 6MBytes of L3 cache, 512 KBytes of L2, 64 of L1, and 64 KB of L1.

What would be teh best upgrades i could make for $3-400?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 26, 2012 6:41:21 AM

welp, depends what aspect of it you want to improve; gaming? work? boot up speed?

getting a GPU alone in the HD68XX or HD78XX would be a nice improvement in game.

getting a CPU alone, preferably the Phenom II X4 955BE or 960T wouldn't improve your games by much, but depending on the programs you use, may feel faster.

you could get both of the above, which i'd recommend.

you definitely don't need RAM

an SSD as a boot drive would be nice, while you use your HDD for storage. but if you're content with your current start up time, i'd stick with the CPU and/or the GPU.
m
l
June 26, 2012 6:42:11 AM

partitioning will not give you any performance if anything it will slow down performance.

Get an ssd and make sure to check the read AND write speeds when comparing 128 gb should be enough. ocz vertex 4 is pretty fast and runs about $120

next, Update that graphics card, or you could get a am3+ board and an fx 8150 if the graphics are fine for you.

m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2012 2:38:38 PM

Hazle said:
welp, depends what aspect of it you want to improve; gaming? work? boot up speed?

getting a GPU alone in the HD68XX or HD78XX would be a nice improvement in game.

getting a CPU alone, preferably the Phenom II X4 955BE or 960T wouldn't improve your games by much, but depending on the programs you use, may feel faster.

you could get both of the above, which i'd recommend.

you definitely don't need RAM

an SSD as a boot drive would be nice, while you use your HDD for storage. but if you're content with your current start up time, i'd stick with the CPU and/or the GPU.

Mostly interested in my gaming performance, as i've never really noticed any problems with applications or anything like that.
I've considered upgrading the GPU the most, as it seems to be my bottleneck more than the CPU is. I've OC'd my cpu multiple times (using the unlocked multiplier) and never noticed much of any FPS differences, at least in games like Skyrim.

I've also been consdiering a SSD as a boot drive but also to holda few games on it that seem/tend to do use more streaming data. I'd like to just have a 'few' games on it to benefit fromt eh speed, but most of those games i would put on it are on Steam, and i dont' know if it's possible to install Steam games in mulitple locations, so instead of 'just a few' i would have QUITe a few games installed on it, and it would likely bring the total space on the SSD down into the data range where they tend to slow down from not having enough empty space to move things around...which would defeat the SSD purpose. So i'm conflicted in whether it is a good idea...

lourendo said:
partitioning will not give you any performance if anything it will slow down performance.

Get an ssd and make sure to check the read AND write speeds when comparing 128 gb should be enough. ocz vertex 4 is pretty fast and runs about $120

next, Update that graphics card, or you could get a am3+ board and an fx 8150 if the graphics are fine for you.

Yea, a short while after i did that partitioning, i realized it was a bad idea, but didn't want to wipe everything as i can't locate some of the CD keys necessary for a complete wipe and reinstall. IE - my Microsoft Office key. I got it legitimately, but the email address where i had my CD key emailed to me, i lost access to, and so i couldn't reinstall it...or if i can, i have no idea how. Hence why it has remained.
I am not sure what you are talking about when you say a am3+ board and fx 8150. fx 8150 sounds like a GPU, but not one that i'm aware of, so i don't think it is, adn i'm limited in research abilities here at work :p  I believe am3+ would be a mobo? what makes it better than teh one i already have?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
June 26, 2012 4:08:14 PM

i'll have to agree a GPU would be a preferable upgrade right now. for $300-400, you've got a god deal of choices as well. i'd recommend maybe an AMD Radeon HD 6870, 6950, or a 7850. as for Nvidia, you got the ever favourite GTX 560Ti, or the GTX 570. can't recall if the GTX 670 is within your budget, though if you can wait, there's the GTX660 coming out soon, which was rumored to be $300 or so.

if all ends well, you can get an SSD next. if you feel like you can squeeze out more out of your GPU, upgrade your CPU. right now, i'd recommend an intel mostly, so that would include a new motherboard. otherwise, as i mentioned before, a Phenom II X4 960T or a 955BE would be great, but they are growing old, so there's limited future proofing there.

the FX-8150 is an AMD Bulldozer CPU. they're fine for multi-threaded programs on a budget, but for gaming alone, they're pretty broken. only bulldozers i can recommend you are the FX-4100/4200. otherwise, there's it's successor, the 2nd Generation Bulldozers coming up supposedly soon, which should address some of the criticism the first gen had.
August 23, 2012 5:53:37 PM

Best answer selected by MageVortex.
m
l
!