Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions on build

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2012 6:27:32 AM

I think I've finally narrowed down all of my options into a build I can live with, but since I'm diving into Ivy Bridge (with hopes of slight future-proofing), I want a second opinion on my choices especially the PSU and Motherboard. I want to eventually overclock the CPU and possibly SLI the video card.

CPU: i5-3570k
Case:COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1 Black SECC
HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
PSU:CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
Motherboard:ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Video: GTX 670 (haven't decided what brand)

Thanks in advance.

More about : suggestions build

June 26, 2012 6:38:50 AM

That rig is a pretty good gaming machine.
Motherboard is fine, its in my rig and no complaints and heaps of praise so far.
That PSU is fine, 750W will let you dual SLI in the future. Pretty sure its modular and 80+ Bronze but make sure it is.

The RAM is at 2133Mhz. While you will get slightly better performance, its not worth the increase in price from standard 1600Mhz RAM.

If yur going to overclock you need an aftermarket CPU heatsink, as the stock doesn't perform that well when overclocking (or at all really). The Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is the standard one to get and will give you an easy 4.3Ghz on that 3570k.

as for which GTX670 to get, get the Gigabyte or Asus model, whichever's cheaper or in stock at the time.
m
l
June 26, 2012 6:52:32 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding the PSU, I've seen a lot of builds lately that opt for the Corsair HX750. Is there a real difference, or are there any other PSUs that would be a better idea keeping in mind a future 2x GTX 670 setup?
m
l
June 26, 2012 7:18:28 AM

Only difference between the brands is general quality and features.
Corsair and Seasonic are at the top of the chain in quality, so don't worry about the PSU failing or anything.

Features are essentially limited to modular interfaces and its efficiency rating. Modular supply's means you can remove cables you don't need from the unit, so you don't have to deal with them when working on the rig.

The power efficiency is exactly that, PSU's always lose some energy as heat and the 80+ standard means that it will always be at/more than 80% efficient. Above that its 80+ Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum, which indicate a better efficiency respectively. In short, a more efficient PSU means it loses less energy, so it doesn't use as much, which then equals a smaller power bill.

As for how much wattage you need, general rule is 500W on a HTPC, 600W on a single GPU gaming setup (allows for overclocking and a reasonable amount of drives), 750W for dual card rigs (again allows overclocking,etc) and 1000W for 3 or 4 GPU set ups.

So a Corsair 750W is fine for dual GTX670's. But it lacks a bit on features, since its non modular and only 80+ Bronze. I would suggest this one (does cost $20 more though), Silverstone Strider Plus 750W, 80+ Silver and fully modular. I have it in my build and no issues except for a short ATX power cable, but I'v got a massive full tower case, so this wont be an issue for you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!