Any Olympus Digital Camera Owners out there?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 3, 2005 1:00:58 AM

especially ones who have had problems with the "door" over the lens NOT
opening or closing at times?

I have a C-50 digital which I have just sent in for repair. The camera
isn't even 2 yrs. old yet. (and btw, I've taken very good care of it)

AnnE in MN
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:00:59 AM

I have an old D-340 L that lost it's little ball bearing that made the
cover click closed.

I replaced it, then about a year later the bracket for the ball broke out. I
used it for a year having to hold it open to prevent it turning off in the
middle ofa shot, then I got a new camera.

"AnnE" <NoSpam@example.invalid> wrote in message
> especially ones who have had problems with the "door" over the lens NOT
> opening or closing at times?
>
> I have a C-50 digital which I have just sent in for repair. The camera
> isn't even 2 yrs. old yet. (and btw, I've taken very good care of it)
>
> AnnE in MN

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:00:59 AM

I've been very hard on mine and it took about 5 years until I finally
crashed the door into the lens so hard that I knocked it off kilter and
the lens will no longer retract. My husband took it apart and couldn't
fix the mechanism. Meantime, until I buy a new camera, I've been using
his relic of an Olympus, a couple of years older than mine was, and I
leanred something: Tap the lens very gently with the door in order to
retract it; it opens and closes every time without a glitch.
August 3, 2005 4:30:25 AM

AnnE wrote:

> especially ones who have had problems with the "door" over the lens NOT
> opening or closing at times?
>
> I have a C-50 digital which I have just sent in for repair. The camera
> isn't even 2 yrs. old yet. (and btw, I've taken very good care of it)
>
> AnnE in MN

My c-220 is just starting to make crunchy noises on opening
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

In article <42F00FF4.9A77DE47@blueyonder.co.uk>, Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>AnnE wrote:
>>
>> especially ones who have had problems with the "door" over the lens NOT
>> opening or closing at times?
>>
>> I have a C-50 digital which I have just sent in for repair. The camera
>> isn't even 2 yrs. old yet. (and btw, I've taken very good care of it)
>>
>> AnnE in MN
>
>My c-220 is just starting to make crunchy noises on opening
My damn C2000 (or is it 2000C?) just died. The motor that extends the lens in
and out jammed and stripped something. there went my $800 wonder (Ok it was 5
years old, time to get a new camera anyways.)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:56:06 PM

GMAN wrote:

> In article <42F00FF4.9A77DE47@blueyonder.co.uk>, Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >AnnE wrote:
> >>
> >> especially ones who have had problems with the "door" over the lens NOT
> >> opening or closing at times?
> >>
> >> I have a C-50 digital which I have just sent in for repair. The camera
> >> isn't even 2 yrs. old yet. (and btw, I've taken very good care of it)
> >>
> >> AnnE in MN
> >
> >My c-220 is just starting to make crunchy noises on opening
> My damn C2000 (or is it 2000C?) just died. The motor that extends the lens in
> and out jammed and stripped something. there went my $800 wonder (Ok it was 5
> years old, time to get a new camera anyways.)

Probably, but don't you love having the old one around while you're
running in the new one?
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:40:35 PM

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:00:58 GMT, "AnnE" <NoSpam@example.invalid>
wrote:

>especially ones who have had problems with the "door" over the lens NOT
>opening or closing at times?
>
>I have a C-50 digital which I have just sent in for repair. The camera
>isn't even 2 yrs. old yet. (and btw, I've taken very good care of it)
>
> AnnE in MN

AnnE in MN,
From DHB in MA, I don't have a sliding lens cover type
Olympus camera but I did recently purchase the A-7070WZ & have been
thus far very pleased with it. Considering that most of my other
cameras are Canon's & it's interface is a bit different, I'm adjusting
to it & liking the zoom range which was a major consideration in
selecting it, 27-110mm.

Thus far it seems to be a very well built P&S camera with a
ton of user selectable/customizable features. It's interesting that
so many people seem to be attracted to the 10x long zooms & here I am
going in the other direction. My DSLR can handle the telephoto end
better but when I want to travel a bit lighter & without a lot of
additional accessories the C-7070WZ meets most of my needs. The
picture quality is good for a 7.1MP P&S but honestly I would have been
happier if it was a 6 or even a 5MP with a fast f1.8 lens. The f2.8 @
27mm is OK but I would gladly trade the resolution for a faster lens.
Were it not for all of the other features, I would have considered an
older Olympus P&S cameras such as the C-5050 that has a f1.8 lens, but
even @ f2.8, it's meeting my needs OK after I adjusted to it.

If I recall correctly, Canon had some problems with certain
Sxx models that also have a sliding door lens cover but corrected it
on the next model. For a pocketable camera, the sliding door lens
cover seems like a good idea for added lens protection if the camera
is going to be carried without any case in 1's pocket in order to be
more quickly @ the ready.

1 would think that for this reason the manufactures would make
the protective sliding lens cover as strong as reasonably possible.
If Olympus has a weakness in this area, I hope they will correct it in
future models. Even if it's out-of-warrantee, I would call them & let
them know because of 2 optimistic possibilities:

1> They may offer you a discount on an upgrade or refurbished camera.
2> They may @ least log your complaint/problem & hopefully use that
info. from you & other's to improve future models.

Best wishes.

Respectfully, DHB

..
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:14:19 AM

"DHB" <yoda2k@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:00:58 GMT, "AnnE" <NoSpam@example.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>especially ones who have had problems with the "door" over the lens
>>NOT
>>opening or closing at times?
>>
>>I have a C-50 digital which I have just sent in for repair. The
>>camera
>>isn't even 2 yrs. old yet. (and btw, I've taken very good care of it)
>>
>> AnnE in MN
>>

> AnnE in MN,
> From DHB in MA, I don't have a sliding lens cover type
> Olympus camera but I did recently purchase the A-7070WZ & have been
> thus far very pleased with it. Considering that most of my other
> cameras are Canon's & it's interface is a bit different, I'm adjusting
> to it & liking the zoom range which was a major consideration in
> selecting it, 27-110mm.
>
> Thus far it seems to be a very well built P&S camera with a
> ton of user selectable/customizable features. It's interesting that
> so many people seem to be attracted to the 10x long zooms & here I am
> going in the other direction. My DSLR can handle the telephoto end
> better but when I want to travel a bit lighter & without a lot of
> additional accessories the C-7070WZ meets most of my needs. The
> picture quality is good for a 7.1MP P&S but honestly I would have been
> happier if it was a 6 or even a 5MP with a fast f1.8 lens. The f2.8 @
> 27mm is OK but I would gladly trade the resolution for a faster lens.
> Were it not for all of the other features, I would have considered an
> older Olympus P&S cameras such as the C-5050 that has a f1.8 lens, but
> even @ f2.8, it's meeting my needs OK after I adjusted to it.
>
> If I recall correctly, Canon had some problems with certain
> Sxx models that also have a sliding door lens cover but corrected it
> on the next model. For a pocketable camera, the sliding door lens
> cover seems like a good idea for added lens protection if the camera
> is going to be carried without any case in 1's pocket in order to be
> more quickly @ the ready.
>
> 1 would think that for this reason the manufactures would make
> the protective sliding lens cover as strong as reasonably possible.
> If Olympus has a weakness in this area, I hope they will correct it in
> future models. Even if it's out-of-warrantee, I would call them & let
> them know because of 2 optimistic possibilities:
>
> 1> They may offer you a discount on an upgrade or refurbished camera.
> 2> They may @ least log your complaint/problem & hopefully use that
> info. from you & other's to improve future models.
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Respectfully, DHB

Thanks for all who responded. Just yesterday I sent my dear little
Olympus to be repaired. We'll see what they do for me. I sent a big
check for this repair and it cost me $11.00 to just send the dern thing.

I did call originally and got a service order number but NOT any kind of
discount. <g>

I too hope they fix this problem in future models. Not gonna hold my
breath tho.

AnnE in MN
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:14:20 AM

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:14:19 GMT in rec.photo.digital, "AnnE"
<NoSpam@example.invalid> wrote:

> Thanks for all who responded. Just yesterday I sent my dear little
> Olympus to be repaired. We'll see what they do for me. I sent a big
> check for this repair and it cost me $11.00 to just send the dern thing.

many of them are not designed to be repairable, so most times
it's not worth trying when newer cameras are so much better.

i just figure that simple point and shoots, even with zoom, have
about a 3 year life and evaluate them based on the cost over
their expected lifetime.

i hauled my d340 around everywhere for 3 years, and the switches
activate by opening the lens cover got flakier and flakier the
last month until something finally fried the poor thing's CPU.

so i upgraded to an e-volt. it really is too bulky and fussy for
hauling around to my property inspections, so i'll probably get a
compact 6+ mp zoom point n shoot cam for work. love the evolt
for *real* photography, though.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:45:39 PM

"Dennis P. Harris" <dpharris@gci.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:14:19 GMT in rec.photo.digital, "AnnE"
> <NoSpam@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all who responded. Just yesterday I sent my dear little
>> Olympus to be repaired. We'll see what they do for me. I sent a big
>> check for this repair and it cost me $11.00 to just send the dern
>> thing.
>
> many of them are not designed to be repairable, so most times
> it's not worth trying when newer cameras are so much better.

Yiiiippppes, sure hope I get my own back again. I don't want to work
out the crinks of a different camera. They didn't say anything about
replacing my camera. ummmmmmmm

> i just figure that simple point and shoots, even with zoom, have
> about a 3 year life and evaluate them based on the cost over
> their expected lifetime.

3 years? Sheesh, that's awful. I took very good care of that little
camera and I certainly expect it to behave better than that.

> i hauled my d340 around everywhere for 3 years, and the switches
> activate by opening the lens cover got flakier and flakier the
> last month until something finally fried the poor thing's CPU.
>
> so i upgraded to an e-volt. it really is too bulky and fussy for
> hauling around to my property inspections, so i'll probably get a
> compact 6+ mp zoom point n shoot cam for work. love the evolt
> for *real* photography, though.

We'll see what Olympus does for me. Ooops, I just remembered that I
have a sticky sticker on there that used to contain my name and address
(had this on account of dear daughter having the same camera and I
didn't want them to get mixed up when we were together). If Olympus
does indeed give me a new camera, I don't s'pose it will have that
sticker on it. lol

AnnE in MN
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:48:11 PM

AnnE wrote:
> >> Olympus to be repaired. We'll see what they do for me. I sent a big
> >> check for this repair and it cost me $11.00 to just send the dern
> >> thing.

Do you mean they quoted you a repair price and you paid it ahead of
time?

Is your lens not retracting or just the door broken?

Will you post again with an update? I'm curious how Olympus handles
this. Was it under waranty?
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:52:52 AM

"Peconic" <foundpoem@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Do you mean they quoted you a repair price and you paid it ahead of
> time?

Yep, said $150.00 to repair (and they'll pay to have it shipped back!
<G>) They said they'd clean it too. I'm probably crazy to get the
thing fixed but I love that little camera.

> Is your lens not retracting or just the door broken?

I turn on the thing and most often the door wouldn't even open so that
the lens comes out. Then several times I was in the middle of a shoot
and the lens would retract. I could, of course, at that time close the
door just fine. lol

> Will you post again with an update? I'm curious how Olympus handles
> this. Was it under waranty?

I will post again and NO, it never IS under warranty (not with me as it
always seems that whenever there is a warranty, the thing goes bad the
next day). I bought the Nikon and decided to get the 4 yr. warranty for
$69.00. Watch. This one will NEVER go bad. <g>

AnnE in MN where it finally cooled down! yipppeee
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:26:08 PM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:52:52 GMT, "AnnE" <NoSpam@example.invalid>
wrote:

>"Peconic" <foundpoem@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Do you mean they quoted you a repair price and you paid it ahead of
>> time?
>
>Yep, said $150.00 to repair (and they'll pay to have it shipped back!
><G>) They said they'd clean it too. I'm probably crazy to get the
>thing fixed but I love that little camera.

Was that $150 a one-size-fixes-all charge?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

"Bill Funk" <BigBill@there.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:52:52 GMT, "AnnE" <NoSpam@example.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>"Peconic" <foundpoem@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Do you mean they quoted you a repair price and you paid it ahead of
>>> time?
>>
>>Yep, said $150.00 to repair (and they'll pay to have it shipped back!
>><G>) They said they'd clean it too. I'm probably crazy to get the
>>thing fixed but I love that little camera.
>
> Was that $150 a one-size-fixes-all charge?
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"
> funktionality.blogspot.com

Gosh, you're testing my memory. <g> I called and they gave me that
price over the phone. They sent me an email on instructions to send it
in. I had to go online now and check out their site so that it
triggered my memory. I will track my repair in a couple of days and
then report back here. I'm anxious to see how they handle this.

AnnE in MN who is not sure how Olympus figures out their
rates for repair
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:55:05 PM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 18:55:04 GMT, "AnnE" <NoSpam@example.invalid>
wrote:

>"Bill Funk" <BigBill@there.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:52:52 GMT, "AnnE" <NoSpam@example.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Peconic" <foundpoem@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Yep, said $150.00 to repair (and they'll pay to have it shipped back!
>>><G>) They said they'd clean it too. I'm probably crazy to get the
>>>thing fixed but I love that little camera.
>>
>> Was that $150 a one-size-fixes-all charge?
>>
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> replace "g" with "a"
>> funktionality.blogspot.com
>
>Gosh, you're testing my memory. <g> I called and they gave me that
>price over the phone. They sent me an email on instructions to send it
>in. I had to go online now and check out their site so that it
>triggered my memory. I will track my repair in a couple of days and
>then report back here. I'm anxious to see how they handle this.
>
> AnnE in MN who is not sure how Olympus figures out their
>rates for repair

I ask because I've seen such charges for some older cameras: "You send
us X dollars, we'll fix or replace your camera."
What's wrong doesn't matter, they don't care. It's out of warranty, so
tyhere's not a great incentive for them to worry too much about it,
they just want the business; obiously they've figured the amount to
cover their costs.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:02:39 AM

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 18:55:04 GMT, "AnnE" <NoSpam@example.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>"Bill Funk" <BigBill@there.com> wrote in message

>>> Was that $150 a one-size-fixes-all charge?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill Funk
>>> replace "g" with "a"
>>> funktionality.blogspot.com
>>
>>Gosh, you're testing my memory. <g> I called and they gave me that
>>price over the phone. They sent me an email on instructions to send
>>it
>>in. I had to go online now and check out their site so that it
>>triggered my memory. I will track my repair in a couple of days and
>>then report back here. I'm anxious to see how they handle this.
>>
>> AnnE in MN who is not sure how Olympus figures out their
>>rates for repair
>>
> I ask because I've seen such charges for some older cameras: "You send
> us X dollars, we'll fix or replace your camera."
> What's wrong doesn't matter, they don't care. It's out of warranty, so
> tyhere's not a great incentive for them to worry too much about it,
> they just want the business; obiously they've figured the amount to
> cover their costs.
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"
> funktionality.blogspot.com

Good grief, Bill, I don't think a camera which I've had for less than 2
years should be considered "older camera". I don't take THAT many
photos either. lol I think maybe that they will exchange it.
Probably costs more to repair one these days.

We'll see. I'll let the NG know what happens.

AnnE in MN
!