Will my PSU be Compatible and sufficient enough for my new GFX

Tags:
  • Cooler Master
  • Compatibility
  • Thunder
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 1, 2012 10:34:53 AM

I have cooler master 600 watt thunder PSU.. I am going to get a Asus Gtx 560 ti ..Will my PSU be compatible and sufficient for it...
My PC spec. are

Intel i7 3770
2 hdd of 2.5tb
4 gb ram
Cooler Master 600 watt thunder PSU

More about : psu compatible sufficient gfx

November 1, 2012 1:47:31 PM

Cooler master PSU's do poorly in tests, but it should handle a single 560 ti.
m
l
November 1, 2012 2:21:14 PM

Z1NONLY said:
Cooler master PSU's do poorly in tests, but it should handle a single 560 ti.

Yep, not the most reliable manufacturer (though certainly not the worst) but more than ample wattage. Just be sure there's a couple of 6-pin PCI-E connectors there.
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2012 2:24:10 PM

Also keep in mind that for the same money and power consumption you could pick up a GTX660 - approx 25-30% better framerates.
m
l
November 1, 2012 2:39:51 PM

but GTX 660 has 192 bit architecture and it will lag in memory intensive games...but 560 ti has got 256 bit architecture and will run all types of games :)  ...
m
l
November 1, 2012 2:42:41 PM

mitu1234 said:
but GTX 660 has 192 bit architecture and it will lag in memory intensive games...but 560 ti has got 256 bit architecture and will run all types of games :)  ...

It's true that's there's a bit of a GPU-capability/memory bandwidth mismatch there, but way too big a deal has been made of it. At the end of the day, all the CUDA cores, ROPs and GFLOPS in the world don't count for a thing next to frames per second. That's what matters - results. The other numbers are just an ends to a means. Just take a look at the benchmarks to see how much better it is.
m
l
November 2, 2012 6:42:08 AM

sam_p_lay said:
It's true that's there's a bit of a GPU-capability/memory bandwidth mismatch there, but way too big a deal has been made of it. At the end of the day, all the CUDA cores, ROPs and GFLOPS in the world don't count for a thing next to frames per second. That's what matters - results. The other numbers are just an ends to a means. Just take a look at the benchmarks to see how much better it is.

So u say that the gtx 660 will be future friendly..
m
l
November 2, 2012 8:47:46 AM

mitu1234 said:
So u say that the gtx 660 will be future friendly..

If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Yes, future games will require more memory bandwidth but guess what - future games will also require more GPU performance! There's no reason to believe memory bandwidth demands will increase and GPU demands stay the same.

Bear in mind also that if you're looking at a 1GB model (I'm assuming you are since a 2GB 560 Ti will actually cost considerably more than a 2GB 660!), memory quantity is going to bottleneck you before memory bandwidth does. There are already games that at high settings will struggle with 1GB memory. If existing games can already benefit from over 1GB, what does that say about future games?

It's unfortunate that the 2GB 560 Ti prices haven't dropped nicely (my brother bought one a year ago for the same money they're costing now) but even if the price was equal, the GTX660 is simply a much more capable card. I'll be surprised if you can find a benchmark of a 560 Ti outperforming it, and even if you could it would be the exception to the rule.

Plus! On top of all of that, 560 Ti models are being phased out. That means if you had any plans of buying a second one cheaper in a year or so for SLI, you may have trouble. So yeah, GTX660 :-)
m
l
!