Strange Win2K installation problem

bibo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Soyo SY-6KD motherboard. It's a double proc with 266MHz, 440LX chipset. Everything is fine with WinNT 4 sp5.
I tried to install Win2000 and the installation cannot complete. It gives me a blue screen error message on restarting the computer saying "multiprocessor configuration not supported" as if Win2k did not detect the 2 CPUs. I tried to strip my system down to the VGA card, disabled caching and shadow memory in Bios (as suggested by the error message itself). I also tried an upgrade of WinNt and a clean install with a complete format but - alas - no improvement.
Perhaps I should try a Win2000 install with 1 CPU only to see if it can hook up to my motherboard...
Is there any suggestion in order to force a multiprocessor installation of Win2K (I know it should be automatic but, contrary to WinNT, I have no way to check it beforehand)?
Has ne1 got Win2000 installed on the same Soyo SY-6KD motherboard?
After about a dozen installs now I'm back to WinNT, but if someone can show me the light, I will be happy to try again.
Thanks.

Bibo

G

Something to try. When you see the message "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver" press F5 instead. Select "MPS Multiprocessor PC" and continue.

bibo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That could be a good idea, to I force the dual processor HAL. However, hitting F5 it gives me only 4 choices:
1) Standard PC
2) Standard PC with C-Stop i486
3) SGI mp
4) Other

1) seems to proceede with normal installation, 2) and 3) do not seem to be pertinent and 4) asks to install a disk driver. Where is the double proc choice? Does it come later?

Bibo

G

Hi Folks,

You've got quite an old board, i.e. LX chipset. It sounds like the BIOS32 routines in your current BIOS are incompatible with Win2K.

I had a similar problem with an FIC board hanging during the install (Again solid NT4 server). A quick visit to the manufacturer and a BIOS update later and Win2K now works!.

Try obtaining the latest BIOS for your motherboard. You never know it could be that simple!.

Regards

Simon

G

Well, it doesn't look good. If a bios update doesn't fix the problem then you'll have to stick with NT4 or upgrade the hardware and use W2K.