Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Will gigabyte motherboards support windows 8?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
a b V Motherboard
a b * Windows 8
March 24, 2012 4:55:31 AM

No reason why you wouldn't be able to install it. If there are any missing drivers, try using the one's designed for Windows 7. Most should work just fine.
Score
0
April 20, 2012 5:13:03 PM

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but man, that has to come close.
Score
0
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b * Windows 8
April 20, 2012 5:34:01 PM

Hi :) 

You could always ask...hmmm let me think for a nonosecond.....ah got it.... Gigabyte.... :) 

All the best Brett :) 
Score
0
April 20, 2012 6:11:06 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

You could always ask...hmmm let me think for a nonosecond.....ah got it.... Gigabyte.... :) 

All the best Brett :) 


+1! :) 

You know, I am worried that my HAF 922 will not run Windows 8...I wonder if I am going to have to change my case or stick with DOS! :) 

Score
0
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2012 6:18:55 PM

lol
Score
0
April 20, 2012 6:43:02 PM

my 6 year old PC from Currys runs windows 8!! The motherboard has nothing to do with that, I know manufacturers put it in the description but that's like having a cardboard box saying "can be used as a toy spaceship by kids" yes it does it but it doesn't matter whether it says it or not, it will still work.
Score
0
April 20, 2012 7:07:36 PM

my 2007 slimline runs 8. Should be fine.
Score
0
November 1, 2012 12:29:43 PM

I would be a little careful with your motherboard, and make sure to update to the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

I've installed Windows 8 on a slightly dated Gigabyte motherboard, and Windows 8 does not lke running RAM sticks in dual channel. I'm still to update the drivers to check that solves the issue, but it's best to check before commiting to a new system, just so to avoid the headache it will give you, otherwise you may be swimming neck-deep in BSODs in no time.

With that said, it's best to keep in mind that drivers will get better, as Windows 8 is still pretty fresh on the market. My advice is to keep your hardware as fresh as the last 12-18 months, which will guarantee you that the manufacturer will update drivers for Windows 8, if they are required to do so. Otherwise, some manufacturers will not provide support for Windows 8 if your hardware is too old.

Reference: 2 days of pure hell... :) 
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
a b * Windows 8
November 1, 2012 12:40:09 PM

Scarraban said:
I've installed Windows 8 on a slightly dated Gigabyte motherboard, and Windows 8 does not lke running RAM sticks in dual channel. I'm still to update the drivers to check that solves the issue, but it's best to check before commiting to a new system, just so to avoid the headache it will give you, otherwise you may be swimming neck-deep in BSODs in no time.


I fail to see how that would help, as no drivers per se are actually required for your RAM to operate within a given OS. Also, my Asus P9X79 Pro runs Windows 8 on ram running in a Quad-channel configuration just fine. The OS is not that picky about how many ram channels are present in a given system. Any issues you are having lie elsewhere in your system. For instance, you may need a BIOS update.
Score
0
November 1, 2012 1:19:22 PM

The_Prophecy said:
I fail to see how that would help, as no drivers per se are actually required for your RAM to operate within a given OS. Also, my Asus P9X79 Pro runs Windows 8 on ram running in a Quad-channel configuration just fine. The OS is not that picky about how many ram channels are present in a given system. Any issues you are having lie elsewhere in your system. For instance, you may need a BIOS update.


As I said before, I'm still to try any updates to such things as the BIOS etc, so I'm sure it's something to do with that. It's certainly no other hardware, as everything else has been swapped out for hardware that's confirmed to be working, including RAM, GPU, CPU etc. What I can say is the same specs did work on Windows 7, so the new OS must treat the motherboard differently in one way or another.

All that aside, and keeping the OP in mind, I suppose the bottom line is keep all software updated (drivers and BIOS included) to remove any possibility of it being an issue.
Score
0
November 1, 2012 3:14:35 PM

The_Prophecy said:
For instance, you may need a BIOS update.


Just in case it helps anyone in the future, a BIOS update did the trick.
Score
0
November 1, 2012 4:34:44 PM

NewbieTechGodII said:
They say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but man, that has to come close.


Lol I know, this is really bad
Score
0
May 6, 2013 1:20:00 AM

Here's another stupid question:

The description manual of the new
GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI MB
says next to Operating System : Support for Windows 7/Vista <-- but not for windows 8

I mean , if it is irrelevant as some of you are saying, then why do they put it in the first place ? And why do the Asus Mb like the P9X79 PRO/LE/Deluxe state on the "Box Cover" that their MB supports Windows 8?

Why go through all that if any MB would be compatible with the new OS? Is it simple advertisement?!

Because I was this close to buying the Gigabyte MB in favor of the Asus MB , until I read on the Manual that the Gigabyte Mb does not support windows 8 unlike the Asus, so I got concerned! Should I ? or will a future BIOS / Driver update solve the issue ?
Score
0
May 6, 2013 4:13:44 AM

kicoverz said:
Here's another stupid question:

The description manual of the new
GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI MB
says next to Operating System : Support for Windows 7/Vista <-- but not for windows 8

I mean , if it is irrelevant as some of you are saying, then why do they put it in the first place ? And why do the Asus Mb like the P9X79 PRO/LE/Deluxe state on the "Box Cover" that their MB supports Windows 8?

Why go through all that if any MB would be compatible with the new OS? Is it simple advertisement?!

Because I was this close to buying the Gigabyte MB in favor of the Asus MB , until I read on the Manual that the Gigabyte Mb does not support windows 8 unlike the Asus, so I got concerned! Should I ? or will a future BIOS / Driver update solve the issue ?


YES! You should be VERY CONCERNED!

I work at Gigabyte and the head honcho's at corporate have decided to leave the motherboards for Windows market. Within the next several months, the supply of Windows-based motherboards will be exhausted and that will be the end of the line as no new ones will be created.

Instead, Gigabyte is going to SOLEY make Linux-orientated motherboards for the next few years, or until Windows 8 is retired.

So, there will be no support or updates from Gigabyte if you own a Windows-based machine. It is advised you learn how to code at the machine-level and/or receive an advanced degree if you need help troubleshooting why your integrated audio has crapped out.
Score
0
May 6, 2013 5:54:52 AM

NewbieTechGodII said:
kicoverz said:
Here's another stupid question:

The description manual of the new
GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI MB
says next to Operating System : Support for Windows 7/Vista <-- but not for windows 8

I mean , if it is irrelevant as some of you are saying, then why do they put it in the first place ? And why do the Asus Mb like the P9X79 PRO/LE/Deluxe state on the "Box Cover" that their MB supports Windows 8?

Why go through all that if any MB would be compatible with the new OS? Is it simple advertisement?!

Because I was this close to buying the Gigabyte MB in favor of the Asus MB , until I read on the Manual that the Gigabyte Mb does not support windows 8 unlike the Asus, so I got concerned! Should I ? or will a future BIOS / Driver update solve the issue ?


YES! You should be VERY CONCERNED!

I work at Gigabyte and the head honcho's at corporate have decided to leave the motherboards for Windows market. Within the next several months, the supply of Windows-based motherboards will be exhausted and that will be the end of the line as no new ones will be created.

Instead, Gigabyte is going to SOLEY make Linux-orientated motherboards for the next few years, or until Windows 8 is retired.

So, there will be no support or updates from Gigabyte if you own a Windows-based machine. It is advised you learn how to code at the machine-level and/or receive an advanced degree if you need help troubleshooting why your integrated audio has crapped out.

Ok, WAW!!
Thank you very much for your input. I very much appreciate it. You have just saved me $300+ .You've been a great help my friend.
btw, awesome signature ;) 
Score
0
May 6, 2013 7:02:15 AM

kicoverz said:
NewbieTechGodII said:
kicoverz said:
Here's another stupid question:

The description manual of the new
GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI MB
says next to Operating System : Support for Windows 7/Vista <-- but not for windows 8

I mean , if it is irrelevant as some of you are saying, then why do they put it in the first place ? And why do the Asus Mb like the P9X79 PRO/LE/Deluxe state on the "Box Cover" that their MB supports Windows 8?

Why go through all that if any MB would be compatible with the new OS? Is it simple advertisement?!

Because I was this close to buying the Gigabyte MB in favor of the Asus MB , until I read on the Manual that the Gigabyte Mb does not support windows 8 unlike the Asus, so I got concerned! Should I ? or will a future BIOS / Driver update solve the issue ?


YES! You should be VERY CONCERNED!

I work at Gigabyte and the head honcho's at corporate have decided to leave the motherboards for Windows market. Within the next several months, the supply of Windows-based motherboards will be exhausted and that will be the end of the line as no new ones will be created.

Instead, Gigabyte is going to SOLEY make Linux-orientated motherboards for the next few years, or until Windows 8 is retired.

So, there will be no support or updates from Gigabyte if you own a Windows-based machine. It is advised you learn how to code at the machine-level and/or receive an advanced degree if you need help troubleshooting why your integrated audio has crapped out.

Ok, WAW!!
Thank you very much for your input. I very much appreciate it. You have just saved me $300+ .You've been a great help my friend.
btw, awesome signature ;) 


It's not a signature...it's a way of life. :) 

glad to have helped! :) 
Score
0
!