Program Directory

I upgraded from Win98 to WInXP Home SP 2. My question is: I used to be able
to change the program directory in Win98 using:

Start/Settings/Taskbar & Start Menu/Start Menu Programs/Advanced

and I was able to get the program directory in Windows under control. I
have noticed that in WinXP Home I that you can't do that, or if you can it is
well hidden. Does any of you have suggestions as to how I can do this?
Thanks....
2 answers Last reply
More about program directory

    Right click the start button.

    On the pop up, there are two places you'll need to address. If you hit
    explore (towards the top) you'll be taken to your user specific part of the
    start menu.
    If you hit "explorer all users" you'll be taken to the common part of the
    start menu.

    And yes, XP takes both places and merges them. What's in "all uses" is
    displayed for any one on the machine. What's in your personal start menu is
    for you eyes only.

    --
    Walter Clayton

    "CommanderL" <CommanderL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I upgraded from Win98 to WInXP Home SP 2. My question is: I used to be
    >able
    > to change the program directory in Win98 using:
    >
    > Start/Settings/Taskbar & Start Menu/Start Menu Programs/Advanced
    >
    > and I was able to get the program directory in Windows under control. I
    > have noticed that in WinXP Home I that you can't do that, or if you can it
    > is
    > well hidden. Does any of you have suggestions as to how I can do this?
    > Thanks....

    Thank you Walter, that was exactly what I needed.

    Susan

    "Walter Clayton" wrote:

    > Right click the start button.
    >
    > On the pop up, there are two places you'll need to address. If you hit
    > explore (towards the top) you'll be taken to your user specific part of the
    > start menu.
    > If you hit "explorer all users" you'll be taken to the common part of the
    > start menu.
    >
    > And yes, XP takes both places and merges them. What's in "all uses" is
    > displayed for any one on the machine. What's in your personal start menu is
    > for you eyes only.
    >
    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >

    > "CommanderL" <CommanderL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I upgraded from Win98 to WInXP Home SP 2. My question is: I used to be
    > >able
    > > to change the program directory in Win98 using:
    > >
    > > Start/Settings/Taskbar & Start Menu/Start Menu Programs/Advanced
    > >
    > > and I was able to get the program directory in Windows under control. I
    > > have noticed that in WinXP Home I that you can't do that, or if you can it
    > > is
    > > well hidden. Does any of you have suggestions as to how I can do this?
    > > Thanks....

Configuration Start Menu Customization Windows XP