Pc freezes mobo or cpu fault

KrisWolf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello,
Long turned short.
From a long time my pc started to freeze at some different stages. It could be 5min on pc or even 10sec.
The problem got worse with time as the freezes happen a more often.
It could freeze even while loading the windows and after I pressed the restart button I would get no beep sound and no signal from monitor.
It turn very rarely like yesterday after I putted some thermal paste. It turned for a whole day but today freezer again.

I have replaced the parts with my brother pc:
-psu
-graphic card
-hdd

And the problem still happened.
Tried run pc with just one memory still freezes,
No signal, no beep sound.
I've replaced bios battery.
I even gave pc to the pc shop and they runned stress test
And said pc looks fine, I took it home try run it and got no beep no signal again so wtf?

The pc is:
- x4 phenon black edition of 9.. Something can remember
- Asus mobo
- 8gb ddr3 ram
- gtx 460
- 750w psu

I have checked almost everything.
The only things left which could problem are cpu and mobo.
What are your opinions?
Sorry for poor pc specs but I'm not at home.

The only think I can add is that the cpu is missing one pic on the corner but it was working without pin before so why now?

Thank you for any help.

KrisWolf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello,
Today when I tried to start my PC it turned on to the point where I could open browser but as soon as I did that it freeze. I tried to restarted it but it didn't work so I turned it off by holding the power button on PC and after few seconds I tried again but it froze on Windows logo so I restarted it again, there was no beep sound for around 30 sec and then magically I heard the beep sound and it loaded perfectly and I am still using it now.

I noticed it boots more often after I used thermal paste on the CPU. Could that be the case?

Now I am uploading the image of that program:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/tempal.jpg/

Thank you for your help.

KrisWolf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello,
I am trying to exclude power supply as I used my brothers power supply 850W yesterday to check will the same problem appear again and it did no signal sometime no beep sometime and if started then freezed after a bit or straight away.

And I have applied thermal paste as I noticed there was not very much paste on the processor.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

lol, there's not supposed to be a lot of thermal paste on the processor. There is suppose to be just enough to fill in the voids left by manufacturing the die and the heatsink. Too much acts like an insulator. Both intel and AMD state anywhere from the size of a small pea to a grain of rice is more than enough to fill the microscopic voids where the heatsink doesn't come into contact with the processor's packaging. That's it. A very tiny amount is required.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Just a thought, but maybe it's the power feeding the power supply from the wall socket? If it works at the shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, it's probably the power grid.

For me freezing was usually a heat problem or bad RAM, a bad power supply would just shut down the system. Generally VGA cards fans are set to run at very low speeds like 40% you can use a program like EVGA's Precision to increase the speed to 80%. Check all the fan grills and case openings to be sure they are clear of dust build up and obstructions. Try some different RAM and try it in different slots it could be a bad RAM or bad RAM slot too.

The thermal paste on your CPU should be light enough so you can see though it more isn't better. To much and reduce the heat transfer and cause the CPU to run hot and damage it if it doesn't shut down.

Where I live, we have horrible power and I have multiple customers who have PCs shutting down and I can never get it to do it at my shop. I wouldn't be surprised but normally it would cause power issue, not freezing per say.

KrisWolf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Ok so heres the update.
I runed memtest and it was fine.
I followed your advice and checked how much of the paste I did put on and it wasnt much but I took some off.
But today after I tried to run the pc it turned on, I clicked on browser and black screen appeard and it said no signal ?????

The HDD should be fine as I used my brothers HDD and the problem is the same.
Tried use pc in different room with my and brothers psu and still same problem.
Used his graphic card and the problem was again the same.

So atm eaither The mobo or the CPU or as it says no signal or maybe graphic card ?

The mobo is ASUS M4A78LT-M
so it has graphic card on board so i will check that later but atm pc is working and to be fair I don't know should I be happy about it or not as I still dont know what is wrong with it lol

Thanks for the help.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
if your onboard video give signal to the monitor then test your graphic card in another system then use another card in your pci-e slot you will find if it is the board or the graphic card

KrisWolf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello,
So the problem with random freezing still happens.
Tuday morning I tried to turn pc I got to browser used internet for a bit and again the screen went black and it said no signal.

Later on tried to turn pc on again and it freezed while all the programs were starting up happend 2 time in a row today.

I also tried to use the on board Grafic card but it looks like it doesnt see it and the monitor is going in to the save energy mode.

So far I don't know what to do....

In my opinion the:
- HDD is ok
- RAM is ok
- PSU is ok

The problem is either with
- CPU ?
- MOBO ?
- Graphic Card ?

I would towards the Mobo as sometime when I tried to power on my pc I didin't hear the bios beep.

Is it possible that Motherboard is cousing pc to freeze and have lack of signal ?

Thank you for your help and still interest in my topic.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
if you could start the system go directly to the bios and look at the setting for your graphic to see if the onboard video is active ,if the answer is yes ,if you could try your cpu and graphic card on another system so if there work ok then time for board rma

KrisWolf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello,
I looked at the bios and looked for the internal graphic card options and which of them should I pick ?
Talking about the options on the top right.
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/249/imag0217xm.jpg

And also the random freezing happens again often and
today I got even something workse.

I tuned pc on, windows loaded and went on browser, fb and computer freezed so I restarted it and I didint got any video signal nothing just continous beep from bios.
Tried restard and happened again.
Tried 3rd time pc works fine.

So I have no idea waht could be the problem.

KrisWolf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I did tested RAM with memtest was ok,
I took them of and putted back again many times so i doubt its about RAM.

I also noticed that the front usb doesnt work if it loads to windows... hmmm strange.

and also if the comnputer freeze and I press reset button I can get no signal and no beep sound so reset button doesn't work sometimes and have to turn pc off to turn it back again.

It is getting annoying.

PS. It wasn't continous beeps, It was a one long beep without the end.

KrisWolf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hmmm I thought you might say that.

I will try list problems one again and see does anyone have solution if not will take to pc repair shop.

So the problems I noticed:

- Computer turns on but can freeze anytime starting from windows logo to anytime while windows is running
- If the PC freeze and I press the reset button I will get black screen, lack of signal and no beep sound.
- Sometime swtiching it off and leaving it for a bit makes the beep sound again possible
- Sometime unpluging and plugin again some cables in motherboard can make possible to turn pc on with the beep sound but freeze and happen again anytime.
- If it freezez or don't wanna turn on after restart the green light from HDD is there all the time
- Front USB didin't read my external hardrive
- today for the first time I got the continous beep sound after computer freezed and I pressed the restart button.

Checked different psu and same problem
Checked different HDD same problem
Checked differenty Graphic card same problem
Chekced RAM with memtest all was fine

CPU is missing one pin.

So the problem is motherboard or CPU in my opinion or maybe not ohhh
I can't check the mobo or pcu as I dont have any similar parts and I don't know anyone who has.

Thank you .