Can't connect to one router?

paranoia101

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
OR something like the title. I can't, for some reason, connect to my router. Until recently, it has been working fine. Only after I added a switch, and removed it, did it stop working.

This isn't like the multitude of other similiar problems where some can connect but some can't, NO device, i mean NO DEVICE, can connect to this Acom Router. Even after I unplugged the LAN from it, it refuses to accept my signal. In Mac, it justs times out. In windows, it says it can't connect. In D-LInk manager, it times out too. On Apple devices, can't connect too. Thankfully, it's just an external relay router used to extend my signal. I have an exact same one for the ground floor, but that's working fine. I can't seem to find a reset button, and turning it off and on doesnt seem to work, so what can I do?

Do I need to buy a new one? Or should I manually connect to it with a LAN cable and tinker with it? I value your opinion very much so please reply with consideration

paranoia101

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Well, I DID use a network cable and it was working fine, until recently. This befuddles me, as it should just go on working fine. I don't want to call my technician in, as he'll just tell me to buy a costly new router.

It's connected through a LAN cable to the router, and it detects it as an active port. Just now, I tried to connect it to my mac using a LAN cable, but it didn't work too. It couldn't identify it for a while, then gave me a self-assigned IP address.

Without being able to connect to it in any way possible, I'm stumped..

paranoia101

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
OkOk, first off I have two mistakes that I have to correct. THe first blunder being that it isnt a router, it's an acess point. ANd it isn't Acom, its 3Com. Yes, I got my facts mixed up, forgive me.

Only just now, I resetted it, so now it's SUPPOSEDLY at all factory and default settings. The name is 3Com and there is no password at all, But still, I can't connect to it. I get a 192.168.1.2 for a milli-second, then it goes to a self-assigned IP address. Funny, eh? It just doesn't make sense at all.

TRENDING THREADS