Sign in with
Your question

Help me rebuild PC after fire.

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2012 2:23:19 PM

My power supply died and I'm rebuilding. Since I've got the box apart, figured it was maybe time for an upgrade. I have no clue what else fried when the PS fried. I was able to unplug the pc and still had a picture so I think my other components are functional still (i hope).

I'm not a big gamer (a little bit) and I do a lot of work with adobe products. I've been happy with this set up.

I have a AM3 set up now, and I just can't tell if there is a point to upgrading to am3+ stay with in my budget.

Currently I have (which may or may not be fried):

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor HDX945WFGIBOX

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

VID: XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Giant case so I need to have a full sized mother board.

Memory: got something like 12 gigs - two 2 gigs, and two 4 gigs. it's dd3 1600

Windows 7 OEM which if i understand correctly will require me to repurchase if I change mother boards?

I've got a budget of about $450 for this and i'd like to add in a SSD drive this time around so it messes things up a bit budget wise. Plus I'm stuck shopping at compusa since i need to finish this today :) 

Here is what I'm planning on doing.

1.) picking up a new power supply: I know it's a little large but there is a 700 watt supply on sale there (corsair I think it was). Regardless I'm planning on at least a 60o watt and i'm budgeting $90.

2.) SSD for boot drive: budget $120 bucks. I'll tack on my other hard drives for storage since that's my biggest memory usage (graphics, iTunes, etc...)

3.) That basically leaves me with $100ish each for a mother board and cpu. SHOULD I GET A LOW END AM3+ or a intel set up? I have no problems upgrading in the future. Just want the same performance I had before the Power Supply decided to roast marshmallows.

Love some advice!

More about : rebuild fire

June 26, 2012 3:00:30 PM

If you are not worried about needing to play the newest games at the highest settings or waiting a few minutes longer for something to encode, your system is just fine as is for a while.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 26, 2012 3:13:23 PM

Yeah lol check if it's fine first before buying anything.
m
l
!