Sign in with
Your question

No power to my computer with the motherboard completely plugged in

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2012 2:39:56 PM

Hello,
So the other day I finally got my Cyberpower pre-built PC. However, the day after it shipped I decided to check on the standard psu that it came with and learned that Xtremegear is not a reliable brand. So I bought a Corsair TX 650W to replace the other psu.

When I first opened my computer, I plugged it in and it powered on just fine, every fan was whirring and it sounded fine. However, when I tried to plug it into my HD TV via an HDMI cord (to the mobo because apparently the GTX 570 only came with a mini/micro HDMI port), nothing appeared on my TV. I tried a VGA cable to no avail. I did a quick google search and found out this could be because of the power supply and figured that I would change it out since I was going to anyway. Foolishly, I thought this would be relatively easy since I had just taken apart my laptop to clean out any dust in the fans and friends who had built their own computers had told me it wasn't very hard. So, I went ahead and unplugged all of the connectors from the mobo, gpu, fans, bluray and hdd and then took the Xtremegear out of the case. I then installed the Corsair and plugged in every cable that I remembered (I probably should have made a list or did each cable one-by-one, in retrospect) and tried to power on the computer. I got a red light at the front of my tower, just like the first time, but when I hit the power button it flashes green for a split-second and goes back to red. I checked and re-checked and re-checked and re-checked again that all of the components that need power to start the computer are plugged in, especially the 24 pin and 4 pin motherboard connectors.

I thought that my Corsair might be faulty so I reconnected the original psu in the same fashion but the same thing happens now.

I am really hoping that I didn't somehow screw up my motherboard, because it was rather difficult to unplug the 24 pin connector, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I don't believe that my psu's are to blame but I will do the paperclip jump when I get home tonight to make sure. If anyone can help me with getting my computer to power on again, that would be greatly appreciated.
June 26, 2012 2:43:30 PM

PS-
Case: Raidmax Blade
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
GPU: GeForce GTX 570 MSI Twin Frozr II
CPU: Intel i5-3570K
m
l
June 26, 2012 2:56:00 PM

Make sure you did not inadvertently use a PCIE power cable as the CPU power cable, or vice-versa. They shouldn't fit, or not easily, but a short-circuit (such as that would cause) is a possibility.
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2012 2:59:03 PM

Onus said:
Make sure you did not inadvertently use a PCIE power cable as the CPU power cable, or vice-versa. They shouldn't fit, or not easily, but a short-circuit (such as that would cause) is a possibility.

Aren't those usually 6 pin? I made sure that I used one of the two connected 4 pin connectors.
m
l
June 28, 2012 3:04:39 AM

Alright, so I basically unplugged everything from my motherboard, and it booted up with one beep then I plugged everything back in one-by-one and it all got power and sounded good. However, when I tried to plug back into my tv the only video signal I got was a green flash about every second. Does anyone know what this means?
m
l
!