hotaka

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
What is the best way to improve the life expectancy of the GPU and all the components of the computer.
Is it just a matter of keeping it clean from dust and having a good ventilation.
Are they any specific brands that are supposed to live longer in GPU?
Like MSI and Gigabyte are known to have solid caps.

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Gigabyte releases some cards with a custom PCB, which is specifically designed for overclocking. They're usually blue.

Most boards and cards that are factory overclocked use custom components to increase their life expectancy.

The best way to improve life expectancy is to keep them efficiently cooled. If you overclock them and there is more voltage running through the component its lifespan will be reduced.

if yo really want to make those components lst much longer go with a custom PCB card but then underclock it a bit to make them last longer. although this will decrease the performance a bit, it ill save a lot of power and make these components last longer

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

Or you can just use them at factory settings and they will last years.

hotaka

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Very good idea :love: .

InvalidError

Titan

That's my recipe too and most of my components last 10+ years.

Not doing much other than simply opening my PCs' cases once a year to remove dust and taking apart PSUs every few years to check for leaking caps and re-cap them if necessary, remove dust clumps and lubricate/replace noisy fans.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Agree with bigmack70.

Where possible I go with components that offer more rugged construction, high quality components (such as capacitors) or fulfill Milspec requirements.

I highly doubt that you can find any actual evidence other than anectdotal to support the underclocking makes it last longer theory. That is not necessary. Run your hardware with the stock speeds and googd cooling/ventilation. Cleanliness helps significantly.

I open my cases up about twice a year and hit them with compressed air to blow out any dust or contaminants.