Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crossfire problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2012 2:57:58 PM

Hello,
I have a Pentium 4 with E-6850 processor duo core with Asus P5K delux motherboard. have been running 2 - 5870 video cards. now all of a sudden the system will not boot with both cards. If I remove the card on the black PCI-E slot and run on the primary slot the system is o.k. I switched cards in the top slot and they both work fine in the top slot. So I believe both cards are ok.I recently purchased a new motherboard (the same as the other) and the same thing happens. I tested all power leads and they are ok. What else could it be? HELP

More about : crossfire problem

May 2, 2012 3:02:47 PM

Did you make any changes in the BIOS?

This is a weird problem... haven't really heard of that before. Is your CPU OK? Maybe try stress testing that (with one card in) and see if you get any problems. Also try both cards in the bottom slot and see if you can get it to work.

Best guesses I have:
-Something got messed up in the BIOS
-CPU is dying
-Motherboard is dying (but unlikely if you've had the same phenomena on 2 boards)
-Power Supply is dying (but again, unlikely if you have tested it and it's good)

:edit: Kind of a wild guess as I've never heard of it before, but I suppose it is always possible that while your GPU(s) are fine, crossfire functionality is dying on one of the cards. Like I said - kind of a guess, and I don't know enough about how exactly Crossfire works to know if it would be possible for CF to die but the GPU still be good.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2012 3:26:22 PM

whats your power supply rating? maybe its not giving enough juice to power up with both cards
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2012 6:15:28 AM

alanstim said:
Hello,
I have a Pentium 4 with E-6850 processor duo core with Asus P5K delux motherboard. have been running 2 - 5870 video cards. now all of a sudden the system will not boot with both cards. If I remove the card on the black PCI-E slot and run on the primary slot the system is o.k. I switched cards in the top slot and they both work fine in the top slot. So I believe both cards are ok.I recently purchased a new motherboard (the same as the other) and the same thing happens. I tested all power leads and they are ok. What else could it be? HELP

I later tried each video card into the lower PCI-E slot and the system would not boot. I did notice that the cards heated up more than usual. Could both mother boards be defective? Is there something in the bios that could be changed? I forgot to say that I also have Windows 7.
m
l
May 3, 2012 3:01:57 PM

Thanks for the reply,
I have a Cooler Master 750 Watt power supply. Both video cards work great on the primary PCI-E slot , However, non of them work on the lower slot and the cards heat up more than usual. To heat up so much might mean that there is maybe a short somewhere .
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 4:17:40 PM

What brand motherboard do you have? Your BIOS needs to have the option to enable the second pci-e slot to be used as primary. It will not enable automatically even if you have the option. Have you tried booting up with one of the cards then stress testing the card with either a game or other software then shutting down and switching to the other pci-e power cables on the same card and repeating the process make sure that it is not the power supply. You could have a fault with a particular pci-e power port on the psu. Have you also stressed tested each gpu individually? Just because you can boot to windows it does not mean that the card is working perfectly. Have you also tried a different crossfire cable? I have seen one that had a tiny bit of corrosion on a couple of the fingers inside the connector due to moisture that was only visible with a magnifying glass but it was enough to cause a system crash as soon as the windows logo appeared during boot. Which leads to my next question, how far do you go in the boot process? Are there are POST beep errors?
m
l
May 3, 2012 6:18:09 PM

alrobichaud said:
What brand motherboard do you have? Your BIOS needs to have the option to enable the second pci-e slot to be used as primary. It will not enable automatically even if you have the option. Have you tried booting up with one of the cards then stress testing the card with either a game or other software then shutting down and switching to the other pci-e power cables on the same card and repeating the process make sure that it is not the power supply. You could have a fault with a particular pci-e power port on the psu. Have you also stressed tested each gpu individually? Just because you can boot to windows it does not mean that the card is working perfectly. Have you also tried a different crossfire cable? I have seen one that had a tiny bit of corrosion on a couple of the fingers inside the connector due to moisture that was only visible with a magnifying glass but it was enough to cause a system crash as soon as the windows logo appeared during boot. Which leads to my next question, how far do you go in the boot process? Are there are POST beep errors?

Thanks for you quick response,

My motherboard is an ASUS P5K-E Delux WiFi--When I place one of the video cards in the lower slot and start - the system will
start and I can go into the bios setup. But when you hit save and start is when it tries to boot to Windows 7 but does not go any further and the card get very hot. I do remember going into Catalys Control Center and raising some of the settings, but they seemed to be acceptable. Would the bios settings need to be upgraded or changed?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 8:43:45 PM

I doubt it is the BIOS. So if you place either of the cards into the first pci-e slot and boot the computer everything is good? Then if you use both cards in both slots the computer freezes and reboots? Then if you place either card into just the second slot you can get into the BIOS but as soon as windows starts to load the drivers, the system shuts down? I don't think it is the motherboard if you already replaced it and it does the same thing on the new one. It sounds like an issue with the drivers if it restarts as soon as windows starts to load. Try booting in 'safe mode' with a card in the second pci-e slot. This will not load the current video drivers you have installed but instead it will use basic windows drivers. Then you can rule out software as the cause. If it turns out to be the software then get the latest drivers from AMD.
m
l
May 6, 2012 3:12:43 AM

+Stupid me ! Stupid Me ! Stupid Me!!
When you ask if I changed the setting on the mother board I said no....BUT, after thinking about it I remembered that I changed some settings in Catalyst Control Center for the video cards. I went into control panel and removed all the ATI drivers and Catalyst Control. I then placed a video card in the lower slot AND LOW AND BEHOLD the dam thing booted up and went into Windows.... So now we know that the mother board is good and PROBABLY so is the first one. So now I believe the problem all the time is in the drivers. I then placed both boards in their slots and booted up and the system started into Windows....Re-installed Catalyst Control Center and their corresponding drivers from ATI BUT the second card is not activated in Crossfire or is there an option to activate Crossfire..It is recognized in the hardware section but not activated.

Now the question is What will activate Crossfire? the bios being updated or the drivers from ATI? With this motherboard being new, does the bios have to be upgraded?

AIN'T IT ALWAYS SOMETHING ? Any suggestions will be appreciated
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 11:02:17 AM

Back to what I said "It sounds like an issue with the drivers if it restarts as soon as windows starts to load". It has nothing to do with the BIOS if windows loads with both cards in both slots and CCC recognizes both cards. Now it is down to one of three things.

1. First, make sure you download and install the latest CCC drivers to ensure this is not the issue.
2. Replace the crossfire cable with a new one to make sure it is not the problem.
3.The only thing left is the crossfire capability of one of the cards. Perhaps there is an issue like Bigmack70 has suggested.

I have seen this happen but with either a faulty card or faulty crossfire cable. This is where having a test computer really comes in handy.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 11:05:55 AM

Assuming all hardware is good, REMOVE what you have installed and REINSTALL the LATEST version of Catalyst Control Center. I am leaning towards drivers being your issue.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2012 1:28:37 PM

Quote:
Ok............ is it only me who see's this guy using a Pentium 4 with 2x 5870's?

I wanna cry too.
m
l
May 6, 2012 2:20:01 PM

alrobichaud said:
Back to what I said "It sounds like an issue with the drivers if it restarts as soon as windows starts to load". It has nothing to do with the BIOS if windows loads with both cards in both slots and CCC recognizes both cards. Now it is down to one of three things.

1. First, make sure you download and install the latest CCC drivers to ensure this is not the issue.
2. Replace the crossfire cable with a new one to make sure it is not the problem.
3.The only thing left is the crossfire capability of one of the cards. Perhaps there is an issue like Bigmack70 has suggested.

I have seen this happen but with either a faulty card or faulty crossfire cable. This is where having a test computer really comes in handy.

Thanks for your response,
Do others have problems with dual 5870?
I will order new crossfire cables and go from there
Thanks for everyone making suggestions. will try all of the above
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 10:47:21 PM

Quote:
Ok............ is it only me who see's this guy using a Pentium 4 with 2x 5870's?

Um...wait....oh crap, how did I miss that!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 10:50:48 PM

alanstim said:
Thanks for your response,
Do others have problems with dual 5870?
I will order new crossfire cables and go from there
Thanks for everyone making suggestions. will try all of the above

So what driver version are you using? The more likely culprit is the drivers. You should really try that before spending money on another crossfire cable.
m
l
May 6, 2012 11:31:07 PM

alrobichaud said:
So what driver version are you using? The more likely culprit is the drivers. You should really try that before spending money on another crossfire cable.

I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI with the crossfire software but there was no place or section where it said to activate crossfire... Several years ago I had crossfire with olders cards ( HD2900) and the CCC had an option to activate crossfire..They worked great until one of the cards went bad.Thats when I put this system together.I don't know why it isn't incorporated in the newer version of CCC..Unless i'm missing something...
Thanks again for your suggestions
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 10:37:51 AM

CCC contains everything you need, including the ability to crossfire. There is no need to download anything else. If crossfire is missing then there is either a hardware problem or a software problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2012 1:37:59 PM

Have any other devices plugged into ANY of the PCIe slots? Correct me if I'm wrong but your board is x16 x4 right... any other device will cut the bandwidth and deem CF inoperable. If you have another device sharing the bandwidth, take it out.
m
l
May 7, 2012 7:09:21 PM

alrobichaud said:
CCC contains everything you need, including the ability to crossfire. There is no need to download anything else. If crossfire is missing then there is either a hardware problem or a software problem.

Crossfire is missing from CCC...I just deleted all ATI software including CCC.. And reinstalled ... still no reference to Crossfire...or how to activate . I clicked on all the side bar features and nothing on CF.
I plan on checking with ATI ... I'm probably doing something wrong, or missing a driver or SOMETHING....MAYBE 2 - 5870's can't be run in CF... The 5870 is a great card and has run every game with out any skipping or stammering....BUT you guys know how we gammers are, we're always looking for maximum speed and performance with what we have to spend.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 8:56:58 PM

5870's can be run in crossfire. I can recreate the problem that you are having by doing this:

Shut down computer.
Remove crossfire cable.
Restart computer.

After doing this both cards will show in the hardware tab of CCC but the option to crossfire will be missing. Are you using a crossfire bridge between the two cards? If so, is the ribbon cable kinked at all? Can you check the fingers inside the connector for bent pins or corrosion with a magnifying glass?

The option to crossfire shows here:

m
l
May 7, 2012 9:28:03 PM

alrobichaud said:
5870's can be run in crossfire. I can recreate the problem that you are having by doing this:

Shut down computer.
Remove crossfire cable.
Restart computer.

After doing this both cards will show in the hardware tab of CCC but the option to crossfire will be missing. Are you using a crossfire bridge between the two cards? If so, is the ribbon cable kinked at all? Can you check the fingers inside the connector for bent pins or corrosion with a magnifying glass?

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r637/alrobichaud/crossfire.jpg

WOW - ALBI - I really appreciate your responses. After going back into CCC - and clicking into PERFORMANCE, I only have AMD overdrive. There is no Crossfire enable or disable only AMD overdrive. I am only using one card now.
This is the only way we can communicate. I will try it again later. Are you using the very latest version od CCC? Are you using dual video cards?

Al
m
l
May 8, 2012 2:11:41 AM

RussK1 said:
Have any other devices plugged into ANY of the PCIe slots? Correct me if I'm wrong but your board is x16 x4 right... any other device will cut the bandwidth and deem CF inoperable. If you have another device sharing the bandwidth, take it out.

Hey Russwood,

You hit the nail on the head. After reading your response, I checked my sound card which is a Sound blaster X-Fi Xtreme. And that dam thing WAS in the PCI x slot. After seing that, I removed the sound card and installed the 2 crossfire ribbons and low and behold the thing booted up and the CCC immediately came on the screen with the options to activate crossfire. You guys are really great with all the respones and suggestions. How would anyone like me know that about the audio not being compatible.
Now I'll have to go and dig up another audio card fo the PCI slot..lolol

Thanks again - Al
Will have to write and let Alrob...know
m
l
May 8, 2012 2:13:51 AM

PCIEx slot not PCI x
m
l
May 8, 2012 6:38:12 AM

alrobichaud said:

Shut down computer.
Remove crossfire cable.
Restart computer.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r637/alrobichaud/crossfire.jpg

Hi Alrobi,
Check the thread from Russwood. I removed the audio card from the PCIE x slot and the thing booted up. And crossfire was there on CCC. I dug up an old Soundblaster Audigy card for a bare PCI slot and that is working. I want to thank you and everyone else who contributed responses to my problem and eventually helped solve them..Happy Gamming to all and if any of you are ever in Scottsdale, Az. look me up.. Thanks again

Al
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2012 10:16:10 AM

RussK1 said:

Nice one ;) 
May 10, 2012 6:16:04 AM

Best answer selected by alanstim.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 9:57:25 AM

Umm....you selected the wrong person for best answer :o 
m
l
!