pifhluk

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
4GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
WDC WD50 500GB
Thermaltake 500W PSU

Idles at 58-62C and when I play league of legends it hits ~85+C and I sometimes get fps lag especially when in the "shop."

I currently have 4 fans on the case, I cleaned all of the dust out and put new thermal paste on still running hot. Unless those are acceptable ranges for this CPU?

I tried going into the bios to change the CPU fan speed but it's some smart fan crap that lets you max set it at 87.5 and some other wierd option.

Please help!

pifhluk

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
VCC3V - 3.39V
Vcore - 1.26V
VRam - 1.78V
VChipset - .99V
+5V - 5.09V
+12.14V
VCC1.5V - .90V
VSB3V - 3.39V
Vbat - 3.09V
GPU Vddc - .95V

Not using a cooler, just the OEM heatsink and fan.

Just played a game and according to speedfan my Core 0 and Core 1 were at 92-95C

socialfox

Distinguished
The voltage seems fine, how much thermal paste are you using? A pea sized amount is enough. Also show me a picture of your computer case (inside), also have you oriented the fans correctly? The top/rear fans should be exhausts while the side and front fans should be intakes.

InvalidError

Titan
Still using the stock HSF?

I had a C2D-E8400 and its stock HSF simply loosened over time because its plastic frame and pins deformed/stretched just enough to prevent it from applying sufficient contact force to the HSF.

Only fixs for that are to either 'hack' the frame to give it back some 'snugness' or replace with an aftermarket HSF like the 212+ or 212EVO.

pifhluk

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Checked the fans. Have 2 front intake 2 side intake and 2 back exhaust + the gpu and cpu fan. Only used a pea sized thermal paste, watched a youtube instructional.

I guess I'm down to getting an aftermarket cooler and hoping that solves it, not sure what else to try. I'm hitting 96C+ now when gaming. Also my GPU hovers at ~50C is that ok?

I'll get a pic of the case shortly if that helps. It's a giant like 1.5-2x the size of a normal case by Thermaltake.

My guess you are on the right track. Some sort of problem with your stock CPU cooler, which wasn't all that great to begin with.

pifhluk

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Problem Solved!!!! Bought a cooler and now my idle is 37C and under load its mid 40s!!

I didn't think stock heat sinks could be so bad? or maybe it was just not seated correctly but hard to believe it would come undone after 3 years.

Anyways works well now, thanks!

Excellent! Always nice when things work out like you expected!

InvalidError

Titan

Plastic is a very high viscosity fluid. Give it some heat and pressure/tension for long enough, it will "flow" and it only needs to 'flow' by a few hundred micrometers to lose most of its contact force in the case of Intel's stock HSF.

My C2D-E8400's stock HSF also lasted for approximately three years before this happened, as did nearly everybody else I know who has owned one of Intel's plastic push-pin contraptions. It appears to be nearly systematic.

TRENDING THREADS