Can my PSU power my new 680?

jrcollins1090

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
so my fiance just bought me the msi lightning edition 680, and when i went to install it i found that 1st off it doesnt fit in my case so i bought a HAF 932 off of newegg but now im worried that my PSU doesnt have enough power for the build.
Components-
Rosewill Green Series PSU 630w
Intel Core i3 2120 3.3ghz
MSI Lightning 680gtx
western digital 500gig intellipower
Lite-on DVD burner
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8gig 1600mhz

+1

@ OP

Nice 'small' rig you got there ;) Be sure to swap out that i3 in the future when you decide you want to unlock the full potential of the GTX680 :lol:

jrcollins1090

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks for the replie, and as for the cpu I wanted to wait another generation before throwing down the cash for a better one, but as it stands now I'm not getting any stuttering unless I keep a game open as well as multiple applications going. Also since the lightning is unlocked I'm going to have to read up on overvoltages and the like for oc

lchrisk

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

Don't try to over clock that. You won't get any real performance difference, as it'll just bottleneck because of your cpu. Just wait for an i5 or i7 or something better than your i3, and you'll be set.

Yeah I would probably try and get an Ivy Bridge Core i5 after Haswell launches if I were you. Ivy Bridge prices should go down at least a bit then, and eventually they'll be phased out (and then you'd need to buy a used chip or upgrade the CPU and motherboard together).

With luck you could still get a bit of money for your used Core i3.