Internet NOT workingg! pleaseee helpp!!!

Michelle_20

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Hello, I have verizon and I currently use the dsl modem. For the last few weeks my computer stopped working and verizon said that it was because it needed a new NIC card. And so I called hp *that's the brand of my pc*and they said that they don't make any more NIC cards for my pc because its too old. And so they told me to instead buy a usb wirelss adapter. And I did. I just got it and it turns out I can't access the internet still .. because instead of a dsl modem it needs to be a wireless one. And so I bought a d_link wireless router but I have noo idea how to install it since the internet won't work. Plus... evrytime I open a new browser, 2 boxes pop up and it says "connecting to broadband connection (wan) ... and then a couple of seconds later another one pops up saying error 815: we cannot connect you to the browswer.please talk to your representative (or something like that) I need help with this. Pleaseeeeeee!!! Thanks soo muchh! Any help is appreciated.. and if you need more details I'll gladly give them to you. Thanks!

Ps: info-
Cpu is hp pavilion slimlime
I have windows vista
I got a cisco usb wireless
Ohh! Another question that I have is .. my computer is kind of confused I guess as to what it is (ex. Wireless, dsl, etc) and I think that's because I kind of messed with the settings without knowing.. and so now I want to change my network setting to one that will work with the dlink and usb wireless. Again.. thanks a lot!

I know you believe that your NIC is bad but for testing purposes I like you to connect the computer via network cable to the D-link router but make sure that the modem is not connected to it, yet.

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "Default Gateway" -- usually it should be 192.168.0.1. Type exit to close the black form.

was the "Default Gateway" 192.168.0.1?

Michelle_20

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

- hi! thanks so much for helping out! i dont really know anything about computers and i barely know anything on how to connect things. so how do i connect my computer via network cable to the d-link? im sorry, but i really got no clue on how to do that. thanks so much for the help again :)