Using Power Supply externally

bmarquardt2

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Hi there. I just built a new PC. Nothing happens when I turn on the power switch, except maybe a try on the part of the CPU Cooler fan and the PS Fan. I don't see any Bios coming up on the screen. I figured that the Power Supply is not strong enough. It only delivers 15 A and 237W at 12V Aside from my system load, which is basic at this point, I'd like to know if I can hook up another power supply without actually installing it in the chassis, just to test. Any concerns about grounding? Thanks in advance.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
You can,just plug in the mobo,cpu and gpu cables.If something shows up it means your current PSU is either providing insufficient power or the PSU is not getting enough power(to make many devices plugged into save 220v wall power connector.

bmarquardt2

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks, blacknemesist, mocchan, teh ham. I did connect to an external PSU (Enermax 620), with no difference. THe fans try to turn, but just for a second or so. The only sign of anything is an LED on the Mobo.
Yes, the 4-pin is connected, with the proper orientation. Here are my specs: CPU: i3 3220, LGA 1555. Mobo: Asus P8B75, VGA connection to monitor, 2x 4GB Ram DDR3. And at this point, I had no Sata drives hooked up. Just a keyboard via PS.
All things that are plugged in are seated right and in the proper orientation. This is not my first build, but this one baffles me. I raised the motherboard, even though it wasn't specifically asked for. That makes the cutout for the connectors on the back a little tight.
I am reading your checklist, mocchan. I am open for any other suggestion. Thanks.

What is the exact model of the power supply you're trying to use? (Internally, I mean) I just realised what you meant by using an 'external power supply'. I was under the impression that you were using your PSU outside of your case, not using two different PSU's at the same time. Using two PSU's at the same time gives you a bit of an issue; both may not turn on at the same time which will cause problems.

There is a trick I will have you do later, but there is something I would like you to try first. Connect EVERYTHING to the Enermax PSU and see if your system starts up. I'm most likely guessing that one of the PSU's isn't turning on thus not giving your system sufficient power (or not delivering any power at all to certain parts) at the same time.

bmarquardt2

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
No, Mocchan, I am only connecting one at a time, believe me. THe inside PSU came with the case. The case is a Thermaltake, supposedly a VM54521N2U. It was supposed to come with a 450W PSU, but it is not the case. The PSU installed is this model: TT-450NL2NK. On the other hand, as I said, even hooking up a PSU externally with 620 W did not make a bit of a difference. So I am back to square one.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
It seems to be a mobo problem.
Did you connect the PSU directly on a earth electrode?You might have a power issue where you are connecting the PSU.Try another one.
The way you described it seems that the power is reaching the mobo but for some reason it stops.This could very well be the mobo not pulling enough energy from the PSU resulting in a mini-crash.Also if the PSU has power spike protection and the mobo is short-circuting the PSU kills the power.Does the light on the mobo remain on after you try to turn it on?If not than the PSU is shutting himself off to protect the system.
I would try to connect only the mobo with a fan and try to start it.If the fans rotate or you hear a beep then the Cpu or the power connection for the CPU on the mobo is the problem.
Theoretically the mobo should start without a CPU and ram.You dont need a screen also,a fan is good enough to see if it start.After that start adding CPU power connector and see if it starts.Then add the CPU.
Whatever the case the mobo seems dead,double check everything,use the mobo instruction manual even if you know your way around.
If everything fails send it to a tecnithian or wait for someone with more knowledge to help.

I remember a few years ago having some "everything seems dead" experiences but when I sent it to the store it powered up and booted with no problem.It was a power problem in my house.

Thank you for clarifying that bit of information for me :)

bmarquardt2

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
In going over your checklist, Mochhan, I detected one thing: The CPU cooler just won't seat right. There is always one side that comes loose. Also, part of the thermalpaste underneath the cooler (which came applied by the factory) is now on top of the cpu cover. I suspect that's part of my problem. If the cooler is somehow loose, won't it prevent the system from starting? And I feel that the 'legs' they made for that cooler aren't very well-made. Frustrated...