Sign in with
Your question

Is this worth $800? Need advice!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2012 5:40:04 PM

I was looking at gaming PCs on craigslist and I found one for $800. I am considering purchasing it, but want to know if this build is worth the money! Any advice would be helpful!

here is the text from the the craigslist listing:

"Up for sale is my gaming rig. The machine was built around December and CPU was upgraded from i5 to i7 2600K at around April, I also added another 8GB of memory. WD1002FAEX 1TB HDD was installed at the end of April.

Here are the spec:

i7 2600K @ stock 3.4GHz - I have overclocked just for the benchmarks, but don't really need all that power for 24/7 use, so I kept it stock. That thing is FAST! Easy to overclock, no problems at all.
CPU is cooled by Cooler Master Hyper N 520 I love how beefy this cooler looks.
Memory: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX550Ti 1024MB Handles games I play maxed out just fine. Skyrim, GTA IV, Metro 2033, Fallout NV, Deus Ex, etc...
PSU: hec Zephyr MX 750 750W not very friendly for cable management but has more than enough juice to keep the thing stable and gives lots of room for expansion.
HDD: WD1002FAEX 1TB (I'm keeping the other drives)
Mobo: MSI P67A-G43
Optical: ASUS DVD burner
Also comes with a fan controller.
Everything sits inside Antec three hundred case. Love how beautiful and simplistic this case is!

For an extra $120, I'll throw in my ASUS VH242H monitor and IBM Model M (clicky) keyboard. "

More about : worth 800 advice

June 26, 2012 5:45:08 PM

Also found another gaming PC build for $1200.

here is the text from the craigslist listing for that one:

"I am selling my recently built custom desktop PC. This thing is incredibly fast. The wireless D-Link "N" pci card allows for faster and broader internet connections. The EVGA GTX 460 video card allows for game and software settings to be set to the max. 8 GB of RAM with a AMD Phenom II x 6 1055T six core processor allows for extremely fast computing speed. It also has 3 terabytes of hard drive space. The monitor is a huge, ultra thin, 25" 1080 HD LED screen. Awesome for watching movies or playing games. Comes with Altec speakers and subwoofer as well as a HP Slim Elite Wireless keyboard and mouse. The fans have blue LED light for an amazing effect, these can be easily swapped out for one that don't light up.

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate. x64 bit system
AMD Phenom II x 6 1055T Six Core 3.62 GHz Processor (known to be overclocked to 6.2 GHz)
Corsair 8 GB DDR3 RAM Memory (2 x 4GB)
1 TB Samsung 7200 RPM Sata Hard Drive
2 TB Seagate Barracuda Green Energy Efficient Sata Hard Drive
Asus Motherboard M4A87TD with USB 3.0 AM3 ATX
750w ATX Power Supply
D-Link "N" DWA-556 Wireless Network Card
EVGA GTX 460 SE, 1 GB Video Card (Super smooth graphics, can hook up to 2 monitors + HDMI)
Sony 24x Super Multi DL DVD+/- Drive with Lightscribe
Memory Card Reader
25" HP 1080 HD, LED Monitor (Thinnest desktop monitor)
HP Wireless Elite Keyboard and mouse
Altec speakers with subwoofer

Software (All pre-installed, no discs):
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Adobe Master Suite CS5
and more..."

m
l
June 26, 2012 6:14:33 PM

I wouldn't recommend buying anything computer hardware related off of anyone on craigslist.

Build your own or get a decent pre-built from a trusted source.
m
l
June 26, 2012 7:18:43 PM

FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP Id go for the 800$ one. C: Pretty sexy computer he's got there.
m
l
!