Please Help I believe I friend my motherboard and CPU

Hello,
I am currently building my first computer, I assembled the motherboard while watching newegg's youtube video on how to build a computer.

I forgot to put a heatsink onto the cpu ( I bought a H60 ) before trying out the test boot

When I pressed start on the motherboard ( Maximus v gene ) my monitor didn't go on nor did the fan on my graphics card start to spin.

Did I fry the CPU? or the Motherboard I do have warranties or is my power supply faulty ( Corsair GS700w )

Please help me, really stressed
12 answers Last reply
More about please friend motherboard
  1. Did the MOBO lights go on? I don't think the MOBO will let it start without a CPU_FAN plugged in.
  2. chugot9218 said:
    Did the MOBO lights go on? I don't think the MOBO will let it start without a CPU_FAN plugged in.

MOBO? What is that and no I didn't see any lights go on
  3. Motherboard... you made sure you have both MOBO power cables plugged in, and a your CPU_FAN header has one of the rads from the H60 plugged in (and the heatsink is actually mounted)? Standoffs are all in place (your rear I/O ports/shield will probably not quite line up if they arent)?.
  4. Oh, No the heatsink wasn't mounted when i did the test boot, The Motherboard has a start button on the board itself. I didnt put the board into the case because I was watching Newegg's tutorial on youtube. They did a test boot outside the case, I just didn't have a heatsink attacked to the cpu
  5. Right, and so it didn't look like the machine was receiving any power? Without a heatsink it will start up (although I don't think without something plugged into the CPU_FAN header, not 100% on this though) but the CPU should turn itself off before it fries, the way you describe it, it sounds like nothing started at all (basically nothing happened when you pushed start)?
  6. chugot9218 said:
    Right, and so it didn't look like the machine was receiving any power? Without a heatsink it will start up (although I don't think without something plugged into the CPU_FAN header, not 100% on this though) but the CPU should turn itself off before it fries, the way you describe it, it sounds like nothing started at all (basically nothing happened when you pushed start)?

Yes nothing happened, do you believe the CPU is fried sir?
  7. No, not necessarily, it would have started up for a few moments and gotten really hot, then hopefully stopped itself. You made sure all your cables are properly connected and that the PSU is actually on as well?
  8. chugot9218 said:
    No, not necessarily, it would have started up for a few moments and gotten really hot, then hopefully stopped itself. You made sure all your cables are properly connected and that the PSU is actually on as well?

I did but nothing turned on so I'm guessing the CPU isn't friend?
  9. No, it would have had to actually turn on to damage it unless something was really faulty with possibly the MOBO. Make sure you have everything properly connected (you never mentioned your CPU_FAN header), your heatsink and cpu fan are connected, and try starting it up again.
  10. chugot9218 said:
    No, it would have had to actually turn on to damage it unless something was really faulty with possibly the MOBO. Make sure you have everything properly connected (you never mentioned your CPU_FAN header), your heatsink and cpu fan are connected, and try starting it up again.

Alright thank you very much I decided to properly install everything inside the case before trying to do any sort of test boot, wish me luck
  11. Alrighty, good luck, just make sure your heatsink is properly attached (if you remove a heatsink from your chip you must reapply thermal paste), your CPU fan is plugged in, all your power cables are correctly and fully inserted, and your standoffs are in place (they may be preinstalled). Make sure of those steps and the likely hood of damage or misadventure is low!
  12. chugot9218 said:
    I don't think the MOBO will let it start without a CPU_FAN plugged in.

That might generate a boot error during POST but should not prevent power-up at least up to that point.

Motherboards that completely refuse to boot without a fan plugged in would be somewhat of an annoyance for people who run non-conventional or passive cooling on their CPU - in a case with reasonably good airflow, contraptions like the 212+/EVO can get their job done even without fan attached, which saves a little noise and power.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computers CPUs Motherboards Components