Dual Monitor - Which Card?

pattazzle

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking to set up a 2-monitor display on this exact setup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883157295&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Unfortunately I was unaware that the DVI out with the included card was DVI-D, and therefore won't work with a vga adapter to run 2 monitors off of the 1 card. I'd prefer to not hypothesis test a solution, so my question is, what card should I get to get to install in tandem w/ the current one in order to properly set up 2 monitors on this system? I can look up videos on how to install, but I just want to get the correct card in one go.

My needs:
Non-gaming applications. The most intensive graphic capabilities I'll need is basic matLab programming. This machine will end up being used for MatLab and Stata.

I appreciate any help.

Solution
You don't have to replace anything.And you don't have a graphics card as in the traditional sense.The graphics processor you have currently is actually inside the CPU chip itself.When both of them are combined like that AMD made up the term APU which stands for Accelerated Processing Unit.

I'm not exactly sure how crossfire works with APU's but my guess is that their would be a option to enable it in the Catalyst Control Center which is AMD's driver suite.Although I do know that you don't need a cable.It's all done internally through the motherboard.

Are you sure you have the right adapter? I'm pretty sure you can use a DVI-D to VGA adapter.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

pattazzle

Honorable
May 2, 2012
So use the 6450 alongside the current card, or replace the current card? Do I need to purchase anything to 'crossfire' the graphics card - like a cable to connect them - or will that just happen once I install the new card?

Again, appreciate the help

You don't have to replace anything.And you don't have a graphics card as in the traditional sense.The graphics processor you have currently is actually inside the CPU chip itself.When both of them are combined like that AMD made up the term APU which stands for Accelerated Processing Unit.

I'm not exactly sure how crossfire works with APU's but my guess is that their would be a option to enable it in the Catalyst Control Center which is AMD's driver suite.Although I do know that you don't need a cable.It's all done internally through the motherboard.

Are you sure you have the right adapter? I'm pretty sure you can use a DVI-D to VGA adapter.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Solution

pattazzle

Honorable
May 2, 2012
From what I've read, there exists adapters, but they don't actually work. Apparently DVI-D doesn't transmit analog - only digital - and therefore cannot convert to vga. Have you heard otherwise?

All video cards initially produce a digital video signal, which is converted into analog at the VGA output. The analog signal travels to the monitor and is re-converted to a digital signal. DVI-D eliminates the analog conversion process and improves the connection between source and display.

^That was taken from the link I provided.

Alright ya your right.After reading around some more it seems DVI-D is a digital only source and cannot be converted to analog.Looks like your only choice is to get a new card.

Your not going to be doing any 3D rendering with the monitors are you?

pattazzle

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Uhh shouldn't be doing any 3d rendering, just economic modeling. So basically I get the 6450, throw that badboy in, and then I'm good to go? Or are there other things I need to consider/purchase?

You mean like spread sheets and such?

Nope that's it.You should just be able to just plug it in and start using it.Usually when the motherboard detects a GPU has been installed it use's it as the primary.After you get it installed download the latest AMD drivers and enable crossfire to combine them for greater performance.

pattazzle

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Cool cool, thanks for your help!

Matlab is used for mathematical modeling, but I'll use mostly for writing loops to calculate algorithms for convergence to steady states. i.e. - if I use a theory that shows a change in tax policy increases consumption, that increase in consumption isn't instantaneous. You know a beginning, and know an end point, and you can use a set of assumptions and an algorithm (shooting star in this case) which will help you identify the path to that new state.

Stata - statistical modeling: regressions and time series.

Again, thanks for the help!!!!

pattazzle

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Installed everything - and drivers - to find that the cpu will only detect the newly installed graphics card. Both monitors are working (tested each on the new card), but I cannot get catalyst or the windows screen display center to detect whichever monitor I plug into the onboard graphics vga slot.

sk1939

Distinguished

You plug both monitors into the dedicated graphics card.

pattazzle

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Ahhhh, ok. I will need to go pick up an HDMI to VGA adapter then. Curious, is there any steps necessary to get this thing to communicate with the onboard display? Isn't that what "crossfire" is?