Canon A40 interface

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
August 3, 2005 5:23:15 AM

I have this camera and have been satisfied with it, but rather than download
the OEM software (Zoombrowser, whooo hoooo) onto a new (work) machine, is
there a bare-bones software set that is required to access and download the
photos. I'm not so much interested in editing, just retrieving and emptying
the camera

Want to install in W98SE and WXP, the latter I kinda figured might have
default capability but does not seem to. One alternative is a card reader,
but, more items, more cables, etc, when travelling.

I think a TWAIN driver is required and ???.
Suggested sources for the files??

--
thanks, Kathie

More about : canon a40 interface

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:23:16 AM

Transfer of photos is as simple as Copy from CF card to harddisk, or
via USB port to harddisk. You need not use Zoombrowser to copy the
files from one place to another. And all you need is a JPEG viewer on
the computer to see the images.

--Wilt
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:23:16 AM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:23:15 GMT, Cicero wrote:

> I have this camera and have been satisfied with it, but rather than
> download the OEM software (Zoombrowser, whooo hoooo) onto a
> new (work) machine, is there a bare-bones software set that is required
> to access and download the photos. I'm not so much interested in editing,
> just retrieving and emptying the camera
>
> Want to install in W98SE and WXP, the latter I kinda figured might
> have default capability but does not seem to. One alternative is a card
> reader, but, more items, more cables, etc, when travelling.

What is this work machine? It doesn't sound like it's a typical
desktop machine located in your office, because you could simply
keep the card reader and cable in a desk drawer. If it's a laptop
computer that you travel with and it has a PCCard slot, all you'd
need is an cheap flash card adapter for it. No cables or card
reader to worry about. No drivers needed either. You'd only have
to use your normal method for copying files, where the flash card
would appear to be just another disk drive to the laptop.
August 3, 2005 8:26:03 AM

Not quite,
perhaps I wasn't clear.

The card is in the camera and WXP does not recognize the camera as a USB
device without loading a specific driver. I'm wanting to load the bare
minimum, preferably standard drivers, on my company's computer.

Suggestions?

"wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote in message
> Transfer of photos is as simple as Copy from CF card to harddisk, or
> via USB port to harddisk. You need not use Zoombrowser to copy the
> files from one place to another. And all you need is a JPEG viewer on
> the computer to see the images.
>
> --Wilt

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:19:51 AM

"Cicero" <None@none.com> wrote in message news:70VHe.98710$5V4.63599@pd7tw3no...
> I have this camera and have been satisfied with it, but rather than download
> the OEM software (Zoombrowser, whooo hoooo) onto a new (work) machine, is
> there a bare-bones software set that is required to access and download the
> photos. I'm not so much interested in editing, just retrieving and emptying
> the camera
>
> Want to install in W98SE and WXP, the latter I kinda figured might have
> default capability but does not seem to. One alternative is a card reader,
> but, more items, more cables, etc, when travelling.
>
> I think a TWAIN driver is required and ???.
> Suggested sources for the files??
>
> --
> thanks, Kathie

Kathie, you can simply install the Twain driver. Go to Canon's
website and download/install the latest version. ZB is not
required. Nor are any of the other half-dozen software apps
included in Canon's drivers.

If you don't specify a default editor, you can simply download
your files from the A40 to a disk folder.

Canon cameras don't work like most others -- your A40 won't
come up as a removable drive under WinXP (or Win98).
August 3, 2005 8:07:40 PM

Cicero wrote:
> Not quite,
> perhaps I wasn't clear.
>
> The card is in the camera and WXP does not recognize the camera as a USB
> device without loading a specific driver. I'm wanting to load the bare
> minimum, preferably standard drivers, on my company's computer.

just buy a usb card reader, XP doesn't need any special driver for it to
work, plug the card in and just copy the files over
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:39:32 AM

"Pete R" <nospam4me@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Cicero" <None@none.com> wrote in message
>> I have this camera and have been satisfied with it, but rather than
>> download
>> the OEM software (Zoombrowser, whooo hoooo) onto a new (work) machine, is
>> there a bare-bones software set that is required to access and download
>> the
>> photos. I'm not so much interested in editing, just retrieving and
>> emptying
>> the camera
>>
>> Want to install in W98SE and WXP, the latter I kinda figured might have
>> default capability but does not seem to. One alternative is a card
>> reader,
>> but, more items, more cables, etc, when travelling.
>>
>> I think a TWAIN driver is required and ???.
>> Suggested sources for the files??
>>
>> --
>> thanks, Kathie
>
> Kathie, you can simply install the Twain driver. Go to Canon's
> website and download/install the latest version. ZB is not
> required. Nor are any of the other half-dozen software apps
> included in Canon's drivers.
>
> If you don't specify a default editor, you can simply download
> your files from the A40 to a disk folder.
>
> Canon cameras don't work like most others -- your A40 won't
> come up as a removable drive under WinXP (or Win98).

No, but it will show up in windows explorer (you may get a pop up dialog
box). Gets called Canon PowerShot etc. depending on the model. You can then
copy or move files to folder on hd.
Dave Cohen
August 4, 2005 2:53:10 AM

Dave Cohen wrote:
> "Pete R" <nospam4me@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>"Cicero" <None@none.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have this camera and have been satisfied with it, but rather than
>>>download
>>>the OEM software (Zoombrowser, whooo hoooo) onto a new (work) machine, is
>>>there a bare-bones software set that is required to access and download
>>>the
>>>photos. I'm not so much interested in editing, just retrieving and
>>>emptying
>>>the camera
>>>
>>>Want to install in W98SE and WXP, the latter I kinda figured might have
>>>default capability but does not seem to. One alternative is a card
>>>reader,
>>>but, more items, more cables, etc, when travelling.
>>>
>>>I think a TWAIN driver is required and ???.
>>>Suggested sources for the files??
>>>
>>>--
>>>thanks, Kathie
>>
>>Kathie, you can simply install the Twain driver. Go to Canon's
>>website and download/install the latest version. ZB is not
>>required. Nor are any of the other half-dozen software apps
>>included in Canon's drivers.
>>
>>If you don't specify a default editor, you can simply download
>>your files from the A40 to a disk folder.
>>
>>Canon cameras don't work like most others -- your A40 won't
>>come up as a removable drive under WinXP (or Win98).
>>

> No, but it will show up in windows explorer (you may get a pop up dialog
> box). Gets called Canon PowerShot etc. depending on the model. You can then
> copy or move files to folder on hd.
> Dave Cohen

In WinXP anyway, there *is* a built-in acquisition wizard. After
installing the WIA driver, right click on the Canon PowerShot A40 icon
and choose "Get Pictures".
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 9:20:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback

The built in wizard in XP doesn't recognize the camera at all, and I've
learned that the WIA driver is the one to use to make that happen, so option
1 there.

I hadn't thought about a PCMCIA card adapter for the memory card - easier
than a USB cable device, i.e. smaller and more portable, so option 2.

Card reader, well, cheap and reasonably portable.

Would have been nice if the camera was recognized as a USB device without
fiddling, tho.

--
thanks, Kathie
"Blob" <blob@gloop.ooze> wrote in message
> Dave Cohen wrote:
>> "Pete R" <nospam4me@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Cicero" <None@none.com> wrote in message

>>>Kathie, you can simply install the Twain driver. Go to Canon's
>>>website and download/install the latest version. ZB is not
>>>required. Nor are any of the other half-dozen software apps
>>>included in Canon's drivers.
>>>
>>>If you don't specify a default editor, you can simply download
>>>your files from the A40 to a disk folder.
>>>
>>>Canon cameras don't work like most others -- your A40 won't
>>>come up as a removable drive under WinXP (or Win98).
>>>

>> No, but it will show up in windows explorer (you may get a pop up dialog
>> box). Gets called Canon PowerShot etc. depending on the model. You can
>> then copy or move files to folder on hd.
>> Dave Cohen
>
> In WinXP anyway, there *is* a built-in acquisition wizard. After
> installing the WIA driver, right click on the Canon PowerShot A40 icon and
> choose "Get Pictures".
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:40:34 PM

> Thanks for the feedback
>
> The built in wizard in XP doesn't recognize the camera at all, and I've
> learned that the WIA driver is the one to use to make that happen, so
> option 1 there.
>
> I hadn't thought about a PCMCIA card adapter for the memory card - easier
> than a USB cable device, i.e. smaller and more portable, so option 2.
>
> Card reader, well, cheap and reasonably portable.

You may find your solution is as slow as a dead dog's dick (apologies for
the local
slang). I've tried it with 1 and 2 GB cards and a sandisk ultraII adapter.
1.89GB of mixed RAW and JPG files from a 20D copied at 20 - 32 minutes using
3 different notebooks: (respectively - Acer PM 1.7, 1GB ddr?ram; Vaio PIV
2.8, 1GB ddr ram; Vaio PM 2.2, 2 GB DDR2 ram.). Nothing else could run
effectively as the process was a CPU hog.

If anyone is getting write times with a PC-card adapter of less than (say) 5
minutes per GB I'd be interested in knowing the setup.

I did go to the Canon site and updated apps and drivers. I had a similar
USB problem, with Sony, Sandisk and Canon trying to replicate and solve it.
It appears solved with a firmware upgrade to the Canon.

Dave
!