Sign in with
Your question

AM3 Processor in AM3+ Mobo

Last response: in CPUs
November 1, 2012 9:13:58 PM

I'm building a gaming PC for a friend, and have been working on the list of parts for him. The CPU I originally thought of going with is the AMD 6100 Six-Core AM3+ CPU. But after doing some research on this processor, I found out it only has 3 physical cores and uses some super complicated thing called "Cluster Hyper Threading" so AMD can justify calling a Six-Core CPU. This has made me a little uneasy about it, probably since I know nothing about it. Is the 6100 really all it's cracked up to be? I have been thinking of replacing that with the AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core CPU. Would this be a better choice? Also, the 965 uses an AM3 socket, and the 6100 uses an AM3+ socket. I know AM3 CPUs are compatible with AM3+ sockets, but would having am AM3 CPU in an AM3+ socket affect the performance at all? I've chosen the ASUS M5A99FX as the mobo. So, overall, which CPU would be the better choice? And if it is the 965, should I choose a mobo with an AM3 socket?

More about : am3 processor am3 mobo

a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 1, 2012 9:25:22 PM

Of the two, I would go with the 965, however I would also look into the 6300. (Pile driver)

It performs better than the 6100 and the 965.

I have heard that AM3 chips do better overclocking on some of the AM3 chipsets, but I have not seen anything to indicate that it's that much of a difference.

m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2012 9:29:33 PM

I would probably go with a intel motherboard with an i3 if your on a budget. It's a better upgrade path if you alrady have a intel motherboard. But if you do decide to get an amd mobo and cpu (which I would advise against) get a piledriver.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2012 9:36:59 PM

I agree with Z1NONLY, the fx 6300 would probably be a better choice. I saw a review on it over at anandtech, don't think Tom's has covered it yet.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-a...

It is a 6 core, it just shares some of the resources so it won't get as good performance as a full 6 core would. Definitely not the same as hyper threading though.
m
l
November 1, 2012 9:47:15 PM

I like to stay away from Intel processors. I'm an AMD fan and always will be. I think I'll just go the 965.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2012 9:49:20 PM

Intels no matter how you slice it are better. And this is coming from a current AMD user. But If you likes the AMD processors go ahead and do it. It's still a good choice for the price. (not trying to start a fanboy war between amd and intel)
m
l
November 1, 2012 9:54:22 PM

My last question that was never answered was will having an AM3 socket CPU on an AM3+ motherboard (ASUS M5A99FX) affect the performance at all? Should I choose an AM3 motherboard?
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2012 9:56:14 PM

It will not effect performance if you are putting an am3 into a am3+ board. But if you get an FX series you will HAVE to buy an am3+ motherboard for it to work. ( and I would go with the phenom. Fx series are really slow, I would know I have one. But if your not going to be gaming they are okay.)
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 2, 2012 1:28:01 AM

The new pile driver FX chips are pretty good actually. The bulldozer FX chips were not so great.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 1:41:51 AM

Hi :) 

The most powerful AMD cpu is an 1100T BE ...

Hard to find and not cheap though...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 2, 2012 1:54:09 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Agreed with both, pretty much (and I know how much you love to tout the virtues of the 1100T, lol), but you'll almost certainly end up paying nearly 3 quarters the price (if not close to the same) of a 8350, so it's almost pointless, at this point, since the 8350 actually isn't a terrible CPU.
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:02:14 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

All the best Brett :) 

Wouldn't the gaming benchmarks for the fx 8350 review show otherwise?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
November 2, 2012 4:28:17 AM

Quote:
I would probably go with a intel motherboard with an i3 if your on a budget. It's a better upgrade path if you alrady have a intel motherboard. But if you do decide to get an amd mobo and cpu (which I would advise against) get a piledriver.

I wish people would stop talking about the upgrade path of i3s.. Seriously, THERE IS NO UPGRADE PATH WITH i3. They will be changing the socket next year, meaning if you want the latest i5 or i7, you will be buying a new motherboard. If you find yourself needing to upgrade your CPU within a year, you bought the wrong damn processor to meet your needs to begin with.

Now in answer to the OP's question. My AM3 CPU runs happily on my AM3+ motherboard.

But yes, it is now time for first time AMD buyers (if you decide to go that route) to look at the PileDrivers. They are decent enough that they are worthy successors to the older architecture.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 2:43:09 PM

nekulturny said:
I wish people would stop talking about the upgrade path of i3s.. Seriously, THERE IS NO UPGRADE PATH WITH i3. They will be changing the socket next year, meaning if you want the latest i5 or i7, you will be buying a new motherboard. If you find yourself needing to upgrade your CPU within a year, you bought the wrong damn processor to meet your needs to begin with.

Now in answer to the OP's question. My AM3 CPU runs happily on my AM3+ motherboard.

But yes, it is now time for first time AMD buyers (if you decide to go that route) to look at the PileDrivers. They are decent enough that they are worthy successors to the older architecture.

The current i5 and i7's are plenty. You don't have to buy a haswell when they come out. if you bought a 1155 socket motherboard and an i3. You could just upgrade to a current i series.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
November 2, 2012 2:46:05 PM

Quote:
The current i5 and i7's are plenty. You don't have to buy a haswell when they come out. if you bought a 1155 socket motherboard and an i3. You could just upgrade to a current i series.

Thats plain bad financial planning to buy a $130 CPU, only to replace it a few months, to a year down the road with the $200 CPU you should have just bought in the first place. Do you not see how foolish that is?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 2:49:53 PM

nekulturny said:
I wish people would stop talking about the upgrade path of i3s.. Seriously, THERE IS NO UPGRADE PATH WITH i3. They will be changing the socket next year, meaning if you want the latest i5 or i7, you will be buying a new motherboard.

nekulturny said:
Thats plain bad financial planning to buy a $130 CPU, only to replace it a few months, to a year down the road with the $200 CPU you should have just bought in the first place. Do you not see how foolish that is?

I am so glad another human being understands this.

If you want to upgrade to Core i5, but the Core i5 now or save up for it later and buy the Haswell version.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
November 2, 2012 2:55:21 PM

amdfangirl said:
I am so glad another human being understands this.

If you want to upgrade to Core i5, but the Core i5 now or save up for it later and buy the Haswell version.

Yea, I see that piece of advice given out a lot on the forums, and often whenever I challenge it, I'm just told I'm being an AMD fanboy.. I guess if I were straight, we could hook up. :o 

At any rate, don't get me wrong, if you have another machine planned, like you have an i3 and you want to build a HTPC or something and get a cheap motherboard, meanwhile swapping an i5 into your gaming rig as an upgrade, that makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to turn your perfectly good i3 into a $130 paperweight because you couldn't wait for another paycheck to buy the right CPU to meet your needs. Its that kind of mentality why so many people are living on credit beyond their means.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 5:16:40 PM

nekulturny said:
I guess if I were both straight, we could hook up. :o 

;) 

Dere, fixed it for you.

nekulturny said:

At any rate, don't get me wrong, if you have another machine planned, like you have an i3 and you want to build a HTPC or something and get a cheap motherboard, meanwhile swapping an i5 into your gaming rig as an upgrade, that makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to turn your perfectly good i3 into a $130 paperweight because you couldn't wait for another paycheck to buy the right CPU to meet your needs. Its that kind of mentality why so many people are living on credit beyond their means.

Believe me, I've had that problem hit me so many times. I bought a Phenom II X2 basically expecting an X4, got an X3, really wish I had just spent the extra $50-$100 and bought the Phenom II X6 when I had the chance because I can hardly find a compelling upgrade for my platform and the CPUs aren't getting any cheaper... rather more expensive.
m
l
!