Sign in with
Your question
Closed

(Screens) Glossy vs Matte. And Screen Size?

Last response: in Components
November 1, 2012 9:30:03 PM

Hey all.

I am going to go to the store and buy a new screen today.

What should I go with? Glossy or Matte? Also what is the best size? All this being for gaming.
I am currently using a 23" matte which I am borrowing and need to give back.

There is no glarey light in my room where I play as I have pull-down blinds that pretty much difuse light.

I don't mind this matte screen but glossy screens seem much clearer.

Also, what size do you guys think is best for gaming? 23" feels pretty good but I could go a bit bigger I think.

Thanks.
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2012 9:55:30 PM

I personally love matte screens. Even if there are no lights that may glare your screen, you will be surprised when you get the glossy screen in person :lol: 

Also, I personally find 24" to be the best size for gaming monitors :) 
Score
November 1, 2012 10:06:38 PM

Surprised with what?
Score
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2012 10:11:40 PM

I apologise for the confusion :lol:  I meant to say "You will be surprised with the amount of glare with a glossy screen". Even when you're in a very dim room with no light, there will still be a bit of glare from my personal experience.
Score
November 1, 2012 10:29:58 PM

mocchan said:
I apologise for the confusion :lol:  I meant to say "You will be surprised with the amount of glare with a glossy screen". Even when you're in a very dim room with no light, there will still be a bit of glare from my personal experience.

Is it so much that it makes it hard to play?
Score
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2012 10:30:16 PM

24" matte, provided that it's 1080p.

There are going to be people who come along and say you have to get one with "2ms" response time. They're wrong - when a monitor advertises that, it's the Grey-to-Grey response time. It's actual response time will likely be 5ms like most other monitors. (The correlation to this - don't buy an 8ms or 5ms GtG monitor.)
Score
November 1, 2012 10:31:10 PM

I always prefer Matte, because of the Anti-glare that it has.
but if you have no lights whatsoever in that room, glossy looks great.
One of these days they need to make a screen that is glossy, but is resistant to glare...
Score
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2012 10:35:35 PM

steve695 said:
Is it so much that it makes it hard to play?

It's not that bad, but it's definitely something you'll notice while playing. My laptop and work monitor both are glossy display and I often finding myself staring at my face while working/gaming :lol:  . If you don't mind seeing a faint outline/few reflections then I would say go for a Glossy display :) 
Score
June 29, 2013 4:12:35 PM

"One of these days they need to make a screen that is glossy, but is resistant to glare... "

Even if they polarize or tint the glass, I think incident light will reflect off the surface. Covering/coating the surface with a light-dispersing material defeats the properties of the gloss (glass) finish. Glass gives reflection and glare. Maybe that is not a problem (less so in the dark), but that is the trade off to get a sharper image and better color contrast. Decide if the monitor will be used more for movies or for computing activities.
Score
!