(Screens) Glossy vs Matte. And Screen Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve695

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Hey all.

I am going to go to the store and buy a new screen today.

What should I go with? Glossy or Matte? Also what is the best size? All this being for gaming.
I am currently using a 23" matte which I am borrowing and need to give back.

There is no glarey light in my room where I play as I have pull-down blinds that pretty much difuse light.

I don't mind this matte screen but glossy screens seem much clearer.

Also, what size do you guys think is best for gaming? 23" feels pretty good but I could go a bit bigger I think.

Thanks.

I personally love matte screens. Even if there are no lights that may glare your screen, you will be surprised when you get the glossy screen in person :lol:

Also, I personally find 24" to be the best size for gaming monitors :)

I apologise for the confusion :lol: I meant to say "You will be surprised with the amount of glare with a glossy screen". Even when you're in a very dim room with no light, there will still be a bit of glare from my personal experience.

steve695

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Is it so much that it makes it hard to play?

24" matte, provided that it's 1080p.

There are going to be people who come along and say you have to get one with "2ms" response time. They're wrong - when a monitor advertises that, it's the Grey-to-Grey response time. It's actual response time will likely be 5ms like most other monitors. (The correlation to this - don't buy an 8ms or 5ms GtG monitor.)

Kiowa789

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012
I always prefer Matte, because of the Anti-glare that it has.
but if you have no lights whatsoever in that room, glossy looks great.
One of these days they need to make a screen that is glossy, but is resistant to glare...

It's not that bad, but it's definitely something you'll notice while playing. My laptop and work monitor both are glossy display and I often finding myself staring at my face while working/gaming :lol: . If you don't mind seeing a faint outline/few reflections then I would say go for a Glossy display :)

momboso

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
"One of these days they need to make a screen that is glossy, but is resistant to glare... "

Even if they polarize or tint the glass, I think incident light will reflect off the surface. Covering/coating the surface with a light-dispersing material defeats the properties of the gloss (glass) finish. Glass gives reflection and glare. Maybe that is not a problem (less so in the dark), but that is the trade off to get a sharper image and better color contrast. Decide if the monitor will be used more for movies or for computing activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS