Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on budget Workstation for videdo editing

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2012 7:15:55 PM

Good Afternoon,

I'm completely new to this forum and will apologize beforehand if this question has been already asked, but I could use some advice on what type of computer hardware I need to edit/render out video.

I am using a RED scarlet camera and planning on using adobe CS6 to edit it so what type of hardware do I need? Ideally I would like to be able to edit and watch 4k realtime but 2K is fine as well.

And FYI, I cannot afford the RED Rocket right now which is why i'm looking for options.

Thanks again in advance for any help, I really appreciate it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: within a week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: 1000- 2000 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing for 4K res. , render, 3D, least important gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I am flexible

Parts Preferences: Open to suggestions but I will need liquid cooling (for pratical reasons as my space is limited and I understand that I need to space for fan cooling)

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but I can only afford to buy one GPU right now

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments:

I would ideally like to get something which can get be by, but then later on 5-6 months down the road, I would like to upgrade it so the performance is better, aka, more RAM, 2nd GPU, etc.

I heard about server motherboards that allow for multi-cpu; is it possible to buy a server motherboard and just use one cpu in the meantime and then later on the road, add another? I'm saying this because Ideally I would like to double my processing power down the road and when I heard about multi-cpu it sounded like a viable option, but i'm not very computer savvy.

Thanks again!

June 26, 2012 9:10:39 PM

I think you got a bit mixed up with the cooling. It's water cooling that requires lots of space, air cooling is just a fan and a heatsink. No huge radiator or pump/reservoir/tubing etc.
m
l
!