Graphic card for two 2560 x 1440 monitors

sylvainrodrigue

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hello Tom's Graphic and Displays Experts,

I want to change my monitors and I don't know if I have to replace my graphic card to handle what I will buy. Here are the details :

I have two large monitors and I love it - one in portrait mode and the other in landscape mode.

I do 3 things : software development (it is my job), photo (Photoshop and Lightroom - it is my passion), and games (mostly block busters).

I'm currently owning an iiyama Prolite E2607WS (not a reference, I know) and a nice -- very nice but old Samsung SyncMaster 243T.

I want to replace them for a SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER S27A850D and a Dell DELL ULTRASHARP U2711 or a Dell DELL ULTRASHARP U3011 - I'm not fixed yet.

That is to say, I will then have two 2560 x 1440 monitors. My current graphic card is a GeForce GTX 570.

Do I have to upgrade my graphic card or not ? If yes, can I just add a second GeForce GTX 570 in SLI ? Or should I get some serious card (and which one) ?

(My motherboard accept two cards in SLI BTW.)

Note that I don't want to use both screen for gaming - one is enought for me.

Thank you in advance and kind regards,
Sylvain, Paris.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
The graphics power you'll need won't change much for upping the resolution. You can just hook up the new monitors and change the display settings from your desktop.

DM186

Splendid
It should be able to handle it as long as it is digital it will do 2560 x 1600. I will link you to the page of the 570 in nVidia. If you could you should look at the GTX 680 Kepler nVidias new card.

I will link it as well from nVidia. That card is one nise card for $499.99 but it will handle anything you through at it. But your 570 will still be good for a few years down the road. Good luck on your works and passion.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-570/specifications

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-680/specifications
680 review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review
570 review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4051/nvidias-geforce-gtx-570-filling-in-the-gaps

pete784

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hello Sylvain,
Yes a Gtx 570 will be be completely fine for two monitors at 2560x1440 if you are doing photo editing or some programming/software development as long as you are not doing graphic intensive programming.
As far as gaming goes, I am guessing you will not be doing eyefinity with 2 monitors because that is not fun at all but likely gaming on one monitor at 2560x1440? Gaming at that higher resolution will require more processing power from your graphics card and you will not get as high as FPS. If you were getting around 60 FPS in 1080p expect to get like 40ish at 2560x1440. Depending on the game you should be fine but not all higher end games will be playable at high setting, you will still be fine if you want to play at lower texture settings etc.
If you are not going to be gaming that much then just stick with your 570, it is a great card, if you plan on doing a lot of gaming at higher setting, i would suggest either sli 570s or get a next gen card like the 7950, but that another 400 us, or something that would be just as good as sli 570 anyways and its a single card, less power and would not have to upgrade anything else like power supply.
Peter

sylvainrodrigue

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Thank you for this clear and complete answer, pete784 ! And no, you are right, I do not plan to play on two screens. Based on your recommandations, I will keep my 70 for a while and then buy a 7950. It is about the same price than a second 570 and a new power supply... Thanks again and all the best :)

sylvainrodrigue

Honorable
May 2, 2012

Thanks you for these links and your time, DM186. I have read all about my current card on the nVidia website, but it wasn't clear about what is the max resolution for two screens. Well, regarding the 680 and the 690, it looks very very nice ! But well, it is 999 euros at this time :/ I think I will wait.

Thanks again and all the best, Sylvain.

DM186

Splendid

You are right not enough info from maybe you shoud shoot them an E-mail and ask out rite. What I read it showed that the two DVI ports primary one was the res you want but it to left me to believe that it starts at lower number and up to the res you are looking for.

It would probley do good res but not what you want out of one card. Good luck to you.