Shell extension

gil-galad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

Hi,

I'd like to now if it's possible to put via registry or through a third
party software an additional command in the context menu of any file.

The command i'd like to put should simply copy a file to a certain folder. I
know there is the SendTo option, but i just want a single command, like the
"Copy" or "Cut" option visible as soon as I click with right button on any
file.

Thanks

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Gil-galad" <edomonet@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I'd like to now if it's possible to put via registry or through a third
> party software an additional command in the context menu of any file.
>
> The command i'd like to put should simply copy a file to a certain folder.
> know there is the SendTo option, but i just want a single command, like
> the
> "Copy" or "Cut" option visible as soon as I click with right button on any
> file.
>

> Thanks

Paste the following into a .reg file and double click it to enter it into
the registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\Copy]
@="&Copy to 'Certain Folder'"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\Copy\Command]
@="xcopy.exe \"%1\" \"c:\\temp\""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\Notepad]
@="View with &Notepad"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\Notepad\Command]
@="notepad.exe %1"

I used xcopy.exe, because the copy command is incorporated into the command
processor and that would make the commandline more complicated to first
launch the command processor and then execute the copy command. xcopy.exe
works just as well.
You might also like the option to right-click any file and open it with
notepad, no matter what the filetype. (I like it a lot)

hth

george

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Gil-galad" <edomonet@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I'd like to now if it's possible to put via registry or through a third
> party software an additional command in the context menu of any file.
>
> The command i'd like to put should simply copy a file to a certain folder.
> know there is the SendTo option, but i just want a single command, like
> the
> "Copy" or "Cut" option visible as soon as I click with right button on any
> file.
>

> Thanks

Forgot to add: adjust according to your needs.
Probably best done with regedit once entered into the registry) to avoid any
hasstle with escape characters and the general formatting of these lines in
a .reg file.

george

gil-galad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

Thank you very much for your quick answer!!
Your suggestion worked!

Just one more question: is it possible to add a small icon near the new
command in the context menu?

Thanks again

> Forgot to add: adjust according to your needs.
> Probably best done with regedit once entered into the registry) to avoid
any
> hasstle with escape characters and the general formatting of these lines
in
> a .reg file.
>
> george

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

AFAIK not without programming.
The ones I've seen so far have been from programs that have a program option
that let's you decide if you want one or not (think of WinRAR, Winzip and
the like)
But...
I may very well be lacking information here....

sorry

George