Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What's a good Website to keep Files on from Windows 7 Safe?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 28, 2012 2:07:47 PM

Hello, so I have a "passwords file" which contains all the passwords for every account I have made. Now I know this isn't the safest thing, since it's on my computer where I can get a trojan and I can get every one hacked. So I wanted a place where I can store this file (maybe online storage)? So it's safe and not on my hard drive. I'm thinking Dropbox? How do I know it's safe and reliable there?

Any Suggestions?

More about : good website files windows safe

a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2012 2:14:57 PM

I would not trust dropbox with your file. They had a "glitch" not to long ago that basically allowed anyone to access anyone's dropbox. http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20072755-281/dropbox-...

This is what I would recommend. Use something like KeePass. It will encrypt your passwords and help keep them organized. Also you can use a portable version of it and put it on a usb drive. So you don't have to keep the file locally on your computer with this method but on an external source instead. And the external source isn't at risk by being online.

If you must use some sort of online storage to save this file then at least encrypt it.

EDIT: here's the keepass link -- http://keepass.info/
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2012 2:22:22 PM

truecrypt, create a hidden drive with truecrypt put it in there, DO NOT forget the truecrypt password else you are knackered.

or print it, delete it and add to it by hand, that way they'd have to be in your house as well.
Score
Related resources
January 28, 2012 2:47:33 PM

Skaz, great program. Now I have a few questions on it, does it keep the passwords on there without me needing an actual local file, and me only having to remember one password to unlock it?
Score
January 28, 2012 3:10:17 PM

Basically what 13thmonkey already said, create a TrueCrypt volume and put your password file inside it. Then when you need a password just mount the volume, open your password file to get the password, then unmount the TrueCrypt volume when finished.

I'd go a step further and get a cloud backup solution for your TrueCrypt volume, so if your hard drive ever craps out you don't lose your passwords.

Here is a cloud backup solution that is free with a 2GB limit. If you need more than 2GB you need to get a paid account... http://mozy.com/home/free/
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2012 3:15:14 PM

Print it out and put the copy under your mattress. Hackers never look there. Or you could store it on a thumb drive and keep the drive under the mattress or in a household safe. A friend stores his in a can of coffee says it keeps it dry (I think he drinks to much coffee but..).
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2012 3:47:41 PM

lets face it if they are in your house then you've got other problems, if they want your passwords they'll just start chopping fingers;)

or a USB fingerprint scanner.

If you've got a trojan/keylogger typing in the password is the weak point.
Score
January 28, 2012 3:51:40 PM

Thanks Knacky for the suggestion but keepass seems far more simple. I'm just waiting for skaz's reply, if not I'll get TrueCypt.
Score
January 28, 2012 4:29:57 PM

Well I tried KeePass, I don't think I understand it. I thought it was to set a password on a file in your PC so that you can't open it unless you have the password, am I wrong on this?

How does Trucypt work?
Score
January 28, 2012 4:58:04 PM

Iceycold said:
Hello, so I have a "passwords file" which contains all the passwords for every account I have made. Now I know this isn't the safest thing, since it's on my computer where I can get a trojan and I can get every one hacked. So I wanted a place where I can store this file (maybe online storage)? So it's safe and not on my hard drive. I'm thinking Dropbox? How do I know it's safe and reliable there?

Any Suggestions?

Encrypt it as others have said then send it as an email to yourself and save it there.
Score
January 28, 2012 5:19:51 PM

What exaclty is the meaning of encrypt? Is that just setting a lock on the file from opening it on the drive?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2012 8:35:16 PM

Iceycold said:
Skaz, great program. Now I have a few questions on it, does it keep the passwords on there without me needing an actual local file, and me only having to remember one password to unlock it?

You are correct. You can keep the main "password file" on the usb stick with the keepass program. There are some really easy "how-tos" on the web if you need help setting it up at first. It even has a password generator for creating passwords. Let me know if you need any more help.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2012 8:38:31 PM

Basically you start by creating a main database and you can call it and store it where ever you want. Then the program is used to open the database and reveal your passwords. When setting up the database it will walk you through it and have you set up a main password for the database.
Score
January 28, 2012 11:07:20 PM

Skaz, what I'm unsure about is how to put files in the database, I used the help that came with the program and it doesn't mention anything about importing files.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2012 11:31:51 PM

Iceycold said:
Skaz, what I'm unsure about is how to put files in the database, I used the help that came with the program and it doesn't mention anything about importing files.

Keepass will create the file for you. The file is the database. You will have to re-enter your passwords into this database. But only once.
Score
January 28, 2012 11:52:48 PM

This is the create entry option right? Is there a way to copy the contents of my file? Just wondering.

Thanks for the help so far :) 
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2012 1:05:38 AM

Iceycold said:
This is the create entry option right? Is there a way to copy the contents of my file? Just wondering.

Thanks for the help so far :) 

No problem. It's actually not the create entry options. The create entry option is for inputting your passwords. To create a database go to the top and chose File, then New. Name the database whatever you want, and save the database where ever you want (usb drive works). Now that its created you can start adding passwords by using the "add entry" button.

Hope that helps.

Great starter page --> http://keepass.info/help/base/firststeps.html
January 29, 2012 1:58:31 AM

Cool thanks got it now.
Score
January 29, 2012 2:10:09 AM

Best answer selected by Iceycold.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2012 2:28:43 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score