Closed Solved

Graphics card upgrade assist needed

Hello,
i am looking at upgrading my graphics card but get confused about compatibility. i currently have a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 1G and am looking at getting the Radeon HD 7970 but am not certain they will interchange. my motherboard is ASUS p7p55d- EVO any help/reccomendations would be appreciated
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card upgrade assist needed
  1. What are your other specs?
  2. not sure what u need to know, motherboard is ASUS p7p55D-evo
    i dont know what my power supply is but currently running the Geforce 9800 it is a 2.0 PCI express i have 4 GB ram dual core. i5 CPU @ 2.67 GHZ
  3. So you might have the Core i5-750. Anyway, you have 9800 GT and wanna have HD 7970? That's a pretty weird jump. What's your monitor's resolution?
  4. ilysaml said:
    So you might have the Core i5-750. Anyway, you have 9800 GT and wanna have HD 7970? That's a pretty weird jump. What's your monitor's resolution?

yes i have the Core i5-750,

i dunno if it is a weird jump but my monitor is a 1920 x 1080 (23") and i have recently added a 19" (1430 x 900) monitor as well for dual display. i play lots of games and want the best performance. i understand the 9800 is not 'direct x 9' compatible and want one that is. i want to do an upgrade that will move me into the higher end of things but i don't want to be changing components every 6 months. so i figure 'go big or go home'. if the 7970 is not my best option then what is?
  5. Best answer
    You need a "DX 11" capable video card, the 9800 GT is DX 9 capable.
    Seeing you have a full HD monitor and wanna run games with good eye candy.

Something like the HD 7870 will be very good for such a resolution. If you wanna have the HD 7970 you'll have to change your CPU for a more powerful one so that there's no component bottlenecking the other. Also, you should consider Overclocking that CPU to at least 3.7 GHz.
  6. Yep. The 750 should be OK with a 7850 or maybe even a 7870, but only well-OCed.
  7. Best answer selected by maryposa.
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Compatibility Graphics