Sign in with
Your question

Custom Build for Premiere CS6 / Photoshop Multi Monitor

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2012 10:29:13 PM

Im looking to create a new computer - a PROFESSIONAL system. (This is what I do for a living is video editing). With 2 main things in mind:
1) Minimum 6 monitors
2) chew thru premiere cs5.5 / cs6 during play back/ rendering

I made a few computers the past... currently i have:
Radeon HD 5870 (6 monitor outputs)
Core i7 950 3.06ghz
12gb Ram 1600.

On this NEXT ONE i am looking to get:
New i7 Quad Core
32 GB Ram 2100+ (overclocked)
Watercooled with H100

Currently on playback premiere is lagging from time to time and thats my issue and render time is not as fast as I would like.

Im trying to figure out a video card / mother board for Premiere and the Monitor outputs.
Budget is open for video cards but would like to stay between $500-$1,300.

Options:

Option1:
I was considering GTX 680 but since I need more monitors then I was thinking to get 2x of them. So that would give me 8 monitors I assume.

Option2:
1x GTX 680 (use this for the premiere side.... ) with 2x ATI 2460 (8 monitors): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So 3 video cards total... but is it bad to mix the 2 different brands of cards?

Option3
Quadro 4000 but i heard this is kind of oldish and not as good compared to GTX 680.

The second thing im wondering is since I have to leave the SLI OFF - to get the multi monitor support... Will Premiere CS5.5 or CS6 be able to USE both GPU's to speed up the process? Or would it be a waste? (thats why i was thinking of the ATI 2460 cards)

a b C Monitor
June 26, 2012 10:42:50 PM

Quote:

New i7 Quad Core
Watercooled with H100

First off overclocking your RAM is *NEVER* a good idea as it has the potential to fry your motherboard, and I'd drop the H100 and go for a strong air fan like the Noctua D14 - you'll be far safer that way. I'd also recommend looking at the i7-3930K *SIX* core - that will work far better with video editing programs than the 3770K will and the extra RAM capacities will help you load large files needed. If you're going to go liquid, don't purchase a closed radiator like the H100 - go with a real radiator like the Swiftech Edge or not at all.

As far as the GPU goes - modern GPUs like the Radeon 7850 will run 3 monitors per card in HD, so you will want to make sure if you're running six monitors that you'll want to get something like that.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($246.97 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($246.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($189.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2338.85
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

I don't include monitors or peripherals on builds as that's entirely personal preference - so add whatever of those you want and you're good to go. The extra processing power and increased RAM capacities of X79 are tailor made for video editing, and the 7850 will give you plenty of room to setup a multiple monitor workstation.
m
l
June 27, 2012 1:39:49 AM

That sounds like a good solid motherboard and other equipment. I do plan to probably use the Antec 1200 case since I already have that. Im wondering why you choose the 7850 Graphics card versus the GTX 680.

Is there something special about those cards that im missing - i tried to do research on it but i couldnt find anything out.

Also i believe if they are in Crossfire - you can not have that many monitors - i think you can just put the cards in but not in Crossfire mode - am i wrong on that?
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2012 1:41:25 AM

thinklearn250 said:
That sounds like a good solid motherboard and other equipment. I do plan to probably use the Antec 1200 case since I already have that. Im wondering why you choose the 7850 Graphics card versus the GTX 680.

Is there something special about those cards that im missing - i tried to do research on it but i couldnt find anything out.

Also i believe if they are in Crossfire - you can not have that many monitors - i think you can just put the cards in but not in Crossfire mode - am i wrong on that?

You can use either / or - the 7850 will be a bit less expensive but it will handle multiple displays with relative ease. If you want to use the 680 it will run significantly more expensive.
m
l
June 27, 2012 1:53:05 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

New i7 Quad Core
Watercooled with H100

First off overclocking your RAM is *NEVER* a good idea as it has the potential to fry your motherboard, and I'd drop the H100 and go for a strong air fan like the Noctua D14 - you'll be far safer that way. I'd also recommend looking at the i7-3930K *SIX* core - that will work far better with video editing programs than the 3770K will and the extra RAM capacities will help you load large files needed. If you're going to go liquid, don't purchase a closed radiator like the H100 - go with a real radiator like the Swiftech Edge or not at all.

As far as the GPU goes - modern GPUs like the Radeon 7850 will run 3 monitors per card in HD, so you will want to make sure if you're running six monitors that you'll want to get something like that.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($189.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2338.85
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

I don't include monitors or peripherals on builds as that's entirely personal preference - so add whatever of those you want and you're good to go. The extra processing power and increased RAM capacities of X79 are tailor made for video editing, and the 7850 will give you plenty of room to setup a multiple monitor workstation.

This is a good setup but I'm not to sure about the 3930k

The 6-core stuff is nice and all but the 3930k performs around 15% better than the 3770k in multi-threaded but performs 45% !! worse in single-threaded applications, even performing worse than the 3570k. This is most likely due to apps not utilizing all 6-cores which results in worse single threaded performance.

I'd say go 3770k as it is the best all-round IVY bridge processor currently AND it costs about 200$ less
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2012 3:29:00 AM

bctande1 said:

The 6-core stuff is nice and all but the 3930k performs around 15% better than the 3770k in multi-threaded but performs 45% !! worse in single-threaded applications, even performing worse than the 3570k. This is most likely due to apps not utilizing all 6-cores which results in worse single threaded performance.

I'd say go 3770k as it is the best all-round IVY bridge processor currently AND it costs about 200$ less

I'd like to see these benchmarks you're referring to.
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:36:53 AM

I think adobe mentions that on their website six cores is better but very marginal... so the performance is probably minimal - anyone else have input regarding the graphics cards though im wondering?
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:57:20 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=551 - look at cine bench As well as most of the sysmark. Keep in mind there is about a 200$ price range between these two.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=551 - 3770k wins overall in this complete review, look at the last part for that statistic

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=551 - there is a photoshop benchmark

If you look at the benchmarks , at the first one specifically, you will see what I'm referring to. And even just overall, yes the 3930k wins a few, not the majority - so would you say that is worth 200$ + dollars?

m
l
June 27, 2012 4:11:47 AM

Hello my friend! check my signature builds, i am sure you will love them, speacially the ~2500$ PC, take a look at it ;) 

Edit: i did a bit of research in Here and here and yes... you are gonna have to turn SLI off if you want to run 6 monitors
m
l
June 27, 2012 4:26:15 AM

If he's doing video editing, he should without a doubt go nVidia. I prefer AMD, but nVidia+CUDA is better for video editing.
m
l
June 27, 2012 4:32:35 AM

obsama1 said:
If he's doing video editing, he should without a doubt go nVidia. I prefer AMD, but nVidia+CUDA is better for video editing.

i dont agree with you :/ 

GK104 is Nvidia's finest gaming chip since G80 back in 2006. The key word here is 'gaming'. GK104 has been stripped down, the compute cache structure is gone, FP64 has been scaled back massively, a narrower memory bus, fewer PolyMorph engines and fewer ROPs among other compromises. The net result is Nvidia has finally not just closed in the huge gap to AMD on gaming efficiency (in every way - from performance per die area to performance per Watt) but in fact edged out AMD for the first time in over 5 generations. At what cost? Compute performance is very erratic. AMD's HD 7970 is winning by enormous margins (~400%) in OpenCL benchmarks, and even a GTX 560 Ti 448 (let alone a 580) is faster. FP64 / double precision is even worse, not helped by the fact that Nvidia has further crippled it to differentiate Quadro and GeForce. In short, GTX 680 is awesome for DirectX gaming. As for compute, it depends on the application. My guess is much of Premiere Pro's CUDA acceleration is single precision, in which case GTX 680 may be faster as FP32 is up 90%, but that is just an approximate guess that needs to be verified. For now you might want to go for the GTX 580 3 GB - prices will be dropping sharply so you could score a good deal. Also, 2GB may be a bottleneck for 4K+ resolutions, and 4GB variants are only coming in April.

PS: GTX 580 3GB are already selling for $450 and may drop even further as the $350 AMD 7870 is faster. said:

GK104 is Nvidia's finest gaming chip since G80 back in 2006. The key word here is 'gaming'. GK104 has been stripped down, the compute cache structure is gone, FP64 has been scaled back massively, a narrower memory bus, fewer PolyMorph engines and fewer ROPs among other compromises. The net result is Nvidia has finally not just closed in the huge gap to AMD on gaming efficiency (in every way - from performance per die area to performance per Watt) but in fact edged out AMD for the first time in over 5 generations. At what cost? Compute performance is very erratic. AMD's HD 7970 is winning by enormous margins (~400%) in OpenCL benchmarks, and even a GTX 560 Ti 448 (let alone a 580) is faster. FP64 / double precision is even worse, not helped by the fact that Nvidia has further crippled it to differentiate Quadro and GeForce. In short, GTX 680 is awesome for DirectX gaming. As for compute, it depends on the application. My guess is much of Premiere Pro's CUDA acceleration is single precision, in which case GTX 680 may be faster as FP32 is up 90%, but that is just an approximate guess that needs to be verified. For now you might want to go for the GTX 580 3 GB - prices will be dropping sharply so you could score a good deal. Also, 2GB may be a bottleneck for 4K+ resolutions, and 4GB variants are only coming in April.

PS: GTX 580 3GB are already selling for $450 and may drop even further as the $350 AMD 7870 is faster.
+
Source: reduser.net

Edit: Read this and this...you should also consider the Quadro 5000 but it cost 1700$ :(  and btw... most people will advise not to buy the H100 cooler BUT i do, speacilly in your type of rig where you also need HUGE amounts of RAM and it has to be fast, and most Fast ram dims are have really tall heatskins and most air coolers will interfier with them, i made this rig SPECIALLY for you ----> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aVHe it supports 6 displays with no problem
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2012 4:38:05 AM

bctande1 said:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=551 - look at cine bench As well as most of the sysmark. Keep in mind there is about a 200$ price range between these two.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=551 - 3770k wins overall in this complete review, look at the last part for that statistic

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=551 - there is a photoshop benchmark

If you look at the benchmarks , at the first one specifically, you will see what I'm referring to. And even just overall, yes the 3930k wins a few, not the majority - so would you say that is worth 200$ + dollars?

That last Photoshop benchmark is untelling as they only have one Photoshop benchmark using CS4 - CS5 has support for multi core CPUs, they can't exactly use an older version with a newer CPU and expect to get the same results.
m
l
June 27, 2012 5:19:18 AM

bctande1 said:

lol u dumb. the i7 3930k performs 45% worse than the i7 3770k IN CINEBENCH R10 BUT in cinebench 11.5 it only performs 8% slower.... but if you enable multi threading the i7 3930k performs 33% better than the 3770k

ofcrs... core for core the 3770k IS better becuase it uses a newer architecture BUT in the kind of apps the OP uses wich have really good multi core suport the i7 3930k is the best cpu he can get.
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2012 5:28:25 AM

aqualipt said:
lol u dumb. the i7 3930k performs 45% worse than the i7 3770k IN CINEBENCH R10 BUT in cinebench 11.5 it only performs 8% slower.... but if you enable multi threading the i7 3930k performs 33% better than the 3770k

ofcrs... core for core the 3770k IS better becuase it uses a newer architecture BUT in the kind of apps the OP uses wich have really good multi core suport the i7 3930k is the best cpu he can get.

Yeah I agree - a benchmark in a DVD playback software doesn't affect how it's going to perform under a heavy duty video editing application. I use 3-D rendering applications and trust me - there's times when the 3930K could benefit greatly but I'm stuck with an i7-860.
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:09:11 PM

@Obsama1 - yes I think nVidia is the way to go because of the CUDA. I keep reading that on other blog posts and other websites that they recommend that video production in Premiere Pro. Especially in the later versions like CS5 or CS6

@Aqualipt - I did read about the Quadro series. But they are older (some of them) and I dont care to spend more than $700 for 1 graphics card (since I will need 2 for multi-monitor support). I also read that they just go through tons of testing to get the support on the Adobe list, when there are hacks for the other cards of the GTX series. (as per your 2nd link)

m
l
June 27, 2012 3:38:35 PM

thinklearn250 is 100% right. Kepler and Fermi aren't very good for compute, and as I said, I prefer AMD GPU's. But, I always see graphic designers/video editors using nVidia. In CS5/CS6, they really take advantage of CUDA. So, I would recommend dual GTX 560 Ti 448's instead of those 7850's. About the same performance.
m
l
June 27, 2012 5:07:50 PM

i somewhat agree with obsama1, OP change the 7970 for dual gtx 560 ti 448 ;) 
m
l
June 27, 2012 5:22:07 PM

Yes i think GTX is the way to go - i will debate the 560 vs 680 next debating on price and value that you get out of the use. Any thoughts on this?

Also anyone have a reason on why regarding the cooling....why g-unit1111 said .... the H100 is not a "real radiator" ? im just wondering.... i personally dont want any drips in the system and closed unit seems better option with the equipment in there for SAFETY reasons?
m
l
June 27, 2012 5:44:38 PM

thinklearn250 said:
Yes i think GTX is the way to go - i will debate the 560 vs 680 next debating on price and value that you get out of the use. Any thoughts on this?

Also anyone have a reason on why regarding the cooling....why g-unit1111 said .... the H100 is not a "real radiator" ? im just wondering.... i personally dont want any drips in the system and closed unit seems better option with the equipment in there for SAFETY reasons?

Well, go to my signature build and the very botton you will find my personal build, as you can see everything is custom watercooled with most extreme stuff avaliable

if the H100 doesnt use a real radiator then how in the world does it cools the water?

its uses a custom little pump, waterblock, radiator and a fan, to cool your cpu, i highly recomend it
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2012 6:15:49 PM

aqualipt said:
Well, go to my signature build and the very botton you will find my personal build, as you can see everything is custom watercooled with most extreme stuff avaliable

if the H100 doesnt use a real radiator then how in the world does it cools the water?

its uses a custom little pump, waterblock, radiator and a fan, to cool your cpu, i highly recomend it

It uses a radiator but the fans included are of the cheap plastic variety - and most people who purchase H100s wind up replacing the fans with Noctua fans anyways, if you're going to do liquid cooling - my personal opinion is go with a custom loop - triple fan radiator - or not at all. If I was going to put a liquid loop in my setup I'd get this: http://www.swiftech.com/H2O-x20-Edge-HD.aspx
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:39:31 PM

g-unit1111 said:
It uses a radiator but the fans included are of the cheap plastic variety - and most people who purchase H100s wind up replacing the fans with Noctua fans anyways, if you're going to do liquid cooling - my personal opinion is go with a custom loop - triple fan radiator - or not at all. If I was going to put a liquid loop in my setup I'd get this: http://www.swiftech.com/H2O-x20-Edge-HD.aspx

i disagree with you, noctua fans might be good but they are ugly as hell, i prefer coolermaster Excalibur fans 2 of those will give you lower temps than the stock fans in the H100

Edit: for a custom loop there are better (and cheaper) choises than the kit you linked
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:43:31 PM

I guess if your really planning to overclock the sucker the fans matter more and so on, but if your just boosting it slightly, it probably doesnt matter (maybe im wrong) not sure.

Anyways thank you everyone for your feedback. I learned a lot and really appreciate it. I hope other people can find this post helpful.

As for my final choice of where im leaning towards incase someone in the future wants to know - im more leaning towards a pair of GTX 680 cards. I know that premiere will only use 1 of the GPU's for the rendering side.

I will also probably go Quad core - not 6 as that is a bit steep for the return of value for me I think.
m
l
June 27, 2012 7:18:58 PM

thinklearn250 said:
I guess if your really planning to overclock the sucker the fans matter more and so on, but if your just boosting it slightly, it probably doesnt matter (maybe im wrong) not sure.

Anyways thank you everyone for your feedback. I learned a lot and really appreciate it. I hope other people can find this post helpful.

As for my final choice of where im leaning towards incase someone in the future wants to know - im more leaning towards a pair of GTX 680 cards. I know that premiere will only use 1 of the GPU's for the rendering side.

I will also probably go Quad core - not 6 as that is a bit steep for the return of value for me I think.

Bro... i highly recomend you the 3930k over the 3770k or 3820, a guy like you who use professional apps, speacially CS6 will apreciate it greatly.

As for the GPUs, get a pair of ---> GTX 560 ti 448, GTX 570 or GTX 580, either pair will perform faster than kepler based cards in CUDA and Rendering/encoding/decoding

As for the H100 cooler, with the Stock fans it gives you 3-4°C less than the Ultra huge (and ugly) Noctua D14 or 2-3°C less than the Even bigger (but pretty) Zalman CNPS12X, but if you buy the fans i linked you will get even lower temps!
m
l
!