Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3x Monitors + 2x Video Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2012 9:51:01 PM

Hi everyone,

Really appreciate your time for reading this. I'll explain the situation.

1) I have three monitors (different brands, but are DVI and HDMI capable)
2) I only have DVI cables and HDMI cables (i cannot find any displayport adapters lying around)
3) I have two Radeon 2GB 6950's in CrossFire (unfortunately only the main video card has shader unlocked, the 2nd 6950 is newer PowerColor 6950 and I havent figured out how to perform a stable unlock yet)
4) Windows 7 (x64) with Catalyst 12.4

Obviously the first two monitors plugged in via DVI work fine. its just when I plug in the third via DVI or HDMI into Video Card #2 do I not get any detection. Strangely I tried restarting, uninstalling drivers.. and only after uninstalling my drivers prior to the restart can I get all three displays working in tandem. After a driverless restart im back to zero monitors again (makes sense), run driver sweeper, then install the drivers again, still only two monitors but the third flickers on and off momentarily during the driver install, when its done: two monitors only. Restart, and still to two monitors.

I probably just don't know what im doing and thats why im here for advice!

Please and thank you!!

edit: added OS, drivers, and typo fixed

More about : monitors video cards

a c 140 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2012 10:41:26 PM

Disable crossfire. When in Crossfire mode, the outputs on the second card are disabled.

-Wolf sends
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2012 11:13:47 PM

True, the scenario for AMD cards is that wen CF enabled only the primary card has the active outputs, if you need to run 3 monitors as a stand-alone setup disable the CF.

For Eyefinity, you gotta get the Active Mini DP to HDMI/DVI.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 2, 2012 11:14:27 PM

As Wolfshadw suggests, disabling crossfire will allow you to connect your 3rd monitor to your 2nd card. However, if you're wishing to run eyefinity you will need to hook all 3 monitors to your primary gpu, connecting your 3rd monitor to your primary gpu via an ACTIVE displayport adaptor. A list of approved dongles can be found in this link.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...

Also worth a read is a guide put together by hugostiglitz.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/344343-33-eyefinity-s...

Good luck.
May 3, 2012 1:33:40 AM

Wow great information, clarifies why the 3rd screen worked briefly when the drivers were uninstalled too.

Thanks!

m
l
May 3, 2012 1:34:02 AM

Best answer selected by alclarity.
m
l
!