$150 Case Recommendation Needed

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Hey guys, I'm going to be doing a new build in about a month or so. I have an Antec 900 case right now. I don't want anything with more than 20" depth from front to back, but I'd be fine with a case being wider to accommodate better cable management. Right now the leader in the clubhouse is the Corsair 600T. The ONLY thing I don't like about it, is that it's big. I thought the Antec 900 was a little on the large side to begin with, so I wasn't really wanting to get a bigger case. I have a GTX560 now, and will probably go to a 660ti or a 670 in the near future. I don't want anything overly flashy and I'll probably remove any colored LED's, though I would like a window in the side of it. Any recommendations guys?

Solution

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks for the tip on the 670! Saving up for it won't be an issue, I could really buy the whole deal at any point I want...I'm just trying to get some more money put back in case of any emergencies first (recent college grad...big kid jobs are the greatest lol).

The Carbide 500R does seem to fit my needs pretty well; it may be a new frontrunner. Does Corsair have a good name in this business? I know they make a lot of stuff, but I see some of their items at stores like Best Buy and it seems that, typically, that mass produced department store stuff is of a lesser quality than some things that may be harder to find (such as being able to find Sony headphones everywhere, while my Futuresonics blow away anything you could dream of getting at Best Buy).

Yes, Corsair is one of the best known brands in the computer hardware industry and renowned for their quality.

I'm a bit of a fanboy so I may be a bit biased in this respect ( :lol: ), but I will assure you, the 500R is a great chassis. The Obsidian 550D I personally use is based around the 500R and it's by far one of the easiest cases I've worked with. Cable routing was a bit of a challenge on my case due to how the side panel is flat. However, considering the 500R has a protruding side panel, cable routing will certainly be much easier due to the extra 1" of space :)

To give you an example of other cases, here are some non-Corsair cases that I personally like as well. I would definitely recommend these to anyone looking for a very sleek/robust mid-tower.

Bitfenix Shinobi - http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/shinobi/

NZXT Phantom 410 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
That's an awesome deal on the 500r! Question though, because I would prefer a side window panel...what benefits does the 500r have over the 300r? I believe the 300r is a bit smaller which I prefer, and it can be had with the giant window on the side. I've seen people do case mods to put windows into the 500r but the kit alone for that is another $50. A window on the side isn't make or break but all other things fairly equal, I'd rather have one.

Thanks again for the discussion so far guys!

The major differences between the 300R and 500R are build quality and expandability options. The Corsair Carbide 500R has the capability to install 6 HDD/SSD's if you wished while the 300R only has 4 (Don't forget the removable drive cages in the 500R). A few other features that the 300R lacks would be rubber gromits around the cable routing holes :)