Budget CPU for Video Editing

shifty11

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I have about $400CAD to spend on a new computer. I use Sony Vegas.
I have narrowed it down to the FX 6100($110) and the Phenom II X6 1045T($90). After reading a few reviews, it seems to close to call so I need some expert advice.

Ultimately I'd like to spend as little as possible and I'm open to going to States to pick up some components as I will be there in a couple weeks.

I intend on getting a 120GB SSD($90) and use my 1.5TB for storing files. Will using the SSD be a good investment or should I get a cheaper hard drive?
I wanted to use on board graphics and buy a GPU in the new year.

Thanks!

Solution
I would go with the Phenom II X6 1045t, the FX 6100 needs a good overclock to perform as good as the Phenom. In addition, the Phenom has 6 real cores whereas the FX-6100 has 3 execution cores and 6 threads. Also if speed is important go for the SSD but I prefer traditional hard drives, I do not mind the wait but they last longer (much longer) than a SSD. If you want a good on-board video card then you should pick a good motherboard.

socialfox

Distinguished
I would go with the Phenom II X6 1045t, the FX 6100 needs a good overclock to perform as good as the Phenom. In addition, the Phenom has 6 real cores whereas the FX-6100 has 3 execution cores and 6 threads. Also if speed is important go for the SSD but I prefer traditional hard drives, I do not mind the wait but they last longer (much longer) than a SSD. If you want a good on-board video card then you should pick a good motherboard.

Solution
880G chipset is excellent with its integrated Radeon HD4250. As long as you don't want to take advantage of GPU acceleration, I say scrap the GPU :)

On a side note, do you need this rig now and is there a possibility of you increasing your budget? With the FX-8320 being around ~$160, it's a great rendering CPU for the cost. If you overclock it moderately, it'll be one heck of a performer as well.

You can't beat 8 threads munching on data :lol: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/57446-fx-8350-cpu-review-amds-vishera-arrives-21.html

shifty11

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Unfortunately the FX-8320 and I5 are just out of the question. Being an amateur, I can't justify spending all that money for a better system considering I have used some extremely SLOW computers to render video. The Phenom II with the 880G will be a HUGE upgrade compared to what I'm using now.

I was looking at those charts and I wouldn't be able to afford any of those or similar cards. If I were to get an HD 6670 will I notice any difference when using GPU acceleration?

shifty11

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
A netbook for pictures and a 6 year old desktop for video. LOL I'm a pretty patient guy. The lag when using lightroom was bearable until recently and I won't even touch any of my video. I was trying to avoid buying a desktop but the time has come!