IBM HDDs (Advice)

G

Hey guys ive been posting on other forums for a long time and ive finaly decided to sign up to one which is connected to a site whoes opinion i respect.. my question is :

Over the last 6 months ive had 2 IBM harddrives Die, the first went out in a big way, not even ONTRACK were able to recover ANY data... and now another one has gone.

The two drives were both 75GXP drives one was a 46.1GB and the other a 61gb drive.. luckily this time i had 2 61gb drives on a mirrored Raid, so i didnt loose anything, - Which leads me to my question:-

What can make harddrives Fail? im not talking about the obvious .. dropping them shaking the case etc..
What can cause hdd failures? can the PSU or motherboard directly effect the drives life?.

Also ive read on a few forums that A lot of IBM drives have been sent back because of faults..
I basicaly need to know if its partialy my fault for the drive dieing.. or if im just very unlucky getting 2 duff drives in 6 months..

Cheers RO

Theres no such thing as impossible... just hard and harder.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I don't think it's your fault in any way. It's just not a perfect world. Lately, there have been a few posts indicating problems with IBM drives, but no one has complained that IBM would not honor the warranty. I have never owned an IBM drive, just Western Digital and Maxtor. The one time I had a problem with a new Maxtor drive which failed after 1 day, I had no problem bringing it back to CompUSA for an exchange.

<font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?<font color=green> :cool:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*nods*
seems to be a minor epedemic with the mid range capacity 75GXP line.
a shame since IBM's reputation is very good otherwise.
as to why do they go wrong...
some speculate that drives made at a certain factory fail more often, possibly due to lax/shoddy workmanship (proves if ya gonna do something right, ya do it yourself)
another thing may be the apparent drive controller causing errors, and tahts really a design flaw which has gone undetected.
another issue some people have had is with win98/me shutting down too fast, and not letting the drive write data to the drive, cauzing all sorts of issues at startup. this is more of an operating system error.

put simply. its an imperfect world. every device has a chance of failure. and you may have been unlucky. unlucky that you got a drive from a bad batch, and double unlucky that you may have recieved a replacement from the same batch.
i suggest you forget about the 75gxp and go for 2 60gxp's.
only a few errors ive seen, about normal for drives. and the 60gxp is newer, cooler & quieter.
ive got one and its happy happy happy.

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

G

ive seen A LOT of posts regarding the 45gigs of the delta series. i myself have a 30gig and had no problems with it and have not read a lot of complaints regarding this size.

i personally think imb seem to have a fault with some of the higher capacity hdd.

G

Cheers for the replys.. ive also been told that a PSU problem might cause this, due to power spikes.. im testing my PSU now to see if it is, but wouldnt this effect all devices attached to the PSU?

Theres no such thing as impossible... just hard and harder.