Epson printer heads clogged.

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 3, 2005 2:58:48 AM

I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
try something like that.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:50:30 AM

Paul Furman wrote:
> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
> over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
> they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
> rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
> sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
> very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
> try something like that.

Actually the recommended solution is 1/2 rubbing achohol and 1/2
windex.
Someone else in this thread posted a response on who to send to for the
cleaning instructions.

You can also use the cleaning utility in the windows control panel,
under printers. That sometimes works.

Also, someone has mentioned filling an old ink cartrige with the
cleaning solution and running it through a few print cycles. I have
never tried this one. (I don't know about doing this?)

roland
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:56:55 AM

Thanks guys.
August 3, 2005 12:13:28 PM

Paul Furman wrote:
> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
> over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
> they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
> rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
> sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
> very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
> try something like that.

Google for "clean epson print heads windex". Windex is an excellent
solvent for Epson ink (and others, so I'm told), so you basically drip a
couple of drops onto the spongy thing where the print heads park
themselves, then switch the printer off overnight. The heads park, the
Windex soaks into the head and a regular clean with the utility in the
morning normally fixes the problem.

I had exactly the same situation - I didn't use my Epson printer from
one week to the next and had to do the above just about every time I
used it. It also consumed colour ink when it was doing nothing but
printing in black. I once bought a brand new colour cartridge because it
was complaining it was empty and refusing to print even in black. Over
the next couple of weeks I printed nothing but black, but since a bit of
colour ink is wasted each time you switch the thing on, the colour
cartridge slowly drained away. When it told me it wanted another colour
cartridge, and I realised I'd not printed a single colour page, I
chucked the damn thing out. Those cartridges cost serious money.

It's part of Epson's plan to screw money from their customers with
expensive cartridges, and having been burnt by it, I will never buy
another Epson product. Never.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:41:06 PM

piperut wrote:

> You can also use the cleaning utility in the windows control panel

Epson phone tech suggested doing that and running it three times without
clicking finish to engage the deep cleaning mode then wait 24 hrs & try
again. Very minor improvement.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:11:55 PM

In article <UvSdnWh0j5yFwG3fRVn-3A@speakeasy.net>,
Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:

> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
> over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
> they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
> rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
> sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
> very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
> try something like that.

Just run the cleaning procedure in the Epson utilities software. You
might have to run the procedure ten times or more for a thorough
cleaning. My parents have the same printer. They rarely print anything
so when I go there and my dad asks me to show him how to print
something, the heads on their Epson C80 are usually clogged, and I have
never had a problem getting it to print clearly after multiple cleanings.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:29:57 PM

piperut wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
>> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
>> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just
>> gunked over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech
>> support & they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads
>> with a q-tip & rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people
>> doing). I'm not even sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it
>> possible? I've never been very happy with the printer & it was not
>> very expensive so willing to try something like that.
>
> Actually the recommended solution is 1/2 rubbing achohol and 1/2
> windex.
> Someone else in this thread posted a response on who to send to for
> the cleaning instructions.
>
> You can also use the cleaning utility in the windows control panel,
> under printers. That sometimes works.

I find it usually works if you run it once, let everything sit for
several hours and run it again. Some times a third try is needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
August 3, 2005 10:34:33 PM

Paul Furman wrote:
> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
> over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
> they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
> rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
> sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
> very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
> try something like that.

Look for Arthur Entlich posts in comp.periphs.printers.
Send him an email, and he'll return a manual on unclogging printers.
Windolene is apparently used, the method I don't know.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:26:29 PM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:11:55 -0400, Shawn Hirn
<srhi@comcast.net> wrote:

>Just run the cleaning procedure in the Epson utilities software. You
>might have to run the procedure ten times or more for a thorough
>cleaning. My parents have the same printer. They rarely print anything
>so when I go there and my dad asks me to show him how to print
>something, the heads on their Epson C80 are usually clogged, and I have
>never had a problem getting it to print clearly after multiple cleanings.

I have to do that regularly with my epson 440 stylus.
However, I've always suspected that the procedure wastes a
lot of ink. Are my suspicions correct?
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:26:30 PM

Alan S wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:11:55 -0400, Shawn Hirn
> <srhi@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Just run the cleaning procedure in the Epson utilities software. You
>>might have to run the procedure ten times or more for a thorough
>>cleaning. My parents have the same printer. They rarely print anything
>>so when I go there and my dad asks me to show him how to print
>>something, the heads on their Epson C80 are usually clogged, and I have
>>never had a problem getting it to print clearly after multiple cleanings.
>

> I have to do that regularly with my epson 440 stylus.
> However, I've always suspected that the procedure wastes a
> lot of ink. Are my suspicions correct?

Do brown dogs bark? Hell yes. :)
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:13:37 PM

Well I tried many more cleaning cycles as well as windexing the guts in
various ways without hardly any change (black & magenta are still nearly
dead) and now it's run down 3 more empty ink cartridges so I'm giving
up. Anyone want a C80 cheap? I never liked the thing but geeze it's only
about 3 years old.

Any suggestions for an 11x17 size printer with roll feed & hearty ink
cartidges?

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net

Paul Furman wrote:
> Well I tried many more cleaning cycles as well as windexing the guts in
> various ways without hardly any change (black & magenta are still nearly
> dead) and now it's run down 3 more empty ink cartridges so I'm giving
> up. Anyone want a C80 cheap? I never liked the thing but geeze it's only
> about 3 years old.

Hi Paul...

If you're interested in giving it one last shot before you
give it or throw it away, go to www.ssclg.com.

He offers a (freeware) Epson utility that is fantastic.

One (of many) utilities it offers is a "power cleaning"
option. And choose between either color or black carts,
so you needn't waste the other.

If your printer is supported, it's worth a try.

Good luck, and take care.

Ken
!