My Hard Drive

Hello, I have an Emachines PC I bought from Wal-Mart about ~2 years ago.

Recently my hard drive crashed and I threw it away, now I have 2 SATA drives and have them connected to the Motherboard however when I enter BIOS they do not come up. I really don't know what to do I have a copy of Windows XP to install VIA USB and it goes through the set up but no Hard Drives come up to put it on.

Any help please!?
8 answers Last reply
More about hard drive
  1. First and foremost, are the hard drives connected to the power supply? I mean no offence if the question sounds patronising but I'm unsure of your experience with tinkering inside the case and I suppose it's the easiest mistake to make. Secondly, are you certain that the hard drive crashed and it wasn't anything to do with the motherboard's SATA headers? And last but not least - though it seems unlikely based on the fact that neither of the drives are showing up - give all the cables a good push to make sure they're locked into place.

My first experience with connecting up a hard drive ended in what you're describing because I was too scared to apply the required force for fear of breaking something. Forcing down the arm of the processor socket was even more terrifying though - felt like it was crunching under the force. :sweat:
  2. I have everything set up right, and the sata cables are fine tested with my friends HDD before mine crashed, hell I am using new ones that came with the new PC I just got and all of this is still not working.
  3. does your bios recognize the hard drives
    if bios recognize them so try to set your bios to default settings
  4. Zoft said:
    I have everything set up right, and the sata cables are fine tested with my friends HDD before mine crashed, hell I am using new ones that came with the new PC I just got and all of this is still not working.

Do you hear the hard drives spin up when you boot? I'm familiar with the hard drive being detected by the BIOS but not Windows, but this is a strange one. How old is the motherboard; two years, as with the PC?
  5. PC and Motherboard are both 2 years old.
  6. Hmm. What sort of settings does your motherboard provide for identifying SATA connections? Auto/Manual detection modes? It could be a simple little setting that's been left over from the process they used to put together your PC.
  7. Auto-Detect Sata connection, and it is enabled.
  8. Well, I have to say I'm at a loss. Have you flashed the motherboard BIOS to the latest version? If it's all connected properly, all the hardware has been tested elsewhere and proven to work, and your motherboard had no problem auto detecting your old hard drive... it seems there is no cause of the problem. Are they definitely getting enough power from the PSU? And have you tried with just one drive in the first SATA slot to see if it detects it at bare minimum?
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Hard Drives eMachines Systems