unexceptionalgeek

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hello,
Im building my first pc an was wondering what people think of my component selection :
Motherboard: Asus rampage iv extreme rog s2011
Proccesor: Intel core i7 3930 3.2ghz 12mb cache s2011
Case: coolermaster haf full tower
Ram: Corsair vengance 16 gb 1600 mhz
PSU: Corsair 750 watt
Hard drive: 1 tb 7200 rpm
Graphics card: Asus geforce 670 2gb
if you can point out any flaws in this list please let me know !! power supplie might be a bit too high but im going to keep it for future upgrades etc. Thanks again.

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
will you be overclocking? what is your monitor resolution? That kind of info is always important when asking for help with a new build.

Right off the bat i notice that you don't have an SSD in there. A Solid State Drive would be great to install your OS and a few often-used programs on, as it is much MUCH faster than a HDD. You can keep that HDD for storage. What kind is it, btw? What brand, etc.

If you are overclocking you will definitely want an aftermarket cooler. I suggest the Noctua NH-D14 SE 2011 as it is made specifically for socket LGA 2011. There may be other coolers better suited for the LGA 2011 platform but I'm unfamiliar with them so maybe someone else could help or you could do a bit of research.

As for the case, what exact model is it?

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Here is a thread i found with a quick google search that might help you decide on a cooler: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691507

Second, I forgot to recommend the SSD I'm using which is a Crucial M4 128GB. While Intels are probably the most reliable SSDs they also cost a lot of money--samsung are good too, OCZ vertex 3's are fast but not as reliable and the 4's are even faster although i haven't heard much about reliability. The Crucials to me are the best balance between reliability, price and speed.

Once again, what brand is your powersupply? What specifications? Is it modular, or no? 80+ Gold, Platinum, etc?

unexceptionalgeek

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Ill be looking into overclocking but im no expert so i want to do everything properly.
the problem with geeting a ssd is my budget as im pushing it a bit already but i think i will get one ! what size do you recommend ? The hard drive brand is seagate. The case is a coolermaster haf 932. And i am getting an after market cpu cooler for the lga 2011 platform. thanks for the reply.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Helo, depending on your budget, check my signature builds, you will love them ;) and if you have any questions about them or need any help choosing parts, let me know....although i alredy see a few parts that can be changed in yours, but i will let you figure out wich ones :D

Edit: There is one MAJOR flaw in your build, but i will let you check my signature build and let you do some comparation, btw tell us your budget

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
The SSD size depends on your needs. I have a 128GB which i have isntalled a couple games and the 5 programs i use the most on, which is all i need.

Speaking of needs, you might be putting money into the wrong places. The LGA 2011 platform is for extreme users--people who are absolutely going to overclock (unless you get one of the CPUs that do not overclock although most don't). What will you be using the computer for? Mostly gaming? Some video editing? Most games don't take advantage of more than 2 cores, so the quad-core ivybridge platform, which is much cheaper than LGA 2011 might be better suited for you. Of course, if you are planning on doing a lot of 3D rendering, video editing, CS6 type stuff then you will get much more out of LGA 2011.

unexceptionalgeek

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Ill be using it for gaming/editing/rendering. The gaming wouldnt be heavy but not light either. And id also like to ask how long into the future these components will still be classified as new ?

Merueth

Honorable
May 24, 2012

As good, probably around 3 years. As the latest on the market, less than a year. Unless you do stuff like AutoCAD, then stay away from lga 2011. You can save $350 by going with the i7-3770k, and performance will be almost identical for what you want to do.

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Well "new" doesn't really exist for long when it comes to PC components or technology of any kind, but these will be considered powerful for a bit. I personally wouldn't upgrade them until at least 2 years from now. That CPU right now is pretty much one of the most powerful on the market and the graphics card is also very powerful.

Certain things are easier to upgrade--want more storage space in a year? throw another HDD in there. Graphics cards, while expensive, can be upgraded easily by buying a new one or buying another of the same kind you already have and using SLI/XFIRe.

Honestly if you throw in an SSD you're fine. Although i've heard that for stuff with CS6 AMD GPUs are better with something called CUDA-- i don't know much about it, but it's worth looking into.

Merueth

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Actually, Nvidia GPUs are the ones that use CUDA.

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Ah, you're right, it was OpenCL. The guy in this thread kept going on about it: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/351581-31-2011-1155-build#t2641672

but to unexceptionalgeek, i would definitely consider also downgrading to a 3770k-- you'll save a significant amount of money and it will also be considered "good" for 2-3 years.

I edit and render anywhere from 3-8 videos a week and my 3570k (which doesn't have the 3770k's hyperthreading) performs just fine.

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

There are several options. I have personally bought ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards in the past, and both were good.

Here's the motherboard i'm currently using: ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131853

Another good one from ASUS if you eventually decide to do a lot of overclocking: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821&Tpk=ASUS%20z77%20sabertooth

Here's a good one from Gigabyte: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128549

And one from MSI, whom i've never bought from but I haven't heard anything bad about them: MSI Z77A-GD65 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130643

You should be fine in terms of SLI/crossfire and overclocking for any of these boards.

Merueth

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Oh...... :p. I would still get it if you can. The Gigabyte UD5H is also good.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
look bro... you overspending on the most overated part a PC... the motherboard, you dont need a Rampage IV Extreme... a Sabertooth X79 will do the job, you still havent told us your budget but i am guessing its between 1800-2000$ so here you go! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aV82 you dont have to look further, thats the best PC you can get for that budget, altough if you have more money, let us know so we can make you something faster

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

hello mate! Cuda is a exclusive technology that allows programer to easily code a program using a variant of a programing lenguage called "C" and its used since G8X cards, i am not gonna details on how it works becuase i dont want to make this post very long but you can google it if you want ;)

Cuda gives you a HUGE performance boost in task that are normally handeled by the CPU like video encoding/decoding BUT... the latest gen cards from nvidia (GTX 670&680) are basically a piece of crap when it comes to CPGPU (helping the -cpu do stuff) processing because of some locked stuff in their chips, altough future Tesla and Quadro GPUs based on Kepler architecture will brutally rape previous Tesla and Quadro GPUs in CPGPU