Sign in with
Your question

P4 PSU?

Last response: in Components
November 2, 2012 4:16:22 AM

I have an old P4 computer that i wanted to upgrade the PSU on, when i bought a new PSU it didn't have a certain connector my old stock PSU had (the 4 pin connector that is very close to the processor)

So my few questions are these. Do P4 motherboards require a special 4 pin connector only found on certain PSU's? and if so, would there be an adapter i can use to turn another connector in to the P4 connector?

Is something like this what i may need?
http://www.altex.com/ATX-to-P4-Power-Adapter-FLT-3650-P...

I may be answering my own questions here, but i just want to make sure before i buy any more stuff that turns out not to be compatible or even work.

Thanks for any info.

More about : psu

a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2012 5:22:17 AM

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused by your question. Are you referring to P4 as to the CPU you currently have? Or is this a brand-name of some sort?

Also, what PSU did you purchase and what are your system specs? I know some motherboards require 8-pin CPU connectors but can still run off of 4 pins.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2012 5:29:38 AM

The newer psu probably came with a 8-pin eps 12v or 4+4-pin atx 12v either way you can plug it into the 4-pin on the mobo. You can't plug the wrong half in only one side should fit but make sure the half not plugged in doesn't touch the mobo. If it does touch the mobo you could buy this and tie the extra part up so it doesn't touch the mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 2, 2012 7:28:11 AM

Edit: Nevermind guys, i made a stupid mistake. The PSU is working great, but my video is still not showing up when i plug my monitor in to the new video card.

I'm thinking it has to be a faulty PCI-E slot. Does anyone know how i can test my pci slot online some how? Everyone i know owns a laptop, so i cant test to see if its just a faulty video card.
m
l
!